Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best keyboard to imitate 80s synth sounds

chulo

Looking for a keyboard to play 80s songs, I guess a retro synth keyboard like this one would be best? But can you recreate the same sounds with the newer versions of roland? Would like to be able to play a wide range of songs, Thanks :Toppa:

I guess I'm looking for the cheapest option too, not with too many functions as I probably wouldn't use them.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the ROM/Sample based keyboards have many synth sounds made popular in 80s music. But wether or not they are the ones you need depends on genre and luck. Yamaha will obviously have a lot of DX timbres essential to 80s pop electric piano, bass, etc. And Roland is all over 80s pop with their synth strings, pads, "acoustic" piano or 80's grand. You can find close enough patches and edit simple stuff like the ADSR and cutoff to do a decent cover. But if you are hot to nail a sound some programming is necessary and something like the Kronos's 9 engines would be best - plus doing some of your own sampling. Alternatively a keyboard you like and laptop with MainStage would be a killer combination. The Yamaha MOXF with added flash RAM card would be a decent choice too and cheaper. And the Roland DS maybe being cheapest although the Korg Krome is pretty budget friendly and packed with sounds.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Nord Lead.

On a more serious note - I find the VR-09 very capable in that role and quite affordable. What I like about it is that it has all the "base" tones I need and the ability to easily tune the important parameters to get you close enough....envelope, filter cutoff, delay, reverb.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I'd say most two-oscillator VA synths could do the job. It would be much easier (and fun) to dial in the sound on a one-knob-one-function synth (check out a used Roland GAIA) a opposed to having to dive into pages and pages of menus to adjust parameters.

I guess I'm looking for the cheapest option too, not with too many functions as I probably wouldn't use them.

That's probably not the best approach unless you're under a REALLY strict budget. That 'extra' function is only extra until uou need it. Hard oscillator sync, for example, is only an unnecessary feature until your band wants to play some Cars tunes, then you can't nail the sound without it.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Nord Lead.

On a more serious note - I find the VR-09 very capable in that role and quite affordable. What I like about it is that it has all the "base" tones I need and the ability to easily tune the important parameters to get you close enough....envelope, filter cutoff, delay, reverb.

You know, when I first read the post I wasn't thinking ROMpler, but considering your post I'd have to agree with the VR09. When I had one I found it really easy to find and rapidly tweak the out of the box sounds to a reasonable approximation on the 80s tunes.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Nord Lead.

I can agree that a Nord Lead (A1 in my case) is very good for this. It is a very easy synth to use and generates very nice, full, rich sounds. Like everything they touch, Nord did a good job with this synth.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

I guess I'm looking for the cheapest option too

Under $500 would include Korg Minilogue, Arturia Microbrute, Roland Boutique synths, and a variety of used keyboards if you look around.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Don't forget 80s is more than VA. Early digital synths like DX7 and D50 were big

And others... I'm sure you can find a great deal on a used Fairlight or Synclavier. :w00t:

Peter-Vogel-Fairlight-CMI-30A-631x392.jpg

http://www.realhd-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/synclavier.jpg

Used Kurzweil PC361 maybe - has many "vintage" patches, usually identified by something that resembles the name of the artist or song. Dave Weiser and others at Kurzweil R&D did a fine job of nailing a lot of those sounds, I use them frequently.

Probably not the cheapest, the value has held up rather well on my Kurzweils.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Every time a DX7 patch rings an angel get his mullet...

My Korg M1 served me well for for this stuff back in the day ... then moved to Triton which had all bases covered too ... good deals can be found on these at the auction sites ..

:keynana:

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

Not the cheapest option, but Kronos gives you full DX7 compatibility, and Busch did some great sound packs with lots of 80s hits sounds, too. Add a Roland D-05 for the full D50 experience. For the more purely classic analog Roland synth stuff, Kronos VA may get you close enough, but otherwise you could also add one or more of their VA Boutique modules (JP08, JX03, JU06). That's probably how I'd assemble my ideal 80s rig, but as I said, not cheap, and maybe overkill.

Alternatively, a VST system could be a good (and possibly more cost effective) way to go. Dexed gets you DX7, PG8X might give you what you need for the Roland analog thing... I'll leave more specific suggestions to others.

