Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact/Fatar TP8O issue

heavy_keys

Hi everyone,

I just bought an NS 2 EX 73, brand new/factory sealed and...

...The keybed is as I read on the forum - a little bit too springy (not quite a problem). I was somehow aware of Fatar keybed drawbacks (especially hammer-action ones) used by Nord and Kurzweil, leaving me no choice than picking the simplest and smallest/lightest one (semi-weighted/waterfall), hoping for lower noise and less possible problems. I also have an Yamaha CP40 for heavier keys anyway...

There is though some minor issue that bothers me:

- Besides the general physical noise of the keys (springs, resonance of the metal body), there is a key (F5, the second F from middle C to the right) that has a particular and annoying "ticking" when pressed medium-to-hard. I'm using this boards just at home for my personal pleasure and with my headphones on, this is the only noise that I can hear from the keybed. I repeat, it's a physical/mechanical noise (it does not affect the audio output or functionality/velocity of that key). I would describe it as "a sharp tick" when the key is pressed medium/hard and nothing when depressed. It's like some small piece of metal or plastic is hitting another part of metal/plastic etc. I can also press the key softly near the bottom (no noise) and then apply some pressure to get that "tick". I could also describe it as "a piece of plastic cracking" but it couldn't crack every time I press that key, right?

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions from the forum members that experienced similar issues with this keybed in Stage Compact or Electro...

Thanks,

h_k

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got a NS 2 EX73 that is my primary board these days and gig with it about 4+ nights a week. I've never heard any mechanical noises or anything like you describe, so you may have a defective unit. I'd post over on the nord forums as well for some additional feedback. I'll be using my NS2EX73 tonight and will double check F5. When I had an issue with my Nord Stage Classic 88, I posted about it in the nord forums and a nord representative their (Pablo Mastodon) pointed me very quickly to a nord authorized repair center that was 10 minutes from my house.

+1 on Pablo. He's super helpful and will help you get it sorted in short order. Since this is a brand new instrument, that really is your best course of action.

I think you'll get used to the vaguely spongy feel of the keyboard pretty quickly. It gives you pretty good velocity control for pianos but won't tear your hands apart doing organ glasses. I think it's a great compromise.

-1 on Pablo... :(

I gave him an e-mail including the link to my norduserforum-thread and besides an apparently automated ultra-nice first reply, the second was:

"My existing time commitments do not permit me to offer the kind of detailed tech support you are seeking on this. Apparently you have a somewhat sophisticated understanding of keybeds in general. My advice would be to open it up and have a look..."

Really?!? This is what a Nord representative tells a customer who just gave around 2600 USD (new, verified purchase) on one of their top products??

...And this happens after another quite defiant automated reply from Nord customer support in which we are somehow noticed that we might not get an answer. Of course I didn't get any, it's not my first attempt in getting some info from this guys...

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer opening it myself and solve the problem, whatever it takes, but this attitude?! Why can't they "offer the kind of detailed tech support I am seeking on this" as long as I'm willing to make this effort? My money and this are not enough?

I even tried ordering a whole replacement keybed for it at my local reseller and even their supplier, but nobody seems to trade spare parts...

Manufacturers (and their reps) generally don't guide users on doing their own internal adjustments/servicing. Usually the best you get is operational support, and beyond that, direction to a service center.

From what you describe here, I think you can either take your chances and open it up to see if you can determine the source of the clicking sound, or, since it's brand new, return it for another if you're within a return period or have it serviced under warranty. Realistically, those are your options, and I don't know what else anyone can tell you, other than, no, it does not appear to be a common complaint.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Manufacturers (and their reps) generally don't guide users on doing their own internal adjustments/servicing. Usually the best you get is operational support, and beyond that, direction to a service center.

:) Of course and none of those happened...! I'm willing to even spend another amount for a spare keybed but from whom? Maybe a trip to Sweden should do it... :)

And as Pablo's time is so precious, he could at least say "something", or even plain nothing, than spend so much writing about it's time commitments that won't include stupid customers who fill their pockets.

This is about a totally wrong attitude and a huge lack of respect in the first place. The norduserforum is full of guys complaining about their poor communication and lack of transparency...

From what you describe here, I think you can either take your chances and open it up to see if you can determine the source of the clicking sound, or, since it's brand new, return it for another if you're within a return period or have it serviced under warranty. Realistically, those are your options, and I don't know what else anyone can tell you, other than, no, it does not appear to be a common complaint.

This is what my reseller suggested - that the noise will go away in time... It's hard for me to predict, as hard as making a decision to send it back. The online store I bought it from resides in other European country and as this "third-party keybed misfortune" happens for Nord and Kurzweil, it's a great chance to get another imperfect one instead...

When I say "third-party keybed misfortune" I'm not making a general assumption and point my finger on Fatar only. It seems that Nord & Kurz have a more "spartan" approach implementing these in their "steel tanks", made especially for on-stage noisy environment. I have a "contemporary" example to support my theory: Korg Havian 30 - it sports the same Fatar TP100LR also found in HP Nords & Artis/Forte SE and it behaves a lot quieter!

Why not return it for a new unit? If it came with a busted key dangling (like my first Stage) would you be asking a forum how to deal with it?

Thanks for your input!

Look, if you burned as much time and energy to reply, would you please spare a bit more and also read what I wrote? I know it might be too much for some but... :)

Bless,

h_k

Why not return it for a new unit? If it came with a busted key dangling (like my first Stage) would you be asking a forum how to deal with it?

Thanks for your input!

Look, if you burned as much time and energy to reply, would you please spare a bit more and also read what I wrote? I know it might be too much for some but... :)

Bless,

h_k

I understand your frustration, but taking it out on us won't help. You have a busted keyboard that you spent big bucks for. You can't get a replacement part, even at your own expense. You are afraid or unwilling to open it up to deal with it. Sounds like you have ticked off Pablo (an amazing feat.) And you are unwilling to send it back. Sorry, I'm out.

Moe

---

Besides a good source of "real world" info, I take these forums as an opportunity to make ourselves heard, by whom might be interested. I'm an optimistic person and hope is the last thing anyone could take away from me. Things might change! If not today, maybe tomorrow... :)

Speak out and vote! Otherwise, you can't complain... :)

I finally opened my NS2EX73 and I'm trying to convince myself that the keybed doesn't look too bad...

It's clear that the Fatar quality standard (finish, at least) is way below anything. Poor plastic everywhere and the worse: 50-60% of the right side of the chassis was torn. They probably left an area without that metal bracing/reinforcement so they can "snap" the frame and discard those 3 extra keys (from 76 to 73), but it's raw though. Even the left side has some tearing...

If you look in proper lighting, the keys too seem very much like used, even with minor scratches. Maybe Nord is tweaking something and than cleans/wipes them out...

The weird noise I though it was from the spring, it wasn't, as I removed the spring and the noise was still there. I've moved forward and released the key latch so I may see something beneath the key. As I didn't remove the whole keybed from the case, I wasn't able to remove the key completely but it was enough for me to see something unusual near the rubber contact. I'm talking about a small plastic burr (if it's the correct word) that came out beneath the metal frame, exactly in the hole left for the key bit to press on the rubber contact. As the key was pressed a bit harder, the key bit was pinching the thing (burr) and: "tzing, tzing" - noise! I was able to successfully cut that with a small cutter, without touching the rubber contact and done! The noise was gooone.... :):D

So, I've decided to make this compromise and keep it, as the rest of the unit is immaculate... :)

Archived