Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hugh Hefner dead at 91

rickzjamm

One thing that often gets lost in the shuffle is that the girls in the magazine were not shanghaied into doing so. With a few exceptions, such as the original Marilyn Monroe photos, they came to Playboy of their own free will. They were paid for their modelling sessions. They were free agents, making their own decisions. Quite a few of them went on to very, very lucrative careers after appearing in Playboy--opportunities they would not have otherwise had.

Do you feel the same way about athletes? They're "objectified," but paid for their work...very well, in fact. Particularly apropos, given the discussion over whether football players suffer health-wise. That's a hazard that the models for Playboy never faced.

I'm always amused when people claim that women are objectified, but I never hear them complain about, say, Chris Hemsworth being shirtless (and being blatantly oogled by Darcy) in Thor, or the guys in the male stripper movie, Magic Mike. Hugh Hefner opened that avenue, as well. Now women could/can openly stare at men.

I want to make clear that I have absolutely zero problem with Thor flexing his muscles for the ladies. (I confess that Natalie Portman doesn't do much for me [even though she's a brunette], but there are other movies with girls for me to stare at.) It's all fair game.

My wife certainly didn't mind when Matt Damon was shirtless in the Bourne movies. I'm okay with that, too. I'm not so insecure that I get weirded out because she looks at a guy onscreen.

Hugh Hefner was a large part of the movement that led to that and we all benefit. If nothing else, movies are about life (sometimes quite extraordinary lives) and to pretend that flesh and lust aren't part of life is...well...a lie. Why whitewash life?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh man, it's no big deal, really. Everyone in town has done gigs there.

Well I was in town and I never did any gigs there! But for a good reason, I didn't have any talent! :roll:

The closest I got to the mansion was that one of my bass players was married to a Playmate. She was definitely not exploited, rather she was insane off the charts wild and crazy. She went on to some fame and fortune while we labored in obscurity.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Hef & Deep Purple on Playboy After Dark. There are some real gems on youtube from that show, which booked many great entertainers.

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

One more, since Hef, Jerry, Bill all in the news this year.

Sammy could really sing. Never liked his song choices, but damn.

PAD did really give the average fan a glimpse into these megastar's lives. I'm sure a show today where Beyonce drops by would be a big hit, too.

[video:youtube]

ETA: Cosby on Bass!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Perceptions as to what constitutes a "real" feminist vary in the eye of the beholder, so this article will probably be read in different ways by different people, but two self-described feminists talk about what it was like to work at Playboy:

Feminists working at Playboy

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Perceptions as to what constitutes a "real" feminist vary in the eye of the beholder, so this article will probably be read in different ways by different people, but two self-described feminists talk about what it was like to work at Playboy:

Feminists working at Playboy

Grey

Well, no ones going to confuse them for Catharine MacKinnon. I prefer the perspective of this piece.

No, Hugh Hefner Did Not Love Women

Busch.

Archived