ETA: iPad could be another sound source, even in conjunction with whatever else... there are apps that emulate Fairlight and Korg M1, among other things.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Check our the Korg "King Korg" The keybed is nothing to write home about but the sound engine is stellar. It has accurate emulations of vintage synth filters, which makes it easier to go from Prince to Duran Duran.

agreed. I've seen used one for under $600.00

:nopity:

Roland D-05 and a used MOTIF rack and some non-descript VA controller. The Novation stuff actually sounds decent.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Not sure how authentic to the 80s it was, but my Virus kb (b model) sounded fantastic for analog stuff...Journey, Loverboy etc. Not sure it could do much with DX7 fm sounds but I didn't try it. Still to this day my favorite keyboard as far as sound and build quality and key action, especially for the $--I got it used for $600.

Having all the knobs right there was super-fun live, I made fewer patches overall but tweaked the heck out of the ones I had on the fly! :D

Speaking of knobs, I'm still having fun with my Korg Radias. Even after 8 years I keep discovering something new... and it does analog plus DX type stuff quite well.

You could probably find one for a good price on the used market.

:keys2:

(check out a used Roland GAIA)...

Great choice for something ultra cheap and simple to operate for analog-ish sounds. They're often around $300 locally.

There's nothing in the above video that screams "This must be real analog!" There's not even any real time parameter manipulation other than pitch bend. So it could be done on practically any rompler as well.

And BTW if you like the sound of that JX-8P in the video, they are fairly plentiful - and not all that much in the used market. Right now there's a JX-10 locally for $650 on CL - and that's pretty typical. Seller claims everything works on it.

Some good suggestions above. I would also add depends on how many sounds/parts you want to play at once. Some VAs are limited to one part, others not, with ROMplers traditionally giving you 16 at once.

I play in an 80s rock band and you can see what I use in my sig. You can get by with cheaper boards. I like Nords and could afford it so went for that route.

If you want a cheaper option I would route for the FA-06 (although the keybed isnt great). It has all the classic roland sounds, can manage 16 parts/splits, has a sequencer if you need that for certain songs, and can trigger samples (I use samples of signature sounds from the originals in some of the songs I do). Its also light to move.

If you have a Macbook and go Mainstage this can also be a cheap(ish) route and offer flexibility

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Does it have to have keys? The new Roland D-05 Has pretty much every sound that defined the 80's and is cheap.

Add a controller and you're all set.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I like AnotherScott's angle. If I were to reproduce an 80's live rig the predominant emphasis would be sources for analog (e.g., Prophet-5, OB-8, Jupiter-8, CS-80), DX-7, D-50, and perhaps CP-70. I recall trying to identify these keyboards when hearing songs on the radio. Much more difficult to do these days...

In terms of new gear, I'd probably go with a Nord Stage, Kronos, and D-05 and call it a day. Some of Nord's VA's remind me of the Prophet-5 (my favorite analog synth ever) so I'd be good with the Stage's synth section. Of course, like Scott mentioned, not an inexpensive solution, and if money were no object, this rig would flanked by a 3-tier stand that included a Prophet-6, OB-6, and System-8.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Nord Lead.

I've been discovered the same, though with a VR-730. It's basically the same instrument as a VR-09B, plus 73 waterfall keys, and a handful of additional sounds - a few of which are in the LA-Synthesis 80's camp.

Though it's mostly SuperNatural-based, it seems to set more of a retro mood than other SN instruments I've used.

The current VRs are super-intuitive to program, and there's plenty of vintage synth resources on board. Something about the interface and sound draws me in. This is one of those synths that I start tweaking, then find it difficult to stop.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

What about Deepmind 12. Seems like that would be the best bang for the buck in terms of analog 80's sounds, and easy to program without menu diving. I may be wrong as I don't own one. I was tempted to buy one but I'm holding out for the elusive Behringer OB x!

I am really waiting for the Behringer OB-XA also.

When I did the Famous Synth programs I would always research the original synth used. This was somewhat for sound but mainly capabilities, functionality. Most VAs can be coaxed into sounding like any other VA/RA if all you're doing is a simple filtered saw or similar. You're in a better position to copy a sound if you know precisely the possibilities and limitations are of the original synth. Then live within those and go after the sound. With 80s pop the arp and sequencer are also very important. Often, the arp isn't enough and you need a decent sequencer as well.

So you want a synth that's absolutely as versatile as possible, which is why the Kronos works so well. At the load end, the Roland Gaia might be a good option (I haven't worked with it personally). The King Korg is also very tempting. Wish it had a sequencer in addition to its arp.

Busch.

Archived