Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do You Like the Nord Piano 3

b3plyr

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished reviewing it for KeyM ( :D ) magazine. I liked it a whole lot better than I have any previous Nord piano. Connection between the keybed and engine is superb, interface is outstanding. My biggest let down was the lack of polyphony in the sample synth, which resulted in some abrupt voice stealing on layered pad sounds.

I liked that they were able to keep the weight reasonable, too - way easy to move that puppy.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I just finished reviewing it for KeyM ( :D ) magazine. I liked it a whole lot better than I have any previous Nord piano. Connection between the keybed and engine is superb, interface is outstanding.

+1

Really enjoyed it at NAMM, through headphones. I mostly played the "Royal Grand 3D" piano, which sounded fantastic. Probably my favorite digital piano of NAMM. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Thanks all. One question I forgot to ask - how does it sound in mono, meaning you select MONO with the mono button?

I believe the mono reproduction really depends on the piano sound used. While all of the Nord Piano Library samples sound fantastic in stereo, phasing can be an issue when summed to mono. Some sounds degrade more gracefully than others. I rather like the 'Black Upright', and find it still holds up pretty well in mono. The recently released Royal Grand 3D also works well.

One alternative to 'summing' stereo sounds to mono (e.g. by connecting just the L/MONO jack) is to try connecting just the R jack. Theoretically, there will be less degradation, as you're only hearing a single mono channel than the summed stereo, however you may find that the lower notes loose some punch, as most stereo piano sounds are sampled/mixed to reproduce the bass region louder in the left channel and treble region louder in the right.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

In this article from Keyboard Mag

http://www.keyboardmag.com/how-to/1255/solving-stereo-stage-piano-problems/28996

Kevin Anker suggests what James is sharing above. If you're not hot on that idea, or don't like the way it sounds, you can also compensate for phase issues by boosting frequencies that are getting cheated by the phase problem. Obviously the best answer would be if more manufacturers acknowledged the mono conundrum live players face and offered their alternate mono sample libraries. Apparently on some of the Nord line (Nord Piano for example, Electro 3 and up, Stage EX and up)...

"Clavia created algorithms that correct the phase issues that mono summing created in their existing (and future) stereo piano samples. access this feature via pressing the Shift button and a button marked (conveniently enough) Mono. The result is simple, elegant, and great sounding."

http://www.keyboardmag.com/Portals/2/044_key1012_Know_Live-2.jpg

So, another technique that would be nice to see in more keyboards.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived