Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rather see Joey DeFrancesco or Elton John?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Elton was playing a venue that Joey would normally play, then I would rather see Elton. Otherwise, I would rather watch Joey tear it up in a smaller club, than "try" to see Elton in the distance in a giant arena.

If you are trying to discredit the piano chops of Elton John (which is obvious) take a listen to 11-17-70, or watch him live on VH1 storytellers.

Amateur Hack

I went to see Joey D last fall with Clint Strong on guitar. They also had a drummer and a sax man. The show was in a nice hall at the Univ of Texas at Dallas. They were great.

Elton John - I'd pay NOT to see him, but I'm not saying that he knows nothing about keyboards. I simply prefer jazz and classical to pop.

Never seen Joey play. I worked the Elton John show in Nashville, in 1998. I know I wouldn't shoot spot for him again unless I was a stage truss operator, or if they've gone to line array's instead of the wall of Clair S4's. He carried his own FOH spots on a truss connected to the main light truss. We were 30' or so, directly in front of the S4's. Even with earplugs it was ridiculously loud.

So I'd probably opt to see Joey DeFransesco... well, that is, so long as Elton wasn't touring with a symphony, playing the old Paul Buckmaster arrangements, a la the Live in Australia tour he recorded back in 1987 or '88 with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by shniggens:

If you are trying to discredit the piano chops of Elton John (which is obvious) take a listen to 11-17-70, or watch him live on VH1 storytellers.

McCoy Tyner or Keith Emerson, he aint.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Abnorm:

I went to see Joey D last fall with Clint Strong on guitar. They also had a drummer and a sax man. The show was in a nice hall at the Univ of Texas at Dallas. They were great.

Elton John - I'd pay NOT to see him, but I'm not saying that he knows nothing about keyboards. I simply prefer jazz and classical to pop.

Same here, especially when it comes to wimpy pop.

Even with earplugs it was ridiculously loud.
I saw him in Birmingham on that tour (1998 or 1999). It was the first date of the tour as I recall and I was not expecting such a loud show.

It was extremely loud, yet very very clear.

I've seen Elton John several times since .. when he and his piano toured alone, and one other time not too long ago. It's wild to watch him play. When he did his solo tour, they had video screens on each side of the stage showing him playing.

I went home and tried to play with my fingers stiff as a board like he does....I don't know HOW he plays that way.

The man has some serious pipes. I'll seem him again if I get the chance. I recommend seeing at least one of his shows.

Apparently he takes great pride in blowing up his wedges ... here's a very interesting article. It looks like he now uses the Clair i4.

www dot jps.com.au/_html/Pdf/Elton%20John%20(lo-res).pdf

Originally posted by Jeebus:

New question: Who would you rather see live, Elton John, or Mr. Nice Jazz Guitar Guy?

That would depend if you like wimpy girlyman music or not. I don't play wimpy girlyman music.

Of course you're alot of talk and not much action. "Action" from your vantage point isn't making music, it's stirring up trouble.

I'm not sure you understand, flexoffset. Let me clarify.

I was suspended, along with 7 other FOH spot op's, 30' from the flown sound rig approx. 40' in the air. Of course, the speakers aimed directly at us were set up to throw to the back of the arena. :freak:

(On the show floor it would have sounded fine. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Mr. Nice Jazz Guitar Guy, I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in hearing your music. Surely someone of your musical calibre has some really cool MP3s that you could point us to? How about a link, hmmmmmmm?

Originally posted by Dan South:

EJ!!!

I've never heard of the other guy. Is he an extra from the Sopranos or something?

Heir and current king of the Jazz Hammond B-3. If you get a chance check him out. His organ trio smokes like it ain't no joke...

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Mr. Nice Jazz Guitar Guy, I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in hearing your music. Surely someone of your musical calibre has some really cool MP3s that you could point us to? How about a link, hmmmmmmm?

Sorry, you wouldn't like them, they're jazz and fusion songs, no vocals.

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

I don't play wimpy girlyman music.

Some might disagree.
Well I don't play metal. But I do play, little Jeebus. Funny, I've never gotten to hear you though.

Originally posted by Dan South:

EJ!!!

I've never heard of the other guy. Is he an extra from the Sopranos or something?

Actually Joey DeFrancesco was a child prodigy, from Philly. He was touring with Miles Davis in his early teens. Miles gave him a trumpet on his 16th birthday, and Joey shows some promise on it. His real talent is shown on the B3 and piano though.

Lucky for me Joey hasn't taken up guitar.

Also lucky for me, I'm not subjected to Elton's John on a regular basis.

I've seen Joey with John McLuaghlin and Dennis Chambers.

Yes it was a smokin gig. But it's just jazz.

Elton has a wider musical range. He might not play bop, but he can sing and a great songwriter, a legend.

Singers rule. Bop players are a dime a dozen.

:eek:

Archived