Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Wyman Moved Five Feet

I'm coming out of lurker mode to research some trivia.

Many years ago there was a band called The Rolling Stones. In this band was a bassist who stood stock still while his bandmates pranced about in rock 'n roll glee. A hurricane wouldn't tip him. Or so it is told. His name was Bill Wyman.

A friend of mine said that at last during one show Bill Wyman was inspired to step forward a few feet. The crowd erupted in a standing ovation.

My question: Did this happen? When? Where? What song? Why did he move?

I've searched the net, expecting to find it on some Stones lore page, but I've come up empty.

Why do I care? I was working on some lyrics and my friend's words "Bill Wyman moved five feet" popped into my head. It seems funny and symbolic in the context of the tune, but I'd like to know the details of said event before I commit to it. If it's just a myth, that's fine too, as long as it's a well-known myth.

Thanks.

Deef

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the most animated ever was was :"the A.R.M.S Concert" from 1983- w/ eric clapton, jimmy page and jeff beck and an allstar lineup. while they are doing the slow section of 'layla' and percussion guy 'ray cooper' is beatin the hell out of a gong w/ a big mallet at the back of this huge stage, b.wyman turns around and sees this and cracks up and tries to get eric and everybody else to check out the crazy drum guy. its a classic scene.

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I think I saw these Rolling Stones as you call them back in 1975 in a large venue called The Forum near Los Angeles, California.

As I recall, one of them stood in one place most of the evening but was forced to move when a giant inflatable phallus, some sort of theme-related stage prop, apparently malfunctioned slightly and lurched toward him.

Now, I have very clear recollections of a show the very next night at a small club called The Roxy, in Los Angeles proper, where a then little-known act named the Wailers played. They were fronted by an energetic and chrarismatic singer named Bob Marley. I understand they went on to be something of a phenomenon until Mr. Marley's untimely death. (I saw them again in a larger venue in '78 but the Roxy show was the one that stuck in my mind.)

Wait, I do seem to recall something else about this Rolling Stones band. I seem to recall that one of the most intiguing and talented members of that band, a Brian Jones, was found dead in his swimming pool back in the 60s. We can only wonder if they would have gone on to capture the fame and glory for which they earlier seemed destined had Mr. Jones survived.

I did see the Stones at the L.A. Coliseum in '81 on the infamous "pelt Prince" tour. I don't recall ever noting whether Wyman was on stage or not.

The key to this whole trivia thing is that some show he moved and got a standing ovation for his effort. Myth or reality?

Deef

Well, I'd say it's a myth. I've seen the Stones a whole bunch of times, and although Bill's statue-like stage persona was always a running joke with the band and their fans, it's not exactly true that he never moved. He would in fact walk around the stage a bit. He was also quite legendary for being the Stone who pulled the most girls, so generally, he was checking out chicks during the show. If he saw one he particularly liked, he'd walk to the front edge of the stage and sort of stare at her, so the security guys would know to hook him up with her after the show. That may have been what the audience was applauding about in fact - possibly Bill was staring at a girl and she flashed her tits at him or something.

My favorite Bill Wyman reference in a song:

Well she held a bass guitar and she was playing in a band

And she stood just like Bill Wyman

Now I am her biggest fan.

Now I know i'm one of many who would like to be your friend

And I've got to find a way to to let you know I'm not like them.

Now I lie in bed and think of her

Sometimes I even weep,

Then I dream of her behind the wall of sleep.

- Smithereens "Behind The Wall Of Sleep"

I always thought that was kind of the Stones image thing. Watts and Wyman act kind of unimpressed, while the guitarists get into their jams, and Mick struts around like a rooster in the hen house.

It's a very effective approach.

I think Mick stuffs his trousers too. More bands should do that. The guitarist in Journey does it. Derrick Smalls in Spinal Tap apparently keeps an armadillo in there, as well.

It's a Rock-n-Roll thing! :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

I always thought that was kind of the Stones image thing. Watts and Wyman act kind of unimpressed, while the guitarists get into their jams, and Mick struts around like a rooster in the hen house.

It's a very effective approach.

I think Mick stuffs his trousers too. More bands should do that. The guitarist in Journey does it. Derrick Smalls in Spinal Tap apparently keeps an armadillo in there, as well.

It's a Rock-n-Roll thing! :thu:

I'd say a big kielbasa would work nicely. If a lady were to say "I want what's in your pants" you could whip it out and say "Would you like mustard, kraut, and onions with that?" :eek:
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

OK, I've got a question:

There's a Rollin' Stones song "19th Nervous Breakdown" fulsome with a repeated ("riffpeated"?)descending slur of triplets.

A similar line occured in Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made for Walking".

Which was recorded first?

Originally posted by Bunny.:

I used to dig the Smithereens. All those minor-key pre-grunge pop songs. Hell, Smithereens probably started the Grunge movement, but no one noticed or ever gave them credit.

I wonder what the hell Pat and the boys are doing these days?

Pat, with and without the group, has playing fairly often in the Annapolis area.

Archived