Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unique rhythmic grooves

Eric Iverson

That said, Hugo, the Konnakol clip's abit hard for me to follow, I think b/c it's flipping between things rather than simultaneous.

[font:Comic Sans MS]

Thing is, it wasn't. The guy was doing a run through the entire rhythmic cycle in one shot. The following clip is the first of a series that breaks the konnakol tala down into building blocks that are easier for people like us who weren't trained in Indian classical music traditions to deal with.[/font]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCYkXMHU-I

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, when I logged out of this site, this was on my screen, which was odd because I don't recall ever going to YouTube LOOKING for it. So I dropped it off here wondering if it fits in somehow...:)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

That said, Hugo, the Konnakol clip's abit hard for me to follow, I think b/c it's flipping between things rather than simultaneous.

Thing is, it wasn't. The guy was doing a run through the entire rhythmic cycle in one shot.

That was my point.

He wasn't doing a single musical example but a lesson in possibilities.

d=halfnote

• 1 month later...

Really did some digging here.

But recent "forgotten guitarist" topic caused me to dig up Matt Andes, and listen to some Jo Jo Gunne I haven't heard for a long spell, and figured these two fit here in a thread that shouldn't have faded.... ;)

[video:youtube]

I saw these guys open for Mahavishnu in '72 with THIS tune!

Features too some of Matt's well done slide work. ;)

[video:youtube]

Wow. :puff:

That's actually a good choice [JJ Gunne Academy Award].

The contrast of the vox & the diff basic beats (not to mention, so I wont, the lazy tambourine (!!!!!!) is somethang Elsie !!

-------------

It got even better when I hit the button in a seciond window to try findin' out what the track title is :roll:

Who'da thunk namin' yer band after a Chuck Berry tune would be so beneficial ?!

d=halfnote

??

Had the track title right on the clip. :idk

Must come through different on your server or somethin'.

+1 on the Chuck Berry song title band name. Wonder what other Berry tunes would work? And incidentally......

I knew some guys who didn't realize the lead singer, pianist and leader of the band was Spirit's Jay Ferguson. They thought THAT guy WAS actually named Jo Jo Gunne! :o

Whitefang

Archived