Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sturgill Simpson's organ player

MathOfInsects

Why was the lead singer of Steppinwolf beating up a B3?

Steppenwolf , funny. I imediatly thought he was a Ramones wannabe and didn't the first song sound like the Black Crows, Too Hard To Handle ?

Despite all that they did bring some energy to the show which has been missing for too long.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the Hammond survived. As long as the generator is bolted down, the worst that would probably happen is a busted tube or broken keys if he stood on it carelessly. Those things are built like tanks.

The cab is not worth worrying much about either. The only one I ever saw with more rickety legs than that one was my first B2.

Moe

---

And as you know you keep the generators locked down on gig organs. The only thing I would be worried about is the bus bars if he was jumping on the manuals with any weight. A bus bar job is a pain in the ass.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

A good enough jolt (coupled with a perfectly-timed visit from good ol' Murphy) can cause damage to couplings or tone wheel shafts or knock pickup rods loose if the screws holding them in have worked loose over time.

Busbars are the least of your worries if standing on the manuals. Pushers, contact springs, and keycombs are more likely casualties. Yes, these are tough beasts, but given the finite supply it is prudent to not go asking for trouble on purpose...at least that's how I see it. :)

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I know the organist and have recorded with the bassist. Both are Detroit guys and really cool people. It's great to see them getting some well-deserved recognition. While I wouldn't personally do that to my Hammond, it is his instrument and hey... it got people talking.

Definitely great that they're getting recognition, and that Sturgill had a way to give Nashville the metaphorical bird on national television. Hopefully more people discover his records...they're effing fantastic.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Thanks for pointing out this guy's videos, fantastic stuff, reminds me a bit of JJ Grey and Mofro (whose Keyboard player is also fantastic), but but each has a distinct sound.

Despite the awesom groove, that last song is a pretty angry song if you listen to the lyrics, and supposedly Simpson wrote the album from the perspective of a father writing to his newborn son, so that would be emotional. Then again, maybe it's just showmanship.

FWIW, the newest album is available as a download on iTunes for only $7.99. I might buy a copy later, like after the spring thaw, but on a cold night, these hot tunes will do nicely.

Didn't Seth Justman from J. Giels band used to climb on his equipment while playing?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

We'll clearly I'm in the minority here because I didn't dig it at all. I'm not weepy for the mistreated Hammond (or the Tele), I just thought the whole performance tried too hard to "create buzz", which it clearly did. His breakout record was one fine piece of work and I count myself among the fans of his songs and singing. But this looked like dogs marking territory to me. I dug the drummer/bass player, and the horns were tight, but Sturgil and his showoff organ player appeared to care way more about "attitude posture" than music. More like wrestlers than musicians. If your song cant connect to the listener without sneers and fingers, your wasting my time.

Archived