Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: RIP Keely Smith

Dave Bryce

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read this. Sorry to see her pass on. She was fantastic. Not a lot of people could hold their own next to Louis, but IMP she could actually surpass him.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

She was beyond impressive. You know the Rat Pack used to go listen to Keely & Louis after their shows. Truly an entertainer's entertainer.

I have no doubt..

It's funny, the natural or is it unnatural divide between singers, and musicians, men and women ( used to be called the battle of the sexes ), dark skin and light skin, rich poor, on and on.. it is so wearying.

Applying this realization about my dumb bias, to the great Keely Smith.. as a musician, I never really deeply engaged myself regarding various singers and their relative strength.

But this thread gives me cause to do so.. and I would say Keely Smith is at the very top of all female singers.. and maybe even singers in general. I can hear her in my mind now.. she had an indefinable quality, that makes her singularly rare and great.

Whitney comes to mind, true. as does, Sarah, and Ella, but Keely "did it" with a minimum of flourishes in her singing; just her raw untampered with, gift of singing.

I understood she was part Indian ( Amer Indian- which is of course truly ridiculous that we still call Amer Indians, Indians at all )

Can anyone confirm this?

[video:youtube]

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I understood she was part Indian ( Amer Indian- which is of course truly ridiculous that we still call Amer Indians, Indians at all )

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I can. We still DO call them "Indians," because they call themselves that. My ex is a member of the Seneca tribe, and their official name is "The Seneca Nation of Indians," the name they themselves use.

And in reality, there's no such thing as "Native Americans." There were NO indigenous peoples on the North American continent.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived