Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A little help from my Musicplayer friends....what would you do ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took a listen to some of your tracks; nice stuff. I like the song "Too Long Gone"; some really pretty strong lyrics there with a pronounced message in them. I've battled the same emotion myself.

Are you one of the writers in the band? I'm listening to 'Deeper Waters' right now. Oh wow, that's kind of wierd that I just heard "muddy waters" and it's combination of words, I have a song that goes.... not the same at all, but strange in it's similarity

High and Mighty Mo

Inside the banks of the Missouri

Still water's all the eye can see

The water runs so deep it's frightening

You don't know how shallow he can be

The undercurrent's going to get you

The whirlpools will drag you down

There is no sink or swim

Once you've seen inside of him

In the high and mighty Mo, you're going to drown

He'll cleanse your soul in muddy water

He'll lead you to the promised land

He'll give you a little taste of heaven

Then wipe the dirty off his hand

[chorus]

© 2002 AFK

Originally posted by Ani:

I just took a listen to some of your tracks; nice stuff. I like the song "Too Long Gone"; some really pretty strong lyrics there with a pronounced message in them. I've battled the same emotion myself.

Are you one of the writers in the band?

Thanks a lot. Yes, I am the writer in the band.

Sometimes I kinda' wish I could get someone else to sing but that's another story. :D I'm very happy to write and play backup but that's not the way things have played out I'm afraid.

I'm happy to be where I am however so it's all good. I'm greatful to be a working musician.

"keep rockin' buddy"?????? oh no he did'nt!

Hey,hey! I downloaded thet ditty BAGDAD cause I got a song titled NEW RULERS and I wished to compare the two.

I listened and compared. I'm listenin' now.. "right there"

I win .. ahhahaha!

Not once did I use any foreign names like bagdad or jihad or shebad or dagnab or rehab.. uh ahauh

when I play my tune NEW RULERS I can smell camel shit and bloody dust and I can hear the water sellers cries off in the distance and feel the hot dry winds. if you listen closely and carefully you can even hear stuff I know I did'nt put in there.

desert sounds. like the water seller .. veddy odd . I don' know how that stoff got in there. folkes ask and I jus' shrugg. .

so all that from two guitars an' some simple lyrics. no effects, no home no motorcar. not a single luxury. like... uhwhere was i..

oh yeah... NEW RULERS and BAGDAD. you listen an' you decide.

you can hear the shovels digging the graves in my song. I did'nt put that in there, not me..

they have decreed no cuttin up

there is to be NO GETTING DOWN.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

hey,hey! shikawakka!

all kiddin' aside hombre' your stuff "sounds" about two million times better than mine. whats all that noise for at the beginning and end of BAGDAD?

I thought it was a heartbeat and maybe a helicopter?

all them effects aside; I tried to make mine sound as if i was on the back of a camel first then jumped off and walked into one of those caves with out missing a beat. cave that is.. you can hear the ambience thicken as i walk deeper into the cave.. I used a two dollar pencil mic to record mine. .

your stuff sounds expensive and very well done.

i would just fokkin' rule the world if I had a sound that goode. great studio sounde.

I kinda like the beachboyosity "oooh" you got in there. only it's kinda out of place in a war song, you know.. to me.

maybe a kuh,kuh,khu,khu semi-auto shooting sound or the ratt,tat,tat, ratt,tat,tat of a machine gun. I put in drum sounds to approximate gun pops.

hey shikawkee! thank of your lyrics then read these..

ever since our new rulers have come to rule

they won't allow our children to go to school

there are so many dead

you know the blood runs red in pools

this ever since our new rulers have come to rule

no names makes this anywhere anytime anywho songage.

play your song ten times then play my song ten times. my song is as fresh the tenth as it was the forst..

um that is.. uh.. ahh in my opine. ahahaha! ahem..

. thanks for lettin' me share..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Originally posted by arellspencer:

[QB]hey,hey! shikawakka!

all kiddin' aside hombre' your stuff "sounds" about two million times better than mine. whats all that noise for at the beginning and end of BAGDAD?

I thought it was a heartbeat and maybe a helicopter?

all them effects aside;

i would just fokkin' rule the world if I had a sound that goode. great studio sounde.

I kinda like the beachboyosity "oooh" you got in there. only it's kinda out of place in a war song, you know.. to me.

maybe a kuh,kuh,khu,khu semi-auto shooting sound or the ratt,tat,tat, ratt,tat,tat of a machine gun. I put in drum sounds to approximate gun pops.

QB]

Thanks Arell, I do have a bit of studio experience. Not that it matters these days ! :D

The 'bomb' effects are my Tele through an ART SGX Express 2000 set to 'Wah Swell' I think and I just attacked my guitar here and there for percussive effect and I played into the effect. The 'helicopter' is a combo of a record scratch and a kick sample intertwined and EQ'd a bit.

The 'Beach Boys' bit is a parody of sorts. Kind of an inside joke about patriotism. I thought it was kind of subversive for a war song (which really isn't a war song, just some observance on my part).

I think I took a less direct route than you did with your song. Six of one, half-dozen of the other I guess, huh ? All good....

