Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

something to ponder, perhaps, abt this forum

d  halfnote

I've seen PLENTY of threads where members posted photos of what they own, or made. You must have somehow missed 'em. PINKJIMI did a few, and they were great!

SURE they're permitted. :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean individuals- I've done that myself. I mean like a thread in which EVERYBODY and ANYBODY is welcome to post pix of whatever gear they want to share,

I'll make one, and let's see how it goes...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Well, I won't be joining THAT one.

But it's because I have no photos to post, and don't know HOW to post 'em anyway. ;)

But I enjoy lookin' at 'em anyway, so I'll probably be looking in. :)

Whitefang

Hi all...

We get feedback from women players exclusively on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. That's where they are, and that's where they post.

That said, if y'all wanted to start a forum topic that would be of interest to entice more female participation here, let me know, and I'll promote it through the usual GP online channels.

I'd love to see more women collaborating here, as well.

All the Best,

Mike

While I was stunned to read an actual visit from a GP pro, I couldn't help note the phrase "usual GP channels" & wonder how we got on the radar.

-------------------------------

...the forum "rules" don't say anything about requiring a "level of skill" in order to join

Good thing for some. :cop:

-----------------------------------

Gotta say that this next is the single most observant thing contributed.

I don't think it has anything to do with gender or generation. There are only about 12 people who post regularly and maybe another 12 that post occasionally. The new people stay for about 2 or 3 posts and they disappear. I've been here about 15 months and I think I maybe the newest. Now the part that maybe hard to hear, it's the content. It's kind of like a hot dog or hamburger with nothing on it. Birthdays and death notices are fine but they can't be everything. You need content that can start a debate and get peoples interest.

& then look at what happened.

Who's NEVER get it ?!

:blah:

:hitt:

d=halfnote

Maybe some WHO'S never get IT should learn some politesse

:cop:

"Who's never get it?" is a "dumbass phrase" taken directly from Professor Fred McDowell as a double entendre abt the ubiquity of the blues & an admonishment of those who simply don't understand.

d=halfnote

So, I'll politely ask AGAIN that you VALIDATE that with a link to your SOURCE.

As any "google" I do on any so-called "professor" Fred McDowell only brings up a couple of guys who aren't connected to the blues or ANYY type of music. One's a GEOPHYSICIST, and another a University of Iowa LITERATURE professor.

I'd be interested in reading the ENTIRE "dissertation" this phantom supposedly was supposed to have written. The ONLY Fred McDowell I know of is an old bluesman who went by the name "MISSISSIPPI" Fred McDowell.

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...

For any "WHO's never GET it" in the neighborhood.

"Professor" was a title regularly bestowed on master blues & boogie players, esp those that taught others.

The phrase in question comes at the end of the clip.

[video:youtube]

I think at this point we can surmise that "dumb-ass" doesn't apply to the phrase that is in question.

d=halfnote

See? That's all you had to do in the first place and all the "durm and strang" would have been negated.

The phrase isn't "dumb-ass" in the way HE used it. He wasn't weilding it as a weapon, but just in explanation of his particular style. But also, as far as I've usually witnessed...

"Professor", as far as old blues players go, was usually a "title" sardonically given to any guy who had even the SLIGHTEST bit of formal instruction and let it go to their heads.

Notice too, how he used the term "bottleneck" instead of "slide"?

Heh. I recall even seeing some old bluesman at the Grande ballroom actually USE an old bottleneck when playing. ;) Still had the "Schlitz" label on it. :D

Whitefang

"Professor", as far as old blues players go, was usually a "title" sardonically given to any guy who had even the SLIGHTEST bit of formal instruction and let it go to their heads.

That would be like Roy Byrd / Professor Longhair, I guess; or the many local tutors thatr advertised in the old Chicago Defender, etc.

:facepalm:

Who's NEVER get IT, still lives.

d=halfnote

I guess that I'm also going by what a guy my Dad used to work with everyone in his department called "Drums" because he used to play drums in a local jazz combo on weekends. I met him once( I worked at the same plant and went over to see my Dad one day) and he kept referring to one guy in his band as "Professor". When I asked him why he called him that, HE said, "Well, he's the only guy in the band that took any LESSONS, and he don't ever let us FORGET it." :D

Whitefang

There are plenty of women who play guitar, and some very well INDEED. They just don't seem to gravitate as much to hotshot electric lead playing, which seems to be a testosterone driven endeavor. A macho battleground, as it were, in many people's minds.

That, Eric for providing a little steering help.

Just another example of WHO'S never get IT sniping irrelevantly b/c he's really got nothing to say.

d=halfnote

This actually applies to all the instrument forums here but is more disconcerting abt this one.

