Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keeping acoustic piano and Hammond in garage

Gary75

Moved house and have ended up with a double detached garage. One side of which I want to make into a rehearsal room.

It's brick built with a pitched roof approx 15 years old and bone dry inside. It has two up and over garage doors.

What tips can you guys offer in keeping a tonewheel organ and an acoustic piano in that environment? Not bought an acoustic yet so any preferences on uprights that handle less than perfect environments?

Any coverings for both to minimise moisture when not in use, (duvet for instance) flooring? (Thinking of rubber flooring made from reclaimed tyres). Also any mods such as internal heaters of a low voltage variety that can be installed in both.

Also any structural ideas to keep both C3 and acoustic in good shape. I seem to remember seeing some organs with heaters installed.

I also figure seeing as they were the backup in many churches in the UK, the C3 at least should cope well with not being in a warm house.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a Yamaha P22 upright. It's the model designed for schools and churches, and built tough to withstand being moved a lot. A used/abused one might be suitable.

That said, I wouldn't put it in a garage. Even with humidifiers/dehumidifiers, I think the temperature changes would make the environment unsuitable for an acoustic. Spend less money and get a really good digital instead. I'd get a Kawai VPC-1 if you can live with needing a computer to play. If you have the money to buy a decent acoustic, you could buy a very good digital. Have you heard about the Kawai Novus NV10 due out sometime this year?

No problem with the organ. Just put it on ROKs and throw a cover on it. My only worry keeping stuff in the garage is mice.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

With a detached garage you really need to do a partial renovation as if somebody was going to live in it but without plumbing. Put insulation in the walls, put in two windows for cross ventilation, install a ceiling and a heater. All you have with a detached garage is shelter from the rain, that's about it. On a hot day with no ventilation it's probably 20 degrees hotter in that garage than it is outside. And don't forget about bugs and critters. If you're keeping expensive instruments in there you have to treat it as if it's part of the house.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

^^^

Will wreck a piano over a few seasons. Typically with garagea you frame out the space you need, sheet rock, insulate, do a floor where air can pass under and maybe a drop ceiling. Then temp and humidity regulate either with an extension of central AC from the house or a window unit and baseboard heat. It's like doing a basement home office size.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

What tips can you guys offer in keeping a tonewheel organ and an acoustic piano in that environment?

I have quite a large amount of music gear in my attached garage, including a Hammond A 100 with a Leslie 142. Stays heated in the winter. When looking for an acoustic piano I ended up buying a Yamaha CP 70 (after selling one previously). Seems to hold up well. It sounds like it does, but I like it better that a spinet that I would have gotten for the same price.

:nopity:

Can't speak to the B3, can speak to the acoustic piano. Swings in temperature and humidity will inevitably affect tuning, less so longevity. There will be times that your AP is reasonably in tune, but many more where it is not.

And no one likes to play an out-of-tune piano.

Strong argument for a nice digital, unless you want to invest in making it a temperature-controlled, humidity-controlled living space.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I keep a few items in a large panelled shed out back. I was wondering what to do about heating, in the end I bought an electric towel rack/drier. It was cheap to buy but I find it puts out just enough heat to keep the damp off. It's plugged in 24/7 and costs pennies to run

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to put my C3 in the garage. I'm going to get rubber flooring, old tyres that have been mashed up and made into flooring.

I'm also going to install a 15w bulb in the C3 which will dissipate enough heat to keep moisture out. Keep it wrapped in a duvet.

Also, have any of you (in particular those with motorcycles) used ACF50 corrosion block? It's MIL spec and used in aerospace on both airframe and electrical components to drive out moisture.

I bought some to do my car with but I think I may put some on a cloth and rub down the metal parts with it. I have seen enough organs that have had rusty bits, even moreso Leslie amps that have been in proximity with the floor. It gets really good reviews. I'm thinking wiping the Leslie amp chassis down, as well as the organ preamp. I dare say I could spray the components, although I'd keep it off the running gear in the organ. I have sprayed this stuff in my cars engine bay including fuse box. Kept it off the cam belt though.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving my C3 into garage today. I have purchased one of these to sit on the shelf inside organ.

Amazon

USB dehumidifier drawing up to 150ml. That coupled with thick duvet and applying moisture barrier on all external metalwork (ACF50) should keep things fine

Decided I am going to put a dividing thermal curtain down the centre as I don't need full garage for just myself but gives me the option of opening up to full size for potential band rehearsals. Then I'll put rubber on the concrete floor and insulate that half of the garage.

Might get another one of those USB dehumidifier for Leslies too.

Make sure all of the holes (lock downs?) are covered. Don't want mice discovering a warm, dehumidified hidey-hole.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I have a Baldwin Acrosonic spinet in my "barn," a one car garage sized building away from the house. No AC or heat. I keep all musical gear out there along with 6 bicycles and tools, a body and speed bag, and a set of weights. The piano does fine out there. If it destroys itself, I'll get another. This is the model of piano I took lessons on when I was 5. Like an idiot, I sold the real one years ago, cigarette burns and all. It holds a tune very well, but I have it looked at and tuned twice a year. Built like a battleship, this little spinet. If I had a new Baldwin grand, I'd take the advice given above.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived