Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the most recent song you learned, and why?

EddiePlaysBass

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The band I'm working with now is an 'Originals' band and always coming up with new stuff & ideas. Telling you titles would be meaningless, but it's quite stimulating.

(Youtube 'Something Out of Nothing at the Clutha')

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Gonna Have To Face It, You're Addicted To Love" because I keep trying to explain to my wife that it should be her favorite song.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

"Walk In My Shadows" by Joe Bonamassa & Paul Rodgers; "Fooled Around & Fell In Love" by the Winery Dogs/Elvin Bishop; and "Walkin' the Dawg" by Tony Spinner. All for an audition that never happened, as the band decided to fold rather than replace the bass player. Another member was having some health issues, which played into it. But I can't help but feel like "Geez, they'd rather not play than have me in the band. Must have heard I know Lug."

That said, I've made contact with another group that needs a bassist, that is doing original music. We'll see what happens with that.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I learned a whole bunch of religious songs which I played on Easter with a praise band at the Blossom Valley Bible Church in San Jose. I was a substitute for the regular guy.

It was my first gig with headphones, no amps, and each person with his or her own mixer so we could hear whatever we wanted. I have no idea what it sounded like to the congregation, but what I heard sounded good.

"Been Hurt" by Uriah Heep. Originally recorded with John Lawton, later rerecorded with John Sloman on vocals and released as a B-side. It's always been a favourite of mine and I absolutely love Trevor Bolder's funky bass line. I nailed it, too! With the exception of two notes, which I have not figured out yet.

This is purely for my own enjoyment and personal development as a bass player. Chances of ever playing this song in a band are practically nil, but I had fun figuring it out, and seeing how Bolder plays over certain chords.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

"Walk In My Shadows" by Joe Bonamassa & Paul Rodgers; "Fooled Around & Fell In Love" by the Winery Dogs/Elvin Bishop; and "Walkin' the Dawg" by Tony Spinner. All for an audition that never happened, as the band decided to fold rather than replace the bass player. Another member was having some health issues, which played into it. But I can't help but feel like "Geez, they'd rather not play than have me in the band. Must have heard I know Lug."

https://app.box.com/shared/static/aemq3d9ldv.wav

I didn't want to part with some old cassettes, which, because of the format, put them on the back shelf. So, last time I came across them I copied them to my computer. One side was an old jam a long recording from about 96 that I recorded while I had the flu and pretty nice fever. Hearing the coughs brought all that memory back. Toward the end was a completely improvised song that amazed me. I wish the part of the memory where I played that would have come back so easily. I'm still trying to nail it, all I need is a 103 fever and it's mine.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

• 2 months later...

Ooh! Nice obscure older Who tune.

Last three songs I learned:

Stone Temple Pilots: Plush

Porcupine Tree: shesmovedon

Gov't Mule/Allman Bros: Soulshine

Yes, all for the same band. Now if only we could get a good singer, we could start playing them live.

NEW band Old band

A list of 14, mostly originals, for a sub gig I'm doing this weekend with the band Cross Purpose. This set is kicking my butt -- they're a roots-rock-style band, but they play like jazz guys, with extra bars and odd chord changes all over the place:

1) Hallelujah

2) A Lot Of Gray Out There

3) Even Jesus Gots The Blues

4) People Get Ready

5) Can't Get There From Here

6) Waiting For The Dawn

7) Mission Temple Fireworks Stand

8) Pride

9) He Already Told Me So

10) I Think About It All The Time

11) Wade In The Water / Take Me To The River E

12) The Man My Dog Thinks I Am

13) The Man You've Made

14) Ashes And Dust

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

j,

Is Ashes & Dust the Warren Haynes song? If so, nice!

Spent some more time learning a few tunes for the new band. Found out that Elvis' "Little Sister" has an extra C-chord in the chorus :eek: Also spent some more time with The Who, cos I wasn't 100% correct last time.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Haven't been playing bass for a while, just keys and guitar. Last one was a few weeks ago "Last Chance" by Shooting star for a fill-in gig on keys. Pretty complex arrangement to get all the parts in there since there's piano, organ, multiple synths, and violin all going on at once.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

4'33"

"Last Chance" - great song! Glad to hear that some band some where is playing it.

I think it goes over here in St. Louis partially because Shooting Star was formed out of KC and played in the area quite a bit. Also, local radio station KSHE 95 has continued to play Last Chance in fairly regular rotation.

Interesting side note, their ex-bass player (not the original one, but the one who played with them in early 90s) lives here in St. Louis and has subbed on bass in the same band that I subbed with playing Last Chance.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 1 year later...
"Hooked on a Feeling" because it's got hip changes and I can get the crowd to chant that "ooga chacka ooga chaka" part for the bridge. (BJ THomas wrote it, Blue Swede did the ooga-chaka part.)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Use Me - Bill Withers. Band wants to cover it.

I may be doing more bass. I'm spending more time with my original band (keyboards) but backed away from the cover band I had been filling in with on keys/guitar. At the same time, another band that I used to be in playing AEB is asking me to play some dates. Last time I filled it, it was all the same songs I played with them before, but who knows, maybe they've learned some new songs that I can learn.

Outside of that, closest thing on bass I've learned for my own enjoyment was the theme song from Barney Miller just because I've always liked it! On keys I learned Zebra "Tell me what you want" and Jefferson Starship "Jane" because they added it to the list and I had some gigs (the fill in cover gig I'm not doing anymore).

Dan

On keys I learned Zebra "Tell me what you want" and Jefferson Starship "Jane" because they added it to the list and I had some gigs (the fill in cover gig I'm not doing anymore).

I used to play those two ( on guitar, and somewhat on bass). Cool tunes, even if a bit dated.

Last songs I've learned are:

Dream Theater: The Big Medley (In the Flesh/Carry On Wayward Son/Bohemian Rhapsody/Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'/Cruise Control/Turn It On Again) - for a side band; basically, the drummer threw it out there, and we're the first group he's played with & suggested it to that didn't say "no way". A lot of work for a one-shot performance, but what the heck.

Jeff Healey Band's version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for that same band.

Joe Bonamassa's take on "Born Under a Bad Sign",

Tab Benoit's "Next To Me",

"Nick Flora's "Hard Man to Love",

and a couple of originals for my main band, to fill out the set list so we can do a full 3 - 4 hour show.

NEW band Old band

• 3 weeks later...

Archived