Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazing jazz piano talent at age 7

Jazz+

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing chops. And it's not just one piece she's playing by rote- I looked at several other of Sophia's vids, and she has a decent repertoire as well.

Now if she'd just be taught to stop vocalizing while she's playing...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

That blues in G she is playing has been written for her to perform.. Of course her left hand syncopating skills are very good, but it is all memorized and there is no improvisation going on. I saw several different video performances and they were all identical. I saw another video where she was called upon to improvise and it was awkward.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

We all start somewhere, so she can imitate - the freedom to compose, then improvise (compose in the moment) will come later. She's clearly off to a great start - how many students do you have to work with endlessly to keep time, get the feel, remember the sequence, etc. That's already happening here - at 7 no less which for most kids is a good age to start from scratch.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived