Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Emerson RIP

Heartbeat

On the anniversary of Keith Emerson's death, I would like to take a moment to honour one of the most brilliant musicians and keyboard players I ever witnessed, and probably a major influence directly or indirectly of many on this forum. Cheers to you Keith Emerson.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be quite frank, I think he influenced a lot of guitarists too, as they had to step up their game to prove they were still relevant. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think that the music world still hasn't fully realized the degree of harmonic, rhythmic and structural sophistication that Emerson brought to rock music. Most people prefer to consider the stage theatrics, the excesses of grandeur, and the undeniable lack of direction of the latest ELP period. But compositions like Tarkus, Trilogy, and Karn Evil 9 will be around for a long time. And he was able to combine that with the brightest instrumental virtuosism on both piano and keyboards. Also, thinking that he was basically self-taught, except for a few years of piano lessons, makes it even more impressive.

Listening to "Pictures" when I was 11 or 12, and seeing ELP live the following year, was an important step in my decision to become a musician, and to embrace electronic keyboards. (the jazz bug bit a couple of years later, but I had already made my choices by then)

RIP Keith Emerson, and thank you.

Although derivative in nature, his Piano Concerto was very well-received and HAS been performed by others.

I no longer fault him for the derivations in that piece, as it does have a cohesive character all its own, and as plenty of famous composers were far more blatant in their derivations.

This past week, the San Francisco Ballet performed the rarely-done "Prodigal Son" by Sergei Prokofiev, which was written specifically for stage.

I was quite surprised when I began recognizing pseudo-familiar motifs from Emerson's Piano Concerto.

It's amazing how much music he had already been exposed to at such a young age, and the way he absorbed it into his vocabulary the way a jazz musician throws things out during a solo.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Very little set me on fire as a budding keyboardist like seeing Keith play his "Piano Improvisations" as part of the "Brain Salad Surgery" concert. I was still new to being synth-dazzled then, but that piano bit still puts a big smile on m'heart. Ginestera, "Little Rock Getaway" and a big swig of smoky scotch, all in a fine bundle. There have been a few who were comparably capable, but none *better.* :keys:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

So, how many crank(ed) the volume on Lucky Man when Keith was noodling towards the end? I am 100% guilty from the very first time I heard it (and was much more into room shaking bass then) right up until now.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

So, how many crank(ed) the volume on Lucky Man when Keith was noodling towards the end? I am 100% guilty from the very first time I heard it

Guilty as well. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Hearing Brain Salad Surgery back in '73 was what got me back into keyboards after quitting piano lessons at age 8 (and Wakeman...). I started up again at 14-15 and really regretted all the time I had missed and wasted.

Thanks to my being able to sneak into NAMM, I got to meet many of my musical heroes; but I somehow always managed to miss Emo and thought, "I'll catch him next year." Another deep regret...

I think that the music world still hasn't fully realized the degree of harmonic, rhythmic and structural sophistication that Emerson brought to rock music.

+1

Also, thinking that he was basically self-taught, except for a few years of piano lessons, makes it even more impressive.

I thought it was more than a few years, to include studying music at University.

Thoroughly appreciate the OP's sentiment, but kind of wish this thread had a different/more descriptive title to reflect the one-year mark of Keith's passing.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

From the time I heard "Five Bridges" (Nice), I knew Keith Emerson was operating at a level no one else was.

I'd seen no video, there was no "buzz" about stagecraft...just dazzling Hammond and piano along with the orchestra.

I quickly picked up the record with live "Rondo" and "She Belongs to Me" and I was even more "sold" on Emerson.

Along came the first ELP album in early '71, a live show that spring and-I DID get a dose of his stagecraft, and an introduction to the Moog.

Bottom line, my keyboard world is still about Keith Emerson and everyone else.

A very sad anniversary indeed. I was especially vocal about Emerson hanging on and playing even though he was crippled by the nerve damage he suffered. I will always regret those asinine and insensitive comments.

I never met Keith... and judging from the personal experiences from Dave and my colleagues here on this forum, this was truly my loss.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I had a gig on Saturday and wore my "Brain Salad Surgery" (Giger cover) t-shirt. Amazing musician. I was lucky to go to the memorial concert at the El Ray last year. My wife is not a big prog fan and she says it is the best concert she ever went to (hard for me to disagree... other than seeing the master himself on the Black Moon tour in the mid 90s). He is sorely missed and left a big mark on the music world.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Archived