Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mooer & Joyo pedals: Anyone use them?

Winston Psmith

Very often, I'll see references to Mooer and Joyo pedals, but I never see either of these brands at my FLMS? The local Used Gear place has one show up every so often, but I've never tried either. It seems that they sell for extremely low prices, and I've seen a couple of very small Mooer pedals that looked interesting, including one that seems to have photocell on top?!?!?

At any rate, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who uses them, or has used them, in case there's something I should check out. Thanks, all . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not but Parker at the Tele forum has and he raised what I thought was a sensible issue with the mooer pedals when I was asking about Clean boost options. But if you are using some sort of looper/ pedal switcher then the point is moot.

In terms of flexibility, durability and reliability in use, the Boss would be the one to get.

Aside from that, the BBE does the best job of sounding the same but louder, in my experience. The BBE also does a secret sauce thing that sounds brilliant with a strat, in my experience. When set up right, the EQ should be capable of doing this just as well or better..

The switches on the Boss are so good for this kind of thing - just touch it. Less likely to accidentally not engage the boost or accidentally fail to turn it off. (Sometimes I don't click the little switches all the way..)

Mooer pedals are cute but in my experience they are a little wobbly on a pedalboard held down by velcro or even dual lock. Not much surface area on the bottom and the pedals are very light weight.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks, CEB. Less concerned about size & weight than function. There were a couple of the little Mooers that looked interesting, especially at the price.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Sorry Winston, I have never used either of these pedals. I would read the reviews on the mail order sites like GC, MF, SW, etc., and check them out to see if there are demos on YouTube... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1 JuJu, but I do sell my used pedals for half of what I paid for them. So you could pick up an $80 pedal from me for $40 bucks. Sometimes the older pedals sell for as much or more than the new ones if they have a special vintage sound that players crave. Some cool cheap pedals that can really do the job are made by Danelectro... :cool:

ps. Pedals like the Big Muff, The Rat, Moog, etc. are always good sellers. Some of my old pedals that I sold or am selling Dunlop Wah, Boss Distortion, Boss Chorus, Tech 21 Blonde, MXR Comp, Octave pedal-forget the company, Electro Harmonix Boost, Boss Multi, Zoom Acoustic, Boss Reverb, MXR Dyna Comp, DOD Phase Shifter, Danelectro Stereo Chorus, Morley Volume Flange, Earnie Ball Volume, Boss Blues Driver, Tube Screamer, etc. The Bone Pile list of prices goes on and on to include power supplies, patch chords, Velcro, tuners, pedal board case yada yada yada...

Take care, Larryz

I shouldn't have labeled all cheap pedals bad, there are probably good cheap pedals and bad expensive pedals. In the end the only way to tell is to try them blindfolded, so as not to be influenced by the cost.

+1 on the blindfold test JuJu, My brother was telling me he went to a blues rock concert and during the break, the lead player used my brother's phone camera and took a picture of his pedal board for him with all his settings. That's a cool way to find a pedal sound you might be looking for if you hear something at the club! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

While I don't have any direct experience with them, I've shied away from them. Mooer, Joyo, Xvive, Hotone and some others all seem to be of a similar design, that makes me wonder if they aren't all just cheap cookie-cutter pedals re-labeled based on the company. Heck, even some newer Fender pedals are the same as these. With all the heat we used to give Behringer for making cheap, blatant knock-offs of Boss and others, I figured the same reputation would sitck with these li'l guys.

But hey - if they get the job done for ya, more power to ya.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

@Juju Kwan - Mostly, I'm curious, as I've never used any of these pedals, and I do see them on people's pedalboards. For me, it's about whether the product in question will give me a sound I can use. To bastardize an old expression, "Cheapness is in the ear of the listener." If I can get a useful sound out of something, I don't care what it says on the label. Same thing, in reverse; if it doesn't work for me, I don't care how expensive it is, or impressive it may be to someone else.

@Danzilla - Add Modtone to that list. I've avoided the Mooer/Joyo pedals, too, because I can't afford to throw away $40 on some junker, and I don't know anyone who uses them, so I have no point of comparison, other than price.

