Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie soundproof enclosure.

Gary75

I'd like to construct a box to put my Leslie in so that I can crank it without getting complaints from the neighbours. I'll want to feed mics into tne enclosure and then pipe it through PA. what's tne best sound isolation to use in the construction does anyone know? How much can you reduce the volume by having it inside a sealed box?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will lose all desirable characteristics of having a real Leslie by sticking it inside another enclosure. Mic-ing this would be a nightmare. Get a Ventilator or a similar Leslie sim. Guaranteed it will sound infinitely better than taking this approach.

You could model it after a "WhisperRoom"

http://www.whisperroom.com/

Build a box or line a closet with foam from Auralex.

Either way, you Leslie will sound like it's been stuffed in a box lined with foam :rolleyes:

To expand (expound?) on the other posts a bit, part of the beauty of the Leslie effect is the phase and doppler interactions with hard reflective walls. Listener / mic distance is another factor. Thus, a small enclosure will not sound as good as a simulator that takes room reflection into account.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

You will lose all desirable characteristics of having a real Leslie by sticking it inside another enclosure. Mic-ing this would be a nightmare. Get a Ventilator or a similar Leslie sim. Guaranteed it will sound infinitely better than taking this approach.

This is exactly what I was going to say. By isolating the Leslie in a tiny box, you're essentially robbing it of everything that makes it sound cool, ie the reflections of the sound off the surfaces of the room it is in.

Archived