Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Of course! why didn't you guys think of that?

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But does it have aftertouch...?

Honestly, I can't see how you'd play, say, piano with any dynamics, but it's probably okay if all you're going to do is straight synth stuff. Looks like about 15 voices for 4 octaves--I imagine a lot of people would be able to get by with that and be quite happy.

I just don't happen to be their target market.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

"why didn't we think of that?"

Because we are musically trained and enjoy discovering the depths of our current instruments.

I consider the Roli Seabord innovative: this reminds me of the control panel on the USNS Seaview before it arcs itself to death.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Interesting. Not my cup of tea, as others have said. We've seen the Roli keyboard, and other input devices (Ewi, kaossillator, Kaos pad, etc.)... trial and error.

Music history is full of inventions that turned out to be more of a curiosity than a useful innovation. But at least someone is *trying* new stuff. Sure, the keyboard is hard to improve on (especially since we're all used to it), but eventually someone will invent a truly intuitive, useful musical interface that doesn't have the learning curve of Everest and enables musicians to "break through" to whatever is next.

I'll be dead by then, but you guys enjoy!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

[video:youtube]

does it have drum patterns ?

Or is the demonstrator tapping his foot next to a mic ?

It also looks surprisingly close to the furnace air filters I bought at Home depot today.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Actually, I was thinking that it reminded me of the floor tiles in a hotel bathroom.

Grey

waking up on hotel bathroom tiles with a hangover is no fun.

maybe that was source of design inspiration ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Playing "piano" on a thing such as this is like getting your dog to dance on his hind legs. Its an amusing achievement with a limited half-life. I'll never fully grasp why people WANT to play acoustic instrument sounds or Pink Floyd covers on these things. I'm hard-pressed to name any Eigenharp stars, which seems odd for such a broad, surreal instrument. It doesn't seem to have set anyone's imagination on fire... and it should have.

You'll need a large vision to find this instrument's true voice and by the time you do... the audience will still remain baffled about the relationship between the sound and how you're making it happen. Being a general non-Luddite who has enjoyed Kaoss pads, wind controllers, ARP sequencers and wonky percussion devices, I'm not opposed to anyone who embraces Weirdness. I just look at this thing and feel the same way I did when I saw the 20-foot-tall Hello Kitty with very generous teats and visible panties through whose legs you had to pass to enter a HK convention in Japan. The resulting brief fugue state is too far removed from the more virtuous one to be had from sitting at a Prophet-12 for the first time. I'm either an old fart or I'm right or both and/or my opinion is just more twaddle in a world already swamped in it. Same to you. :wave:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Archived