Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mainstage 3 + VB3 + 32 Lives (or equivalent)?

Bobby Simons

Is anyone here running this? Ive finally moved to a new Macabook Pro and Mainstage 3, and am desperate to get my VB3 up and running. Im not quite sure how to proceed. Mind you, my previous MBP and Mainstage 2 is still working fine, but getting long in the tooth.

Thanks in advance!

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is advice coming from a huge VB3 fan: Buy a modern Hammond VI (like AcousticSamples B5 or GG Audio Blue3) and leave VB3 in the dust! These options sound way better than VB3 v1.4 and are less difficult to get running on 64-bit systems.

Ive previously listened to both and was not knocked out, I will give them a closer look. Believe me, I would switch if I could. Im perennially pissed off at Guido for blowing off the Mac users who bought his product, and at his contempt for the whole platform in general. Still, Id like to have VB3 running, I can easily get what I want to hear with it.

I think that would probably work out for me. Apparently you cant download a demo, which is unfortunate. I just spent 45 minutes with the GG Blue3 demo, I couldnt get it to sound even as good as the Logic Vintage B3 that I spent hours tweaking last night to sound like my Emerson-ish VB3, lol.

There is no demo option for B-5. But that is not unusual for sampled instruments. B-5 is a hybrid sampled and modeled VI.

After hanging on for the longest time with VB3, buying 32 Lives so I could continue using VB3 with MS 3 and believing Guido's posts back in '13 that VB3 2 was coming real soon, I finally accepted the reality that VB3 1.4 was abandonware.

I got B-5 within a week of its first release and believe that it has moved the game on.

Some still believe VB3 1.4 is the benchmark but I have yet hear of any Mojo or Gemini owner asking for a roll back from the installed VB3 2 to 1.4.

So clearly there was plenty left to improve in VB3 1.4 but hardware is now the only option to get the improved version.

For VI users B-5 hits the sweet spot right now. Rich, detailed sound, and better balanced in the top end.

Sure I still go back and play VB3 wrapped in 32 Lives and there may be one song out of 100 that I think sounds better, but no way could I justify spending the same amount on 32 Lives now to keep VB3 running rather than buy B-5.

Plus Arno at Acoustic Samples sets the bar for world best practice in terms of support. As an early adopter I noticed a number of wrinkles in V1. Arno had a beta available every 24 hours for me to test the fixes until it was perfect and became a public release.

I know another forum member here recently had some suggestions to fix mapping issues with a HS XK3c and they were resolved in a similar way.

Oh and yes I tried everything to get Vintage B3 sounding like VB3. Couldn't get it but I do use it as a transistor organ substitute as the Martinic Vox and Farfisa no longer work correctly in Sierra.

TL:DR?

B-5 sets the current benchmark in clone VI tone from a best in class dev.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I own a 2011 Macbook pro retina and i'm on Yosemite.

VB3 runs smoothly (with the aid of 32-lives) on Mainstage 3. No problems so far and it really sounds nice

There's no special proceedure. You just buy 32-lives and it will function when you open VB3 in Mainstage (or Logic,...) by itself. Nothing special for you to do, other than buy 32-lives

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I can't manage to get Mainstage to see VB3. I installed the VB3.component file, my demo version of 32Lives sees and has 'resurrected' it, yet Mainstage still doesn't see it as an AU Instrument - restarts doesn't help. Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind - I see it now.

Bobby, if you open MainSatge and go to the templates, there are 2 decent B3 settings in the Tonewheel organ template.

They are good starting points; check them out, they might work out for you!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I feel that VB3 is truly unmatched in the satisfying, woody 'thunk' of the percussion in the lower two octaves. Now, granted: I probably don't spend a lot of time playing down there, but that's the first thing I look for. I couldn't get it in Blue3, and I wasn't able to find a good example in the B-5 demos I heard, which may well be to my liking.

So, my decision is: 99 bucks for 32Lives, or $109 for B-5? Or get both and buy my wife something nice?

The "thunk" you mention was also missing from Logic's Vintage B3 and no matter how I tweaked it I couldn't get it. It is there in B-5.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Agreed, I couldn't get it either, nor could I get the overdrive to sound convincing.

Anyway, I went for the 32Lives/VB3; I also have a couple of 32-bit plug-ins I would like to continue using. However, I have decided to get the B-5 as well. In the interest of continued marital bliss, I need to spread these acquisitions a bit apart.

Trouble with all VI's there is always one thing they get right.

I also have several Leslie Sims including PSP's L'otary and Melda's MRotary. Each has their merits and then there is DB33 from AIR music. DB33 gets the Jon Lord tone but nothing else.

But B-5 ticks more of my boxes more of the time so everything else lies dormant on my SSD.

Archived