Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sampletank

Heartbeat

Finally got around to purchasing Sampletank 2 today. Got it up and running in no time. Although I certainly havent figured out what and how I want to use it yet, Im impressed with the ability to have up to 8 sounds on 8 midi channels with full split layer capability, built in mixing, more in-app sample availability. Velocity responds to my Nord C2 keyboards perfectly. No latency that I can tell. I see this replacing my Korg Module very soon. Plus it offer so many more possibilities all within one piece of iOS software. Nice. Took me a year to find this solution.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally got around to purchasing Sampletank 2 today. Got it up and running in no time. Although I certainly havent figured out what and how I want to use it yet, Im impressed with the ability to have up to 8 sounds on 8 midi channels with full split layer capability, built in mixing, more in-app sample availability. Velocity responds to my Nord C2 keyboards perfectly. No latency that I can tell. I see this replacing my Korg Module very soon. Plus it offer so many more possibilities all within one piece of iOS software. Nice. Took me a year to find this solution.

Thank you. I asked this question here but no one bothered to answer.

Are you restricted in any way? Can you use Program Change messages to load/call up new sounds?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I just got it so I'm a novice, but it appears you can setup your own patches and save them in the user section. 128 user pateches. You can adjust Midi channel, volume, pan, transpose, eq, filter cutoff, fx, reverb, etc. For each sound in the user patch. Don't know if you can use an external controller to call up program changes.

You can select MULTIS via midid PC messages (up to 128 only). That is in "live mode" where you can have up to 8 parts. In the default "song" mode, no you cannot select patches via MIDI.

Well, not that I have found as yet. I can specifically try that for you if you like? I use it only in Live Mode.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I just got it so I'm a novice, but it appears you can setup your own patches and save them in the user section. 128 user pateches. You can adjust Midi channel, volume, pan, transpose, eq, filter cutoff, fx, reverb, etc. For each sound in the user patch. Don't know if you can use an external controller to call up program changes.

These are the MULTIS - you only get 128 slots so use them wisely. You can very easily use them all up for various sound edits and leave none for, well, multi part setups.

You COULD, setup 8 different patches but control the "on/off" from an external keyboard (or laptop using Cantabile/Mac and mainstage) that allows you to control midi channel on and off.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I downloaded the free version yesterday and bought the Pro Classic Keys upgrade. Overall a nice interface but I'm very underwhelmed with the sounds. The AP is OK but the EPs just don't cut it. With only 3 discernible velocity layers, they have very obvious breaks and don't bark when you want to dig in. The sounds take me back to my 1994 Kurzweil PC88 - I was hoping we'd moved beyond this on the iPad. I wish I'd saved the $20 for a nice bottle of red.

For iOS we have a couple of great APs (Ravenscroft and Ivory Steinway) but the EPs are still substandard. Neo Soul Keys is my favourite of a mediocre bunch.

Now if only I could find a player where I could stream large soundfonts from disk, then I could port one of my favourite Kontakt EPs...

I downloaded the free version yesterday and bought the Pro Classic Keys upgrade. Overall a nice interface but I'm very underwhelmed with the sounds. The AP is OK but the EPs just don't cut it. With only 3 discernible velocity layers, they have very obvious breaks and don't bark when you want to dig in. The sounds take me back to my 1994 Kurzweil PC88 - I was hoping we'd moved beyond this on the iPad. I wish I'd saved the $20 for a nice bottle of red.

For iOS we have a couple of great APs (Ravenscroft and Ivory Steinway) but the EPs are still substandard. Neo Soul Keys is my favourite of a mediocre bunch.

The all-the-sounds-in-one-app approach tends to fall into the classic category of jack of all trades, master of none. Sampletank doesn't even have IK's own best EPs, those are in a separate app (iElectric).

Running multiple apps at once (within the limits of your particular i-device) will probably get you better results than trying to rely on one app for everything, whether you replace Sampletank or merely supplement it. An app like iMidiPatchbay can smooth the process or integrating multiple apps, it basically brings them into a single environment for patch selection (most apps are compatible), or you might not even need that if your keyboard allows you to easily select/store MIDI transmission channels and Program Changes. As long as you stick with apps that have their own MIDI channel settings, combining multiple apps can be pretty straight-forward.

Now if only I could find a player where I could stream large soundfonts from disk, then I could port one of my favourite Kontakt EPs...