@Larryz - +1 on the de-valuation of used pedals, or used gear in general. I'm always very happy to find recent, clean used gear for much less than I would have paid for the same item new. An old buddy took the attitude that when you sell a piece of gear, that depreciation is like having rented whatever it was, for the period of time you had it. If you got good use out of it in that time, no loss; if not, better to be rid of it, and get something you will use, instead.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm confused about why someone would pay thousands of dollars on guitars and amplifiers and then buy $40 pedals.

Some of the best pedals are relatively ( or were less expensive ) expensive. I stay away from expensive boutique stuff.... those are guys that rip stuff off, often poorly built and overpriced. ( I don't consider guys like Wampler to be boutique. Brian stuff is produced in production runs though his roots were a boutique pedal moddder. When I think Boutique I think of some guy that builds a pedal by hand when someone asks for one.

I need to like the sound then after that I want dependability. I've never had a Boss or MXR pedal fail on me. Pedal are the things I take into the repair shop more than anything else. I don't necessarily drink all that true by pass Kool Aid either. True bypass has created a market for buffer and line drivers LOL.

Some of my ideas on pedals are not what is currently popular.

Some of the local guys like the sound of the Mooers. I had my board in the shop and they were excited to see my MI Effects Super Crunch Box because the played the Mooer Cruncher and wanted to hear the pedal that inspired the Cruncher. They say the Mooers sound pretty good. The mini stuff means PCB mounted switching which is a big red flag for me.

The mini stuff means PCB mounted switching which is a big red flag for me.

That's more the kind of thing I wanted to know about. Major fail waiting to happen, like the T.C. Toneprint pedals.

FWIW, while I've never had a Boss pedal fail on me, I have had one of the RI MXR Stereo Chorus pedals (the big yellow one) go bad, making a horrible noise when I turned on the pedal, not in any way useful, nor interesting. Seems to be a known, if not common issue.

The mini stuff means PCB mounted switching which is a big red flag for me.

That's more the kind of thing I wanted to know about. Major fail waiting to happen, like the T.C. Toneprint pedals.

FWIW, while I've never had a Boss pedal fail on me, I have had one of the RI MXR Stereo Chorus pedals (the big yellow one) go bad, making a horrible noise when I turned on the pedal, not in any way useful, nor interesting. Seems to be a known, if not common issue.

I have not seen one taken apart but I don't how else they could make a pedal work at that size. But a lot of guys use mini's. The one exception I would make is if I needed a spring reverb pedal I wouldn't hesitate to use a Malekko Chicklet reverb because it would be a once on stays on kind of thing. Wouldn't mind one for my VHT whose reverb is rancid.

+1 Winston on getting rid of pedals if you're not using them and buying one you will use. Funny how my chorus pedal was so important at first and later found it's way to the chopping block...I have only had one pedal break down on me and that was an Ibanez Tube Screamer...ran out and bought another one...and later sold it LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have not but Parker at the Tele forum has and he raised what I thought was a sensible issue with the mooer pedals when I was asking about Clean boost options. But if you are using some sort of looper/ pedal switcher then the point is moot.

In terms of flexibility, durability and reliability in use, the Boss would be the one to get.

Aside from that, the BBE does the best job of sounding the same but louder, in my experience. The BBE also does a secret sauce thing that sounds brilliant with a strat, in my experience. When set up right, the EQ should be capable of doing this just as well or better..

The switches on the Boss are so good for this kind of thing - just touch it. Less likely to accidentally not engage the boost or accidentally fail to turn it off. (Sometimes I don't click the little switches all the way..)

Mooer pedals are cute but in my experience they are a little wobbly on a pedalboard held down by velcro or even dual lock. Not much surface area on the bottom and the pedals are very light weight.

Excellent insight, there.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Funny how my chorus pedal was so important at first and later found it's way to the chopping block...

Man, I generally can't stand chorus... ! :mad::crazy::D

I have only had one pedal break down on me and that was an Ibanez Tube Screamer...ran out and bought another one...and later sold it LOL! :cool:

:laugh: Hahhaahh! Check these out...

____ Beat Tube Screamer Contest :D

____

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Man I hate Chorus but I can't keep it off my board. Right now it is on there for some big chord stuff like the last chord of Hey Jealousy.

I really need to just quit being so anal and just play my tone instead of always trying to sound like the original tune. Hell I play Hey Jealousy closer to the recording than the Gin Blossoms did live. :D

PS Well I do like Chorus if jamming on some old Rush. Stuff like La Villa Strangiato

Man I hate Chorus but I can't keep it off my board. Right now it is on there for some big chord stuff like the last chord of Hey Jealousy.

:cool: I really need to just quit being so anal and just play my tone instead of always trying to sound like the original tune. Hell I play Hey Jealousy closer to the recording than the Gin Blossoms did live. :D

PS Well I do like Chorus if jamming on some old Rush. Stuff like La Villa Strangiato

I've been really diggin' the sound and feel of the simulated tape-machine "Wow & Flutter" given up by my Strymon El Capistan; it's a nice alternative to the more typically standard, ubiquitous chorus-modulation...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have an old EHX Memory Man. I got it in the 80s. It does Modulation. That was my favorite Chorus. Really thick and heavy. Didn't sound like the digital Chorus sound that took over later.

Haters.

:laugh:

I have a couple chorus pedals myself: the V2 and V3 versions of the H20, a Catalinbread Callisto, and a Line 6 Tonecore Space Chorus for sure.

Maybe a few more- I forget. ;)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Funny thing, I hate Tube Screamers as much as some of you hate Chorus pedals. Even worse, it's hard to find an OD pedal that isn't a bloody TS clone of some kind. Squishy, compressed tone, like something the dog chewed and then threw up. Sorry, my somewhat jaundiced opinion.

I have three Chorus pedals: One is a small Cruzer By Crafter Chorus that seems to be the same as the Modtone Chorus, but even less expensive, somehow. (It was gift from my wife, along with the Cruzer Analog Delay, which also seems to be a Modtone clone). I also have the T.C. Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger and the Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator. The Cruzer gives a decent imitation of a classic Boss CE-2 Chorus. The T.C. sound is subtle, but beautifully done, the QTM is great for 'bent' Chorus sounds.

I find Chorus to be very useful in taming/masking some of the artifacts generated by Pitch-Shifting.

I own an xvive and a Mooer pedal, both on my board right now. I bought the Mooer Mod Factory pedal to see if I really wanted any modulation on my board. I had recently found a univibe sound I liked, saw the options of the Mod Factory and figured it would be a decent pedal to experiment with at a decent price. I have found that I am not really a modulation guy except for the tremolo on my Fender Excelsior. The Mod Factory did a decent job, though, and I will keep it in storage for a bit.

The Xvive is a reverb pedal and was purchased overseas over a year ago. I wanted something different than what most others have on their boards. The pedal works really well for what I want, has decent tone, and is not expected to leave the house. If I ever start gigging, I may want to upgrade to something else. But for now, I have no complaints.

Funny how my chorus pedal was so important at first and later found it's way to the chopping block...

Man, I generally can't stand chorus... ! :mad::crazy::D

I have only had one pedal break down on me and that was an Ibanez Tube Screamer...ran out and bought another one...and later sold it LOL! :cool:

:laugh: Hahhaahh! Check these out...

____ Beat Tube Screamer Contest :D

____

Very cool contest with some real fixer uppers LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I'm with you, Dannyalcatraz! Used to weigh just over 200, never managed to crush a pedal like that! Adds new meaning to the name "STOMP-box".

Ah, well, I guess you know it's Vintage if it looks like crap warmed over . . .

+1 Winston and Danny...It reminds me of Fender's "Relic" guitar crap. Taking a chain saw, flame torch and acid wash to a perfectly good custom shop guitar LOL! Those pedals had to be for the cred of looking like you have been in a rock band forever! :evil:
Take care, Larryz

Funny thing, I hate Tube Screamers as much as some of you hate Chorus pedals. Even worse, it's hard to find an OD pedal that isn't a bloody TS clone of some kind. Squishy, compressed tone, like something the dog chewed and then threw up. Sorry, my somewhat jaundiced opinion.

As I mentioned...not a TS clone:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCtYnOyxUfY&sns=em

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Archived