Where are the women ?

There once were many posting here but I've not seen a post from one for at least 5 yrs, likely longer.

There are prolly more women guitarists working professionally than ever; seems like that would lead to an increase rather than decrease.

I read this and said yea why are there not more women posting here, I asked my wife who does not play guitar, nor any instrument. She said that she would rather be doing her hobbies than talking about them. Simple answer maybe the best.

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

There are plenty of women who play guitar, and some very well INDEED. They just don't seem to gravitate as much to hotshot electric lead playing, which seems to be a testosterone driven endeavor. A macho battleground, as it were, in many people's minds.

With respect, Eric, most of the women I'm thinking of play truly ripping lead, and love their gear no less than we do. Facebook has a number of groups devoted to, or comprised of, women Rock Guitarists. I see their posts, and hear their music in other social media, but not in Forums like this one.

Speaking as Devil's advocate here for a moment: Despite the overtly Freudian aspect of grasping and stroking the neck on an Electric Guitar, could it be that participating in Forums and Chat groups is the real testosterone-driven activity? When I see how some threads devolve (and I don't just mean wandering off-topic, either) I have to wonder, are women avoiding these groups because of how men behave? I've had the experience of starting a thread about some piece of gear, and seeing it turn into a virtual shouting match, between two members of this Forum. Maybe the women have more sense than to wander into what must looking like pissing contest, at times.

[video:youtube]

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

There are more guys into guitar than there are women and that's just the way it is IMHO. However, I think we need to encourage women who do come on this forum to stay and we need to get away from the pissing matches that we get involved in (to include that kind of language). I for one, want to see more ladies come on board but the numbers will always be limited. I think facebook and other such sites will draw both male and females away from forums like ours. I still welcome and appreciate everyone out there and those that come on board regardless of gender... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I agree with most of that for a variety of reasons. It does seem that girls are more interested in guitar PLAYERS( except in MY case :( ) instead of PLAYING one. And I'm going to use a particular word again, but I would think women are a good fit for playing based on one thing: At the plant I worked in, women often got the jobs that called for someone who had the better DEXTERITY in their fingers, and the women WERE better at those jobs than the guys. Especially at the PRECISION aspect of them. :)

As for the "language"...DON'T make the foolhardy mistake of shortchanging them in THAT aspect! ;)

Whitefang

However, I think we need to encourage women who do come on this forum to stay and we need to get away from the pissing matches that we get involved in (to include that kind of language).

@Larryz - I apologize for bringing that particular term into the discussion. I gave some serious thought, before posting it, as it is a gross and offensive expression; nonetheless, it fits the circumstances. I'm sick of seeing threads turn into testy, or open hostile exchanges between Forum members, when those exchanges contribute nothing of substance to the discussion. PM forthcoming . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

@ Winston, I'm sorry as "pissing" is not that bad of a word (as in pissing contest)...I was just trying to clean up my own language, not yours. I hadn't even really noticed it in your post. +1,000 the hostile exchanges should be avoided as they are not necessary and do not attract new members IMHO...looking forward to your PM! :cool:

@ Fang, I worked with a lot of women and know what you mean with regard to language. When you have established friendships they use some of the same language I do LOL! +1 when I worked at a winery for 6 years or so, the women on the bottling line could keep up with the conveyors much better than the men could. It always reminds me of the Lucy episode in the candy factory when they kept speeding up the line on Lucy and Ethel LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

This started as a really good post, but went in the garbage in a hurry.

@JuJu Kwan - I apologize if I offended you with my post; it was certainly not my intent. One point I was trying to make is that bad behavior (arguing, infighting and insulting one another) discourages many thoughtful people, and thus many women, from joining these groups. I was also trying to make the point that many women play Lead Guitar, even though we may not hear from them in this Forum.

To be honest, I'm tired enough of the arguing to take a break from here for a while. If can help you with any questions related to the Guitar, you can reach me via email. Once again, I apologize if I have offended you.

This started as a really good post, but went in the garbage in a hurry.

@JuJu Kwan - I apologize if I offended you with my post; it was certainly not my intent. One point I was trying to make is that bad behavior (arguing, infighting and insulting one another) discourages many thoughtful people, and thus many women, from joining these groups. I was also trying to make the point that many women play Lead Guitar, even though we may not hear from them in this Forum.

To be honest, I'm tired enough of the arguing to take a break from here for a while. If can help you with any questions related to the Guitar, you can reach me via email. Once again, I apologize if I have offended you.

Same here JuJu! Put me down as a +1 with Winston. If anything I said offended you in any way, I apologize too! Feel free to PM me at any time...

Take care, Larryz

Archived