:thu:

Originally posted by arellspencer:

hey shikawkeedude theys both of 'em "in the can" ain't they!ahahaha!

you want one of my all original and homegrown twenty-one track discs? I'll be glad to jet you one..

Right on, I'll send you a PM with my address.

I'd love to hear it.

BTW: Bob Olhsson mastered my work so I can't take all the credit ! :thu:

You people crack me up. Let me get this straight... this girl is sitting in her car at a stop light, some asshole opens her car door and drags her ass out of the car onto the pavement and steels her car and you ridicule her for not locking her door?

Sounds to me like Shikawkee is a victim. If you sent your material to someone here on this forum that has done what you say, expose them!

GY

Look, this situation sucks but the folks who said I never should have sent it were kind of right.

I never had this problem EVER when I was in advertising but this music/entertainment business is, as we all may know, really, really slippery.

You just can't trust anyone who you think you know or who posts here a lot or maybe even who has a reputation. Some people in this biz are extremely irresponsible yet seem to get away with it.

Unfortunately, some of us are of an honest nature and trust until proven one is not to be trusted.... Sadly enough, by the time we learn that one can't be trusted; we've already got burned.

I've made some really grand acquaintances on the forums here; such as the SOMA team members, Dak, Tedster, Craig A., and some others. However, there will be those that I will keep at the distance of Internet only and I will use scrutiny in what I'm willing to share with whom.

Shikawkawkee -- it's not that you shouldn't have sent the stuff, it's just that you shouldn't have sent originals. That's the cardinal rule. Never send originals.

GW -- sending originals is not akin to a girl sitting in a car with an unlocked door. It's reasonable to sit in a car with an unlocked door and expect to be safe. But it is unreasonable to send originals.

Shikawkee is in no way a victim. I know it may seem that he is a victim because something bad happened to him, but he alone is responsible for his loss. Even if the reciever of his original art were not a stranger via the internet (which should have triggered extra care on his part), he was doing a frisbee toss of original art into the postal system.

Imagine if the girl in your story figured she'd take a nap on a road during rush hour, and someone ran over her. Whose fault would it be?

My point is not to rail on Shikawkee. It's terrible that he's lost this stuff, and had to deal with the aggravation, and I hope he gets his stuff back. But now he knows, and everyone who reads this should know: NEVER SEND ORIGINALS! NEVER!

To cast him as the victim dilutes the message, that somehow it's OK to send originals if the receiver is trustworthy. But that's wrong. The character of the receiver is irrelevant. Never send originals!

Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Duddits:

To cast him as the victim dilutes the message, that somehow it's OK to send originals if the receiver is trustworthy. But that's wrong. The character of the receiver is irrelevant. Never send originals!

True - but that doesn't excuse the other person's behavior, either. I think we've all wanted to help Ed and make the point that he shouldn't have sent the stuff... and he obviously realizes that at this point... but meanwhile the other person still has his stuff and is lying to him. Come on, either send the stuff back or come clean and admit you lost or damaged it and can't send it back. What's the problem here?

Even if the reciever of his original art were not a stranger via the internet (which should have triggered extra care on his part), he was doing a frisbee toss of original art into the postal system.

I think I got the part about not sending originals already. BTW: They weren't ALL originals, just some.

Secondly, again, this person is allegedly a reputable person who others here know quite well and deal with occasionally. Yes, I was stupid but no, this person is not entirely unknown and owns their own business. I expected more from them. My mistake. Again.

Third, it was all sent via Fed Ex with self-addressed and pre-paid postage for return.

No excuses.

Okay, so here's an update:

The package finally arrived today. First off, not all of the materials are here but it looks like on first glance that it at least some of the more precious items to me are. Second, they lied again when they said they'd sent it Monday, before I posted. They sent it Wednesday which is why it came today. Big shock.

So, I guess my posting did have some good effect after all. Thanks to one and all for your comments and support.

Please be careful out there kids. It's a wicked world.

Okay, so here's an update:

The package finally arrived today. First off, not all of the materials are here but it looks like on first glance that it at least some of the more precious items to me are. Second, they lied again when they said they'd sent it Monday, before I posted. They sent it Wednesday which is why it came today. Big shock.

So, I guess my posting did have some good effect after all. Thanks to one and all for your comments and support.

Please be careful out there kids. It's a wicked world.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

True - but that doesn't excuse the other person's behavior, either. I think we've all wanted to help Ed and make the point that he shouldn't have sent the stuff... and he obviously realizes that at this point... but meanwhile the other person still has his stuff and is lying to him. Come on, either send the stuff back or come clean and admit you lost or damaged it and can't send it back. What's the problem here?
I couldn't agree with you more. They're really two issues that unfortunately intersect, and one doesn't excuse the other in any way. Whoever it is deserves to be covered with fleas and stripped of his flea collar.

Shikawkee -- apologies for sounding pontificating. I was really responding to someone else who suggested that if the reciever were trustworthy, then it's OK to send originals.

I know you know!

Congrats on getting at least most of your stuff back.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Archived