Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the Yamaha CP 300?

Jazz+

Which action and grand Piano 1is the CP 300 comparable to? Is it highly recommended?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the action is the GH... similar if not identical to that in the CP33, CP40, CP50, P155, P255. The CP300 came out in 2006, so its piano sound is hardly Yamaha's state of the art, but it can still be enjoyable to play. Sound seems to connect well with the action, its massive weight makes it feel very solid, and mostly I think the benefit is the powerful speakers, which sound better than most (all?) other slab built-in speakers, and give you that nice vibration in your fingers when you play, which helps make it feel more like a real piano.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It's still in production, and is still a highly requested backline instrument for most touring professionals that need a DP. There is a reason why they are still being made given that they were introduced well over 11 years ago...action is graded hammer, i.e. heavy on the bass and lighter as you move up. Great rock n roll, pop/gospel/country/anything really, type piano. Many names still use it, Chuck Leavall, etc.,

I continue to use it when I'm on tour, and I still use a P200 for local, which is essentially an earlier version of the same layout--these pianos were favoured for the 30W internal speakers which really caused the entire chassis to vibrate when you struck a chord...many people felt this created a very natural finger-key connection.

It does have it's detractors...if you don't like the sound of a yamaha grand, then it's not for you. It weighs almost 70 pounds, so it's not a board for someone looking to take their rig on the subway en route to a gig.

anotherscott-we literally posted at the exact same time.. ;)

Thanks,. Now I remember it's the model that replace the P250 which I have extended experience with. If I recall the CP 300 is very similar to the P250 but they loosened up the action a little bit and the sound was improved a little bit otherwise it's the same beast.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

P200, P250, CP-300...they are all subsequent versions of the same piano...yes samples 'improved' with each model, as did polyphony, but to be honest, through an amp, in a club, I will take my P200 over my CP-300...the samples on that P200 just work in a way that no other piano seems to work for me.

It's very responsive action, but a day-time rehearsal on it made my evening gig(on a yamaha g5 grand) a complete struggle. I haven't played a cp4 yet, and have been wondering if cp4/5's actions are similiar in some way. It may be my problematic playing techniques, but the same thing never happened to my daily practice board Roland fp4.
I love Michel Petrucciani.

I used to see them used on Guitar Center's site for almost nothing, probably some still appear there. When my piano finally dies (it has a major soundboard issue not worth fixing) I've thought about getting something like this, since it has speakers for quick practicing and could also be used as a controller for vst pianos. I like that particular Yamaha action.

The CP 4 action is far superior, it doesn't shred your hands. The P2 50 action was responsive but dangerously stiff for my hands. I was continuously injured from playing that action.

I used to see them used on Guitar Center's site for almost nothing

IIRC, it was retailing for $2k and Yamaha discontinued it not all that long ago, but there was enough demand for it that Yamaha put it back into production... at $2500 retail.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I used the CP300 for a few years before the CP5 came out. I liked it and still do but I got around much better on the CP5 and now the CP4.

I always used the second piano voice on the CP300 - mellow grand. The first default Concert Grand was too bright for me - great for RnR , horrible for Jazz.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I haven't played a cp4 yet, and have been wondering if cp4/5's actions are similiar in some way. It may be my problematic playing techniques, but the same thing never happened to my daily practice board Roland fp4.

No, the two - CP4 & 5 - are very different and neither one resembles the CP300.

I can dig in more on the CP4 and everything feels "right" on a gig in a rhythm section.

At home with headphones (Senn HD650) playing by myself , I actually have more fun on the CP5.

I actually had the opposite reaction going from the Roland 700GX to an acoustic. My wrists and tendons in my fingers on acoustic were bothering me after a week on the Roland. It went back to W. LA Music shortly thereafter. I then got the CP300 and had no further problems.

the samples on that P200 just work in a way that no other piano seems to work for me.

yes indeed, no other sample does a better job than a p150, p200 in a band setting.

The frequencies are sitting just right in the mix.Yamaha please build it again and keep the flat top panel...

I sure wish they'd release an update of this line (call it the CP350) with the exact same classic P200/P250/CP300 form factor, tank-like construction, and built-in speakers, but with current-generation (CP4?) action and sounds. I love the CP300 as the perfect perch for any of the 73-key Nords, and they are very, very durable for touring / backline rental / institutional use, but as much time as I've put in on them in rock/R&B/country/etc., I still find both the action and the samples less than ideal for jazz, or anything else requiring much dynamic finesse and velocity (in the Czernian sense).

The Kawai VPC1 is great in the role of Nord-compact-perch-and-weighted-controller, both the action and the form factor, but I miss the speakers, expression pedal input, and of course the built-in sounds. I'm spoiled rotten with both at the moment, so the Kawai mostly stays in the studio where those disadvantages don't matter, but I still bring it out every once in a while.

