Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar amp for better rhodes sound from nord-what do you use

fjzingo

In real life, a Rhodes sounds fantastic thru a JC-120 or a JC-90.

Matter of taste.

Both my (Fender-) Rhodes mkI (1971) and mkII (w/ wooden keys) never sounded very good thru any Roland amp, JC-120 or the Cube-100 I used for jams and practise for some time.

I cannot help myself, but any Roland amp I tried sounded "boxy".

My Fender Dual Showman Reverb Amp was THE amp for my Fender Rhodes mkI when going from stock output w/ passive tone control into amp.

My prefered speaker config was 2x vintage 2x10" Fender (Cream tolex/brown grille) cabs.

I always had the impression the main goal of the Roland JC-120 was the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble derivate being built in, but I hated it too because it was so noisy.

A.C.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, what do you think about replacing the original speaker of a Fender Hot Rod deluxe, Blues Deluxe etc with something like this?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12lta-12-full-range-pa-driver--290-409

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

In real life, a Rhodes sounds fantastic thru a JC-120 or a JC-90.

Matter of taste.

Both my (Fender-) Rhodes mkI (1971) and mkII (w/ wooden keys) never sounded very good thru any Roland amp, JC-120 or the Cube-100 I used for jams and practise for some time.

I cannot help myself, but any Roland amp I tried sounded "boxy".

My Fender Dual Showman Reverb Amp was THE amp for my Fender Rhodes mkI when going from stock output w/ passive tone control into amp.

My prefered speaker config was 2x vintage 2x10" Fender (Cream tolex/brown grille) cabs.

I always had the impression the main goal of the Roland JC-120 was the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble derivate being built in, but I hated it too because it was so noisy.

A.C.

This is coming from left field, because I have not played a Fender amp thru a RHodes in many decades, but I thought "Boxy" was desirable ???

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

....In digital life---on the NE4---the Rhodes sounds sound very nice thru the JC amp sim........I use the Bright Tines EP from my NE4 and the JC sim.

After reading your post, I looked it up and discovered my Electro 3 has a JC sim. Do you specifically like how the JC sim works with the Bright Tines EP on your Nord, or do you think the JC sim works well with any EP on the Nord? Thanks.

I was so happy with the way the JC sim worked with the bright tines, I dialed it in and never went any further. So whatever your favorite EP on the nord is, try it with the JC sim. It's more of a high end shimmer than a grungy bark. But then again I'm running it bone dry, intentionally. Bottom line is I play a real Mark V thru a JC-90 (2 10's), and I'm amazed how close I could get it on the nord.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I mention in a new thread my interest in taking on an extra amp to augment the authenticity of Rhodes.

Are there any new guitar amps that would keep me off of eBay and pawn shops, maybe

$500 or so?

I can't think of anything "new" in that range offhand. But you can often find a used bassman head in that range, which is a nice pairing for a rhodes. In general, you'll probably be safe if you go for something with a fender-ish architecture with 40+ watts, unless you are playing at very low volumes (or want a fair amount of breakup, especially in the low end), in which case you may be able to get away with less.

Guys, what do you think about replacing the original speaker of a Fender Hot Rod deluxe, Blues Deluxe etc with something like this?

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12lta-12-full-range-pa-driver--290-409

I use these in my cabs for organ & EP's with tube amps: http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=EPS_12C

They can take a lot of wattage, the low end holds up well without getting crushed, and it has a nice clarity for the upper end. It sounds a bit like an EV12L, but only weighs 7 lbs.

I got myself a Fender Superchamp X2 head and run it through a 10"+tweeter PA speaker and it sounds great. Because of the tweeter I definitely need to pull down the high end once I start pushing volume. The thing I love about it is that its a tube power amp (15 W I think, maybe 20) with a modeled pre-amp which you can plug into your computer and tinker around with and make presets. I can have a different amp setting for my real Rhodes, my Nord, my Tele, my Synth, etc, and get to them with one knob twist. I'm not a tube amp expert by any means, but I think it adds a lot of legitimate character to any sound I put through it.

Early 1980's I owned a Mk1 Rhodes through a Fender Twin, then later a JC120A (ya don't know what you've got til it's gone). A few years ago I tried my NE4 Rhodes through the old JC amp and as others have already mentioned, the electric pianos and clav sounded fine, organ and AP's not so much. I do appreciate the weight of an Electro and K10 these days :laugh:
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

For what it's worth and as the owner of several Rhodes, digital emulations and tube guitar amps, it has been my experience that digital instruments through tube amplifiers are a recipe for sonic mush with Rhodes samples being the most glaring example. It doesn't even make sense for it to sound good.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Archived