Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard PSUs

icarusi

Yesterday I decided to fire up the XW-P1,'cos it has a drum section which has individual groove settings for each drum, and found although I encounter it's PSU fairly often, that day it was AWOL. I've since found it (further down in the box I first suspected *and labelled*!!). In the interim I decided to use a universal PSU, ideal for this, right voltage, power and polarity *but* wrong DC tip. The closest one seemed to fit, but no joy. Bigger ones wouldn't fit.

A PSU that did show up was from a Korg Microsampler which was right voltage, power and polarity, so couldn't harm, and fortunately had the right DC tip. I'm still not sure what tip this is, but it does show up in some UPS sets and not in others. I suspect it's an EIAJ-03.

So worth checking the DC tips if your plan B involves universal PSUs or swapping PSUs between boards.

So if you have a Casio XW-P1 and a PX-5S, both can be battery operated, can you swap PSUs?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just check the tip as you said and usually as long as the voltage and amperage is OK, it should work. No idea whether the power supplies for the PX or the XW are regulated.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

A little tangent from this thread but might be useful info for some: I needed a replacement PSU for my Roland A800 Pro, and Ebay is where I found it. Much cheaper than the official Roland unit, and it's a switching vs. transformer design so it's usable anywhere in the world with a plug adapter. The Roland one is only good on USA voltage.

My A800 Pro was an upgrade from an older Edirol (Roland) keyboard (PCR-M80, two generations behind the A800). The PCR-M80 came with a PSU, unlike the A800. Great in the accessory bag it went, just for emergencies. On one gig I was in a jam and couldn't power the A800 via USB so I pulled out this PSU - same brand, same amperage rating, same voltage, same exact ID and OD tip size. One minor difference: reversed polarity! Thanks Roland!! It seems the A800 must have had a diode that protects against reversed voltage because I did get a little lucky that day and managed to not fry my keyboard (it just refused to turn on)!

My Plan A is to tape a paper label to each PSU identifying it, keep all unused PSUs in the same bin, and have duplicates for important keyboards.

Haven't needed a plan B. BTW the Casio PX-5S PSU works great for the Hammond XK-1C, and is less than half the price.

Moe

---

Just check the tip as you said and usually as long as the voltage and amperage is OK, it should work. No idea whether the power supplies for the PX or the XW are regulated.

Unfortunately no! EIAJ tips usually have a smaller pin, so the normal barrel tips don't contact correctly. IIRC in the past I've used al-foil in the barrel as a workaround, but not recommended as too easy to short out the connector. TBH the EIAJ tips are a better design as the centre has a clip to grip the pin and the outer has a cylindrical groove so don't fall out, always need a decisive pull. More often seen on laptop and similar PSUs.

My Plan A is to tape a paper label to each PSU identifying it, keep all unused PSUs in the same bin, and have duplicates for important keyboards.

Haven't needed a plan B. BTW the Casio PX-5S PSU works great for the Hammond XK-1C, and is less than half the price.

I suspect the PX-5S PSU is common across the PX range and the tip type has capacity to deliver more power than the PX-5S needs. Only the polarity is common to the XW-P1 the voltage and tip type are different.

One minor difference: reversed polarity! Thanks Roland!! It seems the A800 must have had a diode that protects against reversed voltage because I did get a little lucky that day and managed to not fry my keyboard (it just refused to turn on)!

Most of Roland's guitar stuff is -ve pin, ditto a lot of other makes guitar intended FX pedals. I'll have to check their bigger boards but I think they're +ve pin

I suspect the PX-5S PSU is common across the PX range and the tip type has capacity to deliver more power than the PX-5S needs. Only the polarity is common to the XW-P1 the voltage and tip type are different.

Yes, that 12V Casio power adapter is used on a number of their products, including most of the PX series (but not all), some WKs and CTKs and others. The XW-P1, G1, and PD1 use a 9.5V adapter.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived