Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unique rhythmic grooves

Eric Iverson

Listening as I write to the Pointer Sisters doing "Fire".

I can't think of any other song with that particular rhythmic feel.

Another unusual one is "In My Own Dream" from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band album of the same name.

Can you guys think of any others?

I'm thinking of writing tunes with similar feels, just to try something that is off the beaten track, at least for ME.......

Of course, it's not easy to get in a GROOVE without getting in a RUT... LOL

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty straight forward 1 2 3 4 finger snap beat, but Fever has like 3 or 4 different rhythm things going counting the vocal:

[video:youtube]

First time I heard this song was in the Elvis movie King Creole...Joe Cocker does an excellent version of it too. :cool:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Here are a few-some more obvious then others

I wrote a song based on a rhythm I heard in a club in Phnom Penh. For a while I was sure that Gwen Stefani was spying on me-it`s not exactly the same but close-

From a band I would file under `when pop doesn`t suck`-according to me of course-

Almost forgot this-

And this-

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Well, if you're gonna use Thomas Dolby for examples, his "Hyperactive" and "White City" from the LP "The flat Earth" are good ones too.

Then there's The Animals' "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". Which I learned was first done by Nina Simone.

If we can also use instrumental tunes, I might add Weather Report's "Between The Thighs", "Heavy Weather" and "Black Market" for examples too. Along with Mahavishnu's "The Dance Of Maya" and "Lila's Dance". And as a quick thought, Cream's version of "Born Under A Bad Sign" and Hendrix's "Little Miss Lover".

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Late gettin' here (been a busy week).

What I hear is [1 (2) & 3 & 4 / (1) & (2) & 3 & 4 ]

Honestly seems kinda ac common Crescent City thing.

As to Fever, the P Lee version's cool, rhythmically jazzy & , not to upset LarZ w/ his Big E fixation, I'd say ride the orig

Thanks, Skip for that particular vid version of TNKnows !

While that's a Lennon track sure'nuff, it reflects McCartney's fixation w/ rockin' up Indian beats, as we can her in several Beatle stracks for that period.

Dig.

d=halfnote

@ D, while it is true that I have a big E fixation, in this case I was just simply saying his version was the first time I ever heard this tune. The King Creole movie starts out with it...and I didn't post the big E's version, I went with Peggy Lee's live version. Her studio version came out much better IMHO. I know it was originally recorded by Little Willie John in '56 (which I really like his vocals too). And...it was co-written by Otis Blackwell and Eddie Cooley. Otis also wrote a lot of the Big E's tunes back in the day...It's just a tune I wished to contribute to the thread that I think has some cool rhythmic vibe to it. Kind of a Beatnik bar sort of thing.
Take care, Larryz

Sadly, "Fever", a tune that never grabbed me, is kinda overused in recent years.

In movies and some TV shows, whenever a young lady wants to show some skeptic club owner that she can sing "jazz", she inevitably winds up singing "Fever". And usually by singin' it "breathy" while snapping her fingers and slowly swaying her hips. It's really become a cliche.

YES' "Long Distance Runaround" is another entry for me.

And to contribute to Larry's "Big E" fix, I'll mention "Little Sister", one of MY favorite Elvis tunes. ;)

Whitefang

Not wanting to get on the Elvis ride, but Heartbreak Hotel has got a unique rhythmic groove to it:

Topped the R&B, Country and Pop Billboard Charts simultaneously...

Take care, Larryz

Well, I'd say if anyone wanted to prove that Elvis EVER did a BLUES tune, you nailed it! :cool:

And "Heartbreak Hotel" really isn't all that unique.

Give a listen to Muddy's "Hootchie Kootchie Man"-----

;)

Whitefang

Gee, Elvis's 1st record was a blues tune. Guess some ppl never read abt that.

& Heartbroke Motel ?

That's just a generic shuffle, innit ?

Here's yer Big E groove to explore...

The "4 /1" intro followed by the gtr that hits just a little off from straight 8ths multiplied by the snare that slams just ahead of the 4...now that's groovalicious.

But enough Elvis already.

Here's a couple unique rhythms fer ya'll...

Dig the gtr lines here, hear ? :D

Reggae, of course, is a consistent source for sparky riddems

Sometimes though, the hippest thing is one that you may not even notice.

Dig how John Lennon slipped a weird mix of 3/4 & 4/4 measures into the hit parade back in The Olden Daze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnnrEE4QIu8

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnnrEE4QIu8

d=halfnote

+1 Reggae rocks the unique rhythm world...then trying to get away from you Elvis fans, I'll throw in my hippie days with one of my favorite Donovan tunes The Fat Angel:

kind of an Ode to Billy Joe intro thing and then it goes from there...

Take care, Larryz

:confused:

Not catching the rhythmic magic there, Lar (see how I made that rhyme ? :laugh: )

How abt this 1 which ties together not just the unique rhythm thang & the Donovan thang but Bobby Gentry (Owed To Billy-Bob-Jean)

BTW, did ya (& that's all ya) ever notice how rhythm is the only 2 syllable word in English that has only 1 vowel ?

Tying even more together, here's Eric's citation from the OP abt Butters's "In My/His Own Dream"

It is a rhythmic stunner !