Small add: less weight .. I own a P 250 and still love it but the schlepp factor plus the fact that there is a CP4 with more variety in piano samples justifies a CP 400 .. Yamaha, do you read .. pleeeeeease.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

I played an FA-08 last night. I need to dig further, but I think it might wind up eating Yamaha's CP300 lunch. The action is on par with the NW3, the internal speakers are very good, and the piano samples are the best I've heard from Roland. Also, it weighs somewhere around 35 lbs.

That would be good, 'cause we might get a CP350 then.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I played an FA-08 last night... the internal speakers are very good,

FA-08 doesn't have internal speakers...

??

Pre-caffienated posting! FP-80. The FA-08 is the one with the nifty sample maxtrix.

I'm surprised the FP-80 hasn't gotten more love on here. It seems like a really competent stage piano, and I am growing to appreciate internal speakers.

I'm surprised the FP-80 hasn't gotten more love on here. It seems like a really competent stage piano, and I am growing to appreciate internal speakers.

Nice board! If only it actually did weigh about 35 lbs, that would be pretty killer, alas it tops 52 lbs. (Same issue as its predecessors, FP7 and FP7F, which I liked as well). Although Roland SN isn't my favorite piano sound, it's still pretty good, and I like the action and speakers.

I haven't had a chance to try an FP-90, but one of its big improvements is its sound system. Roland specs the FP80 at "7 W x 2 + 6 W x 2" with 101 dB SPL, the FP90 is "25 W x 2 + 7 W x 2" with 107 dB SPL. That might be a real threat to the CP300's dominance there.

In yet another twist of irony (or stupidity, LOL) - it turns out I was playing the FP-90. Good thing I took a picture of it with my phone. Apparently I can't remember model numbers worth a crap anymore.

I checked the specs on SweetWater - 52 lbs as you said. I did NOT feel that heavy. But I only picked it up for a second.

I was really impressed with the internal speakers. Especially on the Rhodes with the ping pong vibrato!

I was impressed enough that I asked about the trade-in value on my beloved CP4. MAN. I think if had an FP-90, that I might not play the CP4 much. On piano-only gigs, I could avoid carrying an amp.

I wonder if I could use it to replace my CP4+VR09 in my rock band rig.

Wes

Good to buy from Sweetwater or a dealer that has a good return/exchange policy. They're have been more then a few complaints with regard to excessive key noise on the new PH-50 action. Both in the RD-2000 and Rhodie73 noticed the exact the problem on the floor of Sam Ash checking out the FP-90.

For me at age 64, 52 lbs (+ case) is 52 lbs ...no matter how you slice it. I'll stick with the CP4. It does what I need it to do, to put it very simply. :)

I could see getting the FP-90 for home because of the speakers. But on a short first play at noisy NAMM, I did prefer the RD-2000 to it.

I sure wish they'd release an update of this line (call it the CP350) with the exact same classic P200/P250/CP300 form factor, tank-like construction, and built-in speakers, but with current-generation (CP4?) action and sounds.

That certainly is the perfect scenario for us Yamaha fans. I think it would be very popular - mainly for home or studio - but you might also see some 30/40, very fit 50 somethings bringing it out for the occasional gig.

Again at age 64 and schlepping gear for 50 years, I'm staying put with the pair of 25 lb. TT08As and no keyboard over 40 lbs. mantra.

Best scenario- I just got the call I can play the acoustic piano at the Beverly Wilshire tonight instead of hunping my CP4 in. I usually do play the acoustic on this long running Awards gig but last year John Legend took up the whole stage with his CFIII and I had to bring the CP4. Now just who does he think he is anyway... :D

Gentlemen

There is a member here who has not posted in maybe a year or more. He is a jazz player, and had the honor of playing with Joe Henderson. Maybe Dave Ferris knows his name!

In any case, this fine player once mentioned here he would ( dare I say never! ) never play anything among DP's, except DP's that contain self contained speakers. He felt it to be vital

to gain whatever it might be that self contained speakers provide.

I do not recall which brand or model he favored.

What are the most favored models available today?

It is a tough topic because of weight, versus quality of speakers, versus action, versus sound of samples.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Could be SK/ Steve Kessler ? He used the Roland FP-4 for a very long time and was always an advocate for the internal speakers.

I'm not certain of what his choice is these days...maybe a Casio ?

Yes Dave is right. I'm not sure what's going on with Roland's new PHA-50 action in portable keyboards like the RD2000 or the FP90, but various keys after time have a clacking sound when hit laterally. You especially notice it playing fast lines in Classical music or Jazz improvisation. It's funny because I didn't notice this issue or even hear about it in Roland's home pianos, like the LX and HP series that utilize the PHA-50 action. I did like the FP90 too but after a couple of weeks the clacking started. I was willing to give the RD2000 a shot but every store that had them, the same clacking was gong on. I asked one of the sales representatives how long the keyboards were on the floor and they said they just put them out a day or two before I saw them. I never noticed this problem with the previous flagship action the PHA IV in the RD800. As matter of fact at a Guitar Center that I went to the, RD800 and RD2000 were right next to each other. The RD2000 had the clacking problem while the RD800 that was beat on too, did not have a problem at all....very solid! So I'm a bit apprehensive about a stage keyboard with this new PHA50 action in it.

But to get back on topic of the thread, I would love to see Yamaha update the CP300. I wonder if the price drop in the CP4 means it is being replaced soon or a new stage piano is coming out and it will be the flagship instead of the CP4. I don't think the CP1 is the flagship anymore because I feel Yamaha has quietly discontinued it. I too would love a stage piano with speakers without skimping on flagship sounds and features. Ehh who knows what Yamaha has up their sleeves because despite the QC issues on the RD2000 and FP90, Roland is packing a punch with those two stage pianos. I can't imagine Yamaha isn't working on something soon.

Rhodes MKII 73, Kawai MP10, Korg GrandStage 88

Best scenario- I just got the call I can play the acoustic piano at the Beverly Wilshire tonight instead of hunping my CP4 in. I usually do play the acoustic on this long running Awards gig but last year John Legend took up the whole stage with his CFIII and I had to bring the CP4. Now just who does he think he is anyway... :D

OT on the joke

I have no clue why Mr Legend is so popular. I am older than you, but have lately adopted ( adapted !) a new attitude about current music. Instead of being instantly dismissive of top 40 or whatever new pop music is sold as... I have done a 180

I am embracing Sting who is not current, but neither is he tin pan alley.

Bruno Mars knocks me out. I am just revisiting the last 40 years of music, including the present time.. of course there is annoying music as always has been. but Legend.. I do not get. I can't bare his music.

And Adele is not my cup of tea...

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

It is a tough topic because of weight, versus quality of speakers, versus action, versus sound of samples.

If you get a model with a Line Input, the sound of samples can be irrelevant, if you're willing to trigger an external sound (i.e. a high quality VST from a laptop). Then you only need to choose an action you like, in something where the speakers are loud "enough" for your purposes. If you want really beefy speakers, the CP300 and FP90 would seem to be the models of choice, as you can see from this thread, and maybe Kawai ES8. All have line inputs. (Korg seems to have beefy speakers in the Havian 30, but no line input.) A generation back, the Roland FP80 and Kawai ES7 could also be contenders. If you like the Fatar TP/40L another possibility could be the Kurzweil MPS20 which has a 30 watt speaker system, so it should also be above average there...

Not to pile on but I think it's good this stuff is out there...since we're the ones spending our hard earned cash right ?

Ben from Piano world just returned his second RD-2000 in 6 months due to action related problems. He's taking a leap of faith on the Nord piano 3 - which also has not been QC free as Rhodie 73 can certainly attest to. ;)

I send good vibes to anyone going through this current madness of QC action noise problems on seemingly every weighted board that's being released now.

Could be SK/ Steve Kessler ? He used the Roland FP-4 for a very long time and was always an advocate for the internal speakers.

I'm not certain of what his choice is these days...maybe a Casio ?

Yes Steve is his name... gracias yes yes SK.

What is your feeling when using a self contained speaker DP... compared to your cool super hi fi rig?

So maybe a Privia ?? Is there a best of.. among Privia?

Other nominees?

I just tried a yamaha DGX 660 with large self contained speakers

Thise speakers in your face are really seductive!

Edit I saw you ( Dave ) type "Casio" but my mind took that to mean Privia!

Are Casio and Privia two different platforms or the same?

Privia is a line from Casio. Speakers are not so high powered except for some models with additional speakers in the stand/legs.

OT on the joke

I have no clue why Mr Legend is so popular..... but Legend.. I do not get. I can't bare his music.

And Adele is not my cup of tea...

People's taste varies, and I am not John Legend's #1 fan. 'No Clue' is a strong phrase to use though. Surely you can tell that he has great control of his voice and is a consummate well rounded performer? He knows how to write a hit song which is an art unto itself, and while those hit songs are not 100% all knockouts, some of them have some great messages / lyrical writing.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Privia is a line from Casio. Speakers are not so high powered except for some models with additional speakers in the stand/legs.

So Privia obviously is one model but does Casio also have self contained models? Or Privia is IT for Casio?

What are considered the best among Casio Privia?

Archived