Although you won't be able to load huge files, check the apps below for soundfont playback. There are some nice soundfonts that aren't too big.

bs-16i

http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/index.html

Soundfont Pro

http://www.itimsystems.com/product-soundfontpro/

Caustic

http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

MIDI Keyboard/MIDI Sampler/ME MIDI Sampler

http://www.ngcybit.it/iTunesApp/music/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm currently running AP, EP and Organ instruments as separate apps on separate MIDI channels no problem, but I was looking at Sampletank as a possible new source of EPs. For iLectric would you be able to tell me how many velocity layers you can hear on your favourite Rhodes patch for middle C?

Thanks for the suggestions for SoundFont Players. I'd looked at bs-16i and Soundfont Pro, neither of which can stream, but I'll checkout the others. I'm sure it won't be too long before we have larger EPs to match the >1GB APs.

Thanks for the suggestions for SoundFont Players. I'd looked at bs-16i and Soundfont Pro, neither of which can stream, but I'll checkout the others. I'm sure it won't be too long before we have larger EPs to match the >1GB APs.

It is interesting that large streaming samples are so rare under iOS. For a long time, there were no apps that used sample sets bigger than what fit in available RAM, typically a few hundred megabytes tops. Then there were a couple that had larger sets, but not enormously so... I suspect they were using lossless compression rather than true streaming. I was thinking maybe iOS simply didn't support that kind of streaming, on a system level. Or maybe there was a hardware bottleneck of some sort in the design. But then Crudebyte came out with their Colossus Concert Grand which includes about 14 gb of data. So I guess there is some way to do it. Unless maybe that 14 gb of data includes different sample sets (different mic positions, for example), and still no one set is terribly large? But if they are indeed truly streaming from storage in real time, I think they're the only iOS developer doing it. (They still haven't applied that tech to their EPs... their download of 5 EP models requires a total of 1.6 gb of storage, so none of them can be that large.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks. I got Sampletank 3 for free in a IK promotion last year and really haven't messed with it at all. I was immediately put off by their fixed windows and fonts that can't be enlarged. But maybe I'll try it again, if I can do multitimbral.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Yes the $20 Classic Keys bank - see the IK website for details.

Yep and they are not too bad. Sample times are not as long as in the dedicated iLectric App, and there is a bit more note dropout due to polyphony, but in a mix, usable!

I am running ST2 (latest version) and as I already have all instrument packs available, I am not getting any options in the shop menu, sorry!

EDIT: to update...

I was experimenting with ST2 not long ago. I love the lay out and ease of use, but in the end the sounds just weren't good enough.

I didn't get classic keys...maybe I should have.

I found the sounds didn't really cut well though, and you would need to run any hammond sounds through a vent, as the sim is really a variable speed chorus effect and far from convincing. That of course creates issues if you are doing anything multitimbral, unless there is a way I don't know of of sending the organ signal out separately (maybe using a mixer before the vent and panning the hammond to one side and whatever else you are using to the other side?)

I really wanted it to work, and spent about $100 downloading samplemoog and a few other sounds, but in the end I preferred the onboard sounds in the Kross. I may revisit at some point though.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I'm looking to replace Korg Module in my rig which has been giving me problems for quite some time. I'm not crazy about the sounds in Module either, and from what I've heard the ST samples are certainly no worse. The interface is also much better, but I need to get these additional bread and butter sounds for sure.

I'm looking to replace Korg Module in my rig which has been giving me problems for quite some time. I'm not crazy about the sounds in Module either, and from what I've heard the ST samples are certainly no worse. The interface is also much better, but I need to get these additional bread and butter sounds for sure.

Other apps that give you the b&b stuff in a single app would be iM1, Sound Canvas, ThumbJam (and GarageBand, but it doesn't play nicely with others)

SampleTank seems to be doing everything I've wanted from it so far. Working exclusively in Live mode using Nord C2 as a controller going into IPad mini 2.

One thing I haven't been able to achieve thus far is send volume control messages via Midi from the Nord. Oddly enough, the C2 sends Swell pedal c.c. info on controller #4 according to Nord's Midi implementation chart. From what I've learned, Midi volume is usually sent on channel #7, and expression on #11.

Can anyone suggest a work around here?

Thanks for all your help.

Archived