Actually in 3/4 but seems trickier than that.

Like the Funkadelic track above, a great example of how a musical line can trick things up !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrpjD20bIyA

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrpjD20bIyA

d=halfnote

@ D, Bobby and Donovan get down on what I was getting at with The Fat Angel and even with Fever...Many times the vocals drive the rhythm as in Donovan's The Trip or Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues...and I could never spell rhythm for the longest time LOL! (little play on words there too!). Anyway here's another example of some unique rhythms IMHO:

Take care, Larryz

Donovan's a good example Larry----

You may have noticed he played around not only with the rhythmic patterns of the music, but also with the pronunciations of everday words. As in...."E....lec....trical ba...NAN-a" ;) instead of "electrical banana" :) In fact, "Mellow Yellow" is another good example of "unique rhythmic grooves" :cool:

("Gonna take for-ev-er TO-flyyyyy...")

Whitefang

Gotta ask, what's unique rhythmically abt that ShaNaNa track ?

:snax:

In the meantime here's a tune I heard yesterday while shopping.

The rhythmic tricks have a somewhat unusual nature in that they have more to do w/the abrupt cut offs of notes than their start.

Dig the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLHro9EPD0

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLHro9EPD0

d=halfnote

@ D, what's unique about Sha Na Na rhythmically on the Blue Moon track, is it is totally different from all other versions of the 1934 original recording. The Big E brought the tune to the Rock and Roll / Pop audience as a cross over in 1956. But the real re-write and recording was done in '61 by the Marcels Doo Wop version. It hit the R&B Billboard charts as #1 for 3 weeks in a row. Sha Na Na didn't come along and do their version until '71 which is almost note for note with the Marcels. The lead vocal is going slow (not quite as slow as the Elvis version), while the backing vocals are running at about 5 times the speed of the lead vocal and the piano and drums come banging in using their tempos...the songs I've contributed to the thread, are simplistic if you only listen to the basic beat (not counting the stops and finger snaps) but I think there are different takes on the vocals that bring out a unique quality in the "rhythmic grooves". If you don't hear anything special about it, That's OK.

Here's the vocal trip by Donovan that I mentioned:

Take care, Larryz

@ Scott, Actually The Beat Goes on is the same basic track as The Trip. Donovan recorded the flip side of Sunshine Superman with The Trip July 1966. Sonny and Cher recorded The Beat Goes on 1/14/67... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@ Scott, Actually The Beat Goes on is the same basic track as The Trip. Donovan recorded the flip side of Sunshine Superman with The Trip July 1966. Sonny and Cher recorded The Beat Goes on 1/14/67... :cool:

All right then. Seems much too identical to be a coincidence. Maybe Carol Kaye thought that nobody would ever listen to a Donovan B side & just copped the lick.

Scott Fraser

Well, we all cop ideas from other people, LOL. Where it becomes plagiarism is sometimes hard to tell.

I read a science fiction story where they put a guy alone in a space ship, who had the genetic pedigree to be a great musical genius, with musical instruments but no exposure to other music, to see what would happen. They wanted to hear something completely original.

At some point, the guy was exposed to Bach, and somehow they found out about it, and sent a robot to burn out the music circuits in his brain.

Luckily, there are no robots programmed to do this YET - all of us would be victims!

What we NEED is robots programmed to INSTALL music circuits in tone deaf people's brains.....

• 2 weeks later...
@ D, what's unique about Sha Na Na rhythmically on the Blue Moon track, is it is totally different from all other versions of the 1934 original recording. The Big E brought the tune to the Rock and Roll / Pop audience as a cross over in 1956. But the real re-write and recording was done in '61 by the Marcels Doo Wop version. It hit the R&B Billboard charts as #1 for 3 weeks in a row. Sha Na Na didn't come along and do their version until '71 which is almost note for note with the Marcels. The lead vocal is going slow (not quite as slow as the Elvis version), while the backing vocals are running at about 5 times the speed of the lead vocal and the piano and drums come banging in using their tempos...the songs I've contributed to the thread, are simplistic if you only listen to the basic beat (not counting the stops and finger snaps) but I think there are different takes on the vocals that bring out a unique quality in the "rhythmic grooves". If you don't hear anything special about it, That's OK.

Here's the vocal trip by Donovan that I mentioned:

Backtracking a bit [i been outta town for a month & haven't checked in here]...

[1]

That Sha Na Na track of Blue Moon doesn't sound much like the orig or most of its covers b/c they were rockalizing it.

You mentioned the Marcels's version.

Why didn't you post that (or the Platters version) since everything ShaNaNa did drew from those versions ?

If we're giving credit for updating the orig tune's style, let's put it where it belongs, which ain't at the feet of Bowser & pals.

[2]

As far as Elvoid Presley.

He didn't record the same song. He recorded a version of a bluegrass tune by Bill Monroe.

LarZ, as this site's primary Elvis fan, I'm shocked you didn't realize that.

Unlike ShaNaNa, Elvis does get credit, along w/Scotty Moore & Bill Black, for actually rearranging it.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVFpThoeb4

d=halfnote

Archived