Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK Friends just in case

desertbluesman

Just in case this forum goes belly up. don't forget to sign up below so we can continue our discussions among old friends.

http://guitarplayersforum.boards.net/board/3/guitar-players.

If you Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/123386328039007/

join our group see Caev or I for admission to the Facebook group.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I've mentioned before, you guys are always welcome at our forum as well:

http://thestringnetwork.com

Yeah. Sure. :/

Just went there but didn't see anywhere to register. I don't recall ever registering there, and it's administrator board was disabled.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Let's just hope we can stay together on this forum under the new management. The ProBoards that DBM mentions above was set up just in case this one should ever go down. I hope many out there will sign on to it even if they don't post, as we will have a place to contact each other if needed. I have never been on Facebook and probably won't go there... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I know I asked this before-I updated my login at TSN, then took another long hiatus. Sorry to ask again, if you have any username/password info for me, could you maybe PM me, or send it to skipt@hotmail.com? Thanks a bunch.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah. Sure. :/

Just went there but didn't see anywhere to register. I don't recall ever registering there, and it's administrator board was disabled.

Whitefang

Try it now. The table for registration was crashed (had a server restart last night because of the storm). You should be good to go!

I have never been on Facebook and probably won't go there... :cool:

The Stringnetwork is a forum and, while we DO have a Facebook presence, the forums are just like here. The forum has been quiet lately but it has been running for 10 years now. (Actually ten years exactly on Jun 6th). A lot of Guitar Player members are either over there now or at least already have an account.

Thanks AString! I knew that the Stringnetwork is a forum separate from Facebook, of which I have avoided since FB's inception LOL! I will be sure to take a look at TSN if this forum goes down. The ProBoards forum does not get a lot of use (only about 5 of us posting on it). But, it does give us a partial listing of guys/gals that have signed on from the GP forum should future contacts become needed.
Take care, Larryz

As I've mentioned before, you guys are always welcome at our forum as well:

http://thestringnetwork.com

I am registered there although I have not participated there much, but I have it bookmarked just in case.......

Well, just registered @ string network. Now just waiting for my activation e-mail. :)

Whitefang

I used to use a gmail address for registering, but Gmail has started using 2 factor authentication and of course, a forum isn't able to do that. For now, I authenticate manually. so, you have been added and are good to go!

W/all due respect to Craig's TSN forum, which I've been visiting for yrs & has some excellent cotributers, I must point out that the preeminent music site on the Net is harmonycentral.com, whence our once stalwart Craig Anderson fled w/ his SSS forum, when he quit here.

It's even more active than MPlayer once was 20 yrs back, w/a huge number of instrument-specific & production forums.

...but to reiterate...

?

Is there another GP panic on ?

Is this a yearly event now ?

d=halfnote

I've been on several forums (fora?) over the years. Today, everyone has fled to Facebook

Yeah, most of the String Network's activity has moved over to it's Facebook page. Not unlike the way forums took over BBS's, many years back, Facebook is now slowly replacing Forums. To be honest, Twitter has been replacing Facebook, in the past few years, and a lot of the buzz is that Facebook will soon go the way of MySpace, in the next few years. But, I digress. Truth is, forums are probably on their last legs, only really good for support sites etc.

I've been on several forums (fora?) over the years. Today, everyone has fled to Facebook

But, I digress. Truth is, forums are probably on their last legs, only really good for support sites etc.

I agree. Facebook gets a lot of comments but no real threads I'd a single subject (except political). With the latest skinny on how FB has allowed data mining of our personal info, I'm trying to withdraw.

Oh well, I will just keep on posting on the forums as long as there are a few others joining in.

I prefer any alternative to Facebook. I go there because of friends and family. I do prefer this forum and the ones we created over Facebook any time. If it weren't for family, and old friends whom I have reconnected with since as long ago as my high school years, I would quit Facebook in a minute. I'll hang in here for as long as I can, and I hope most of the regulars will also.

Plus, even before the recent scandals, FB has some severe intellectual property issues.

Did ya ever actually read what they "own" EVERYTHING YOU POST---pix, vids, music, they claim full control & use of.

d=halfnote

For now I guess I will just sign in when I use the other site as guest (Jimmac). I lost my sign in name and password at the other site and our system held up the message with link to update (good for one hour I think) for 9 hours before posting it to my email. When I retire in a few months I will reset everything. Jim

If you're talking about the Proboards site Jimmac, you can just sign on to it and join at anytime. No waiting for passwords or invites...Doc can help you out here on the PM's too, if you need help. Click on the 1st guitar players forum boards link in the OP posted by DBM above and it will take you to the site. In the upper right corner click on "register"...
Take care, Larryz

Yeah, most of the String Network's activity has moved over to it's Facebook page. Not unlike the way forums took over BBS's, many years back, Facebook is now slowly replacing Forums. To be honest, Twitter has been replacing Facebook, in the past few years, and a lot of the buzz is that Facebook will soon go the way of MySpace, in the next few years. But, I digress. Truth is, forums are probably on their last legs, only really good for support sites etc.

No, it is Twitter that will recede... it's already happening. Most people don't want that kind of interaction (I can't stand it...). Our current POTUS keeps it in the news, but the platform is not the future. It's about what the younger generations grab onto... and they have been fickle, making something like SnapChat or Vine a big deal for a few months then leaving en masse one day when it isn't cool, anymore. Those things all become popularity contests, ultimately, with people following celebrities instead of peers and friends...

Facebook is probably here to stay for a while... the people I know who make a great production of leaving the platform are back in a couple of months, every time. It's like a City that people get annoyed with and try to leave, but after getting lonely in the woods they come back because everybody else is there.

Twitter was a good idea when it started (epigrammatic comments& short messages) but quickly became full of pointless blather.

As to FBook, I hardly ever have visited for the past 5 yrs & then only in response to a direct message.

It's actually quite easy to not miss.

For any communication even vaguely like this forum, it would be useless since there's no separation of subject matter...is there ?

Further, it's always claimed complete ownership of anything posted there---so adios to posting original material unless y'wanna give it up.

I'm still wondering,however, why this is coming up again ???

Last year New Bay seemed to be convinced of the cost/benefit/effectiveness of these forums...is there an apparent danger now ?

d=halfnote

I really never found anything done on and with FB that I haven't been able to accomplish before with just e-mail and a simple phone call. I quickly perceived it mostly to be a return to the eighth grade in both attitude and intellectual level. AND 1st grade for spelling and grammar.

I also quickly tired of all the pointless pics of unremarkable grandchildren doing truly unremarkable things, and pics of pets doing nothing really interesting, but posted with all the fanfare of something incredibly profound.

I'll take a "forum" or message board over it anytime.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived