Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS decision problem - need outside opinions

Chewbubba

So, I've been playing for ... *does math* 29-ish years.

After my first couple of years I saw Victor Wooten and I dreamed of having a Fodera. Yes, I know having a Fodera won't make me play like Wooten (pretty sure he's not even human). But that flame maple top with the gold hardware was just gorgeous.

Anyhoo, I'm in a place where I might be able to get one. But I'm torn, because I know they are just silly-overpriced, and I would also love to have a nice Fender Jazz.

For that matter, I need new gear. My amp is a solid state Peavey from 1990, and is pretty much shot. I have an ART effects rack... also pretty much shot.

I can't afford it all.

Shout out your own opinions - whatever they may be. Hopefully they may help me clarify what I really want.

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In your situation....Amp, definitely Amp.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Agree...amp first. I'm a big fan of using PA gear for bass. Boutique amps and speakers boast about how they have such a flat frequency response just like...like...good PA gear, but cheaper than boutique bass gear. Pre-amp of your choice to put the appropriate dirt back in.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I started leaving my amp at home a long time ago. I use the SansAmp programmable bass driver DI and run through a powered wedge (QSC K10).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Since I'm a practical and budget conscious family man, +1 on the SansAmp DI if you play through a PA already.

You want a Jazz, you want a Gold Fodera with matching hardware, why not buy or build a J-Bass with gold hardware, it's gotta be less expensive.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Generally speaking, a good amp will make an average bass sound better. A crappy amp will make a good bass sound bad.

Buy the amp -- lots of great choices, make sure you get PLENTY of power, great stuff on the used market. Then start saving for the Fodera.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

As someone who spent years using a debatable-quality amp and a very nice MIA Fender Jazz, I can say that having invested in a great cab (Barefaced) and a very nice amp (Orange Bass Terror 500) I am very happy I finally took the plunge and invested in the amp-side of things.

Yes, it is less fun. I use neither the head nor the cab frequently, since I practice through headphones. Would love a Warwick (a real one) or a Mayones fretless. But I am so incredibly happy to have put the money towards the amp and cab - it really DOES make a world of difference.

Shame no one will ever get to hear it, cos I always pick bands that go nowhere fast :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Update:

Yesterday I picked up a sansAmp NYC stompbox, since the majority of what I do is at church, just plugged into the system.

However, I do have a big show in early November (we've already started rehearsals :-/) and I think you guys are right - I need an amp.

I've been "Freddy Freeloader" when it comes to gear... yeah, I'm that guy...

Anyway, does GK still make quality amps?

Oooh, on a somewhat separate-but-related topic, what can I do with the old combo amp. It works, but just not well.

The old ART Nightbass effects unit (and foot controller)... it also works, but not well... I don't know what to do with those things either.

Update:

Oooh, on a somewhat separate-but-related topic, what can I do with the old combo amp. It works, but just not well.

The old ART Nightbass effects unit (and foot controller)... it also works, but not well... I don't know what to do with those things either.

Put them on The eBay or The Craigslist.

• 2 weeks later...
Update:

The old ART Nightbass effects unit (and foot controller)...

Wow! That was a totally over-the-top piece of gear when it came out. Sure you don't want to just clean it up and keep it around?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 1 month later...
Did you actually have an opportunity to get your hands on the Fodera?

No. The GAS has passed. Lol. I really like the bass I have, I decided I'm not going to drop that amount of dough on a bass. Especially since I'm not getting any younger (pushing 50 already).

Wow! That was a totally over-the-top piece of gear when it came out. Sure you don't want to just clean it up and keep it around?

The low-Z jacks are all loose and buzz and I can't get it all the way apart to try to resolder them. The are attached directly to one of the circuit boards.

On a side note, I might be getting an amp and cabinet Wednesday. Any amps/cab I should AVOID?

Too late. I found a Markbass 800w class D amp and a Markbass 4 x 10 cabinet in my trunk. ;-) Sounded killer at the store. Can't wait for my neighbor's complaints.

One question - would it be smart or dumb to stick casters on the cabinet? Or should I just buy a dolly (heavy stuff + my back = a couple weeks of suffering). [Edit: Nevermind - that cab is SOOOOO light... not an issue)

http://www.taylorbrosdecorativeconcrete.com/Markbass.jpg

Get casters or a dolly anyway -- you'll be surprised how heavy a light cab will get if you have to schlep it too far.

Nice rig -- I've really liked all the Markbass stuff I've played and heard.

Yeah, this weekend was the first time hauling that thing around. While I could carry it one-handed, over a long distance I was wishing for wheels or a dolly.

I think dolly might be the way to go - I have to hop a curb every weekend.

And yes, that thing is flipping loud! Love it!

What do you guys do about rain?

Okay. I found "ears" to mount the head in my rack (there will be plenty of room after I pull that ART Nightbass unit out of there), as well as a cover for the cabinet.

Thanks for all of your help and opinions folks!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh GAS, how I know thee. I've gotten a lot better. I have my Roscoe 5 and a G&L JB-2 my wife got for a ridiculous deal as an alternate/back up bass. Everything else is gone. I feel pretty good.

I'm going to update my amp from a Genz Benz Shuttle that I've had for a long time to a new Genzler MG800/BA12-3 cab. I usually have FOH and IEM's so the Genzler should suffice for hime practice and occasional jazz quartet gigs.

Took me a while to get to this "happy place" but it's nice to just grab my bass and go. I think after I update my amp I'll feel the same. It's a nice place to be. I hope I'm old, wise and disciplined enough to stay here a while and realize what great gear I have and that it does all I need to do.

• 4 weeks later...
Thats a nice rig - health to play. I put casters on everything not wee ones - big heavy duty jobs therefore no bother on most surfaces. To get the coupling effect yo may want to put the cab on its side for playing. I prefer the sound of it floating on the casters though to my ears there is less boom and more clarity, thats a personal choice though!!

Archived