Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chop an 88 key hammer action DP to 73?

mountainjammer

Okay, probably not a good idea for a project, but has anyone ever tried? Im tempted given the apparent limitations of the market.

Alternatively, what high quality 73 or 76 key hammer action DP's are available that are in the 25 lbs range? The Casio actions on their px-5S and px-560 are great and these are great boards at 25 lbs.but would love the same in a more compact/shorter keybed. Thanks for any thoughts!

BTW, I've ruled out Roland's RD-64 since 64 ain't enough and I understand its action, while weighted, is considered heavy/sluggish.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's been done, check out

http://www.minetticustomkeyboards.com/

As for 7x hammer action boards in the 25 lb range, you could look at the Dexibell S3 and P3, and the various Nord HP models, all of which use a Fatar TP100 action, though the Dexibell specs the 3-sensor version.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, it's been done, check out

http://www.minetticustomkeyboards.com/

As for 7x hammer action boards in the 25 lb range, you could look at the Dexibell S3 and P3, and the various Nord HP models, all of which use a Fatar TP100 action, though the Dexibell specs the 3-sensor version.

Thanks for the link!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Yeah I might have to go down that route. I've tried everything, and it seems that in 73-76 weighted, you can have any ONE of good/light/cheap.

Minetti at least scores two.

(In the interests of balance- Studiologic Acuna is light+cheap but the action is SO sluggish/heavy I couldn't get any subtlety/exrpession out of it. Nord and Dexibell use TP100 and expensive, but the Electro HP I tried at least had a faster action than the Acuna).

Cheers, Mike.

Yeah I might have to go down that route. I've tried everything, and it seems that in 73-76 weighted, you can have any ONE of good/light/cheap.

You pretty much can't get cheap at all, because...

Studiologic Acuna is light+cheap

...and apparently discontinued (in the 73).

Nord and Dexibell use TP100 and expensive, but the Electro HP I tried at least had a faster action than the Acuna).

And the Acuna was TP100 as well. But it is interesting that not all TP100s seem to feel the same. I wonder how much of that is software vs. hardware differences. The ones I've played are Numa Nano (the worst), Kurzweil Artis (very briefly), Numa Stage, Dexibell P3. The last two felt better than the first two to me. There are assorted versions (2 vs 3 sensor, with or without aftertouch), though it's also possible that other changes have been made over time that would not be so easily identifiable.

Anyway, I think the cheapest non-TP100 73 hammer action at the moment would be a Korg SV1, though it's up at 38.5 lbs. Feels okay, and as many have noted, connects especially well with its EP sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I agree with your opinion Scott - the difference between the Acuna and Electro was night and day. I would say the Electro was probably about 80-90% of the way towards "acceptable minimum", while the Acuna was at 10%.

I played a RD64 at the same time, which was probably around 60% once I adjusted the velocity sensitivity. But 64 keys is insufficient for me - I could sense the limitation as I sat down to play.

I'll have to try an SV1 again - I had a play a few years ago and seem to remember "quite" liking it (especially for EPs as you say) but my standards are much higher now...

Why is it the decent actions (Yamaha, Casio, Kawai) aren't available in 7x sizes? I know, I know... I'm the nineteenth person you've had to tell today there's no demand.

Cheers, Mike.

IWhy is it the decent actions (Yamaha, Casio, Kawai) aren't available in 7x sizes? I know, I know... I'm the nineteenth person you've had to tell today there's no demand.

Nah, I've never made the "no demand" argument, though I've seen it. ;-)

I always find the keybed discussions fascinating - preferences vary so widely. I'm interested in what Scott was wondering about what might account for the differentiation between the various TP100s in terms of features: I use the Acuna 73 and It actually has both aftertouch and a 3-sensor bed. It's not the highest end feel by any means and I like it most for its weight and size, but with a modeled software like Pianoteq, I feel like I get a lot of expression from it, probably more than the nords. Scarbee actually also wrote at one point that the Acuna Tp100 was a great match with his Mark I because it gave a good Rhodes feel. Point is, I agree there's a lot of variation out there. Still waiting for that perfect, affordable 73 keybed, though...

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

How about the RH3 weighted hammer action that comes on the Korg Grand Stage 73? Anyone played on it? Not 'cheap' ... it weighs 37.5 pounds.

I still use old Kawai MP keyboard, and even a Korg T1 88 because of the great feel of those weighted (80 lb +) behemoths. But I don't carry them to gigs!! (I use Nord Electro or Roland synth). I too would love a good stage piano that plays nice but does not weigh a ton. Maybe a Midi controller plus iPad with Ivory etc is the lightweight way to go?

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707

A Minetti Custom Keyboard seems great.

Adding my voice to the chorus: high quality weighted keys, with quality classic keys seems like a good idea.

Greater portability for the demanding weighted keys player.

Thanks all for the comments! The Minetti is cool to see, wondering if anyone has tried or has the knowledge of how difficult a DIY chop would be. Assuming no circut board mods, it presumable would be a grinder to the keybed frame- but how about the connections?

I'd love to see a lighter, 7x version of them Grand Stage, rd 2000 or cp4, but now thinking an electro HP is the right mix of weight, size, sound and versatility. I think I prefer the action of the casios though. Anyone know what action they use and if any other brands use them? Thanks again!

I'd love to see a lighter, 7x version of them Grand Stage, rd 2000 or cp4

Well Korg does make a 73 on the GS, though it's still no featherweight.

Inow thinking an electro HP is the right mix of weight, size, sound and versatility. I think I prefer the action of the casios though. Anyone know what action they use and if any other brands use them?

AFAIK, Casio uses their own hammer actions, and does not supply them to anyone else. (Same in that respect as Yamaha, Kawai, Roland.)

Archived