Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New VST host: Gig Performer

johnchop

I just wanted to share my positive experience with GP and the exceptional support I received. I was having an issue with Acoustic Samples B5 in UVI Workstation regarding the assignment of controllers on my PX5 keyboard. In brief, the controllers would work, but cease to work when I assigned an associated widget to the GP rack space. I sent an email to support and got unexpectedly quick response to an issue that may not have even been GP, including very quick follow up responses. It all ended with a Remote Desktop session last evening. It turns out to be a B5 AU implementation issue. Thanks to David at GP for the exceptional support and really fine software.

I've had similar, positive experiences with the developers of GP and GP in general. And, funny enough, I am having B5 mapping issues as well. I found VB3 works perfectly with GP with no issues. I figured I'd dust off B5 which I rarely to never use and right off the bat I found it more difficult to map than VB3. Specifically, the drawbars are reversed. There's a switch within B5 to reverse the drawbars but that did no good. I may just stick with VB3

Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, while we will be doing an official press release on new features soon, I thought people here might be interested in checking out the new Gig Performer update. Among other things, we've added a feature we call Predictive Loading which loads, configures or unloads plugins in the background as you move from song to song. If your playing style is such that you tend to follow a set list, then you can use this feature to reduce drastically the amount of RAM needed for your show and still have instant switching from one rackspace to the next. CPU utilization is significantly reduced as well.

I'm not going to report my RAM results because the cynics/skeptics will ignore me and do their own tests :-)

More details on this feature on our blog. See

http://www.gigperformer.com/predictive-loading-in-gig-performer

Enjoy,

David

As you do this, something to keep in mind is that with Predictive Loading enabled, you can in principle have thousands of rackspaces with barely any impact on your system. So if you use multiple rackspaces per song and they're similar, you can just duplicate them over and over again and insert copies within each song.

This feature does however expose an interesting organization issue that we'll have to address. When you have 20 or 30 rackspaces, it's not a big deal to drag them up or down to reorganize them. However, if you have hundreds of rackspaces, it becomes a bigger management problem. We have a long term solution for this but we're probably going to have to do something simple in the short term as well otherwise it will get frustrating to organize them. I suppose it's a good problem to have!

Cool idea! There seems to have been an uptick in the hardware-versus-computer threads here lately, and this has reminded me about one of the "positives" about dedicated hardware that doesn't seem to get mentioned much... the ability to pretty much go from any sound to any other sound instantaneously, something you can't take for granted on a laptop. This sounds like a very useful way to help address that.

What do you think about the ability to "lock" something so it doesn't unload, while the other elements come and go? That could be useful for people who, as you say, often use the same elements in the same sequence, yet also may need to occasionally do something at a moment's notice, for which a handful of always-instantly-available sounds could also be useful.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Gig Performer has always had the ability to go from any sound to any other sound instantaneously. In fact, that feature, called Patch Persist, will work over more than one change so, for example, if you hold down a note, then switch rackspace, then hold down another note then switch rackspace, then hold down a note....well, you get the picture, all the previous notes, each coming from a completely separate set of plugins, will stay on until you release keys.

The predictive loading feature retains that Patch Persist mechanism.

The ability to make specified rackspaces "sticky", i.e, immune from predictive loading is already on our radar for precisely the reason you mention but, as I've mentioned elsewhere, if we waited until we implemented every single feature on our list, it would be 5 years before the next version would come out! Ideas for new useful features is not something we're short of!

Predictive loading is a nice tradeoff that gives you glitchless behavior for a (dynamically changing) restricted set of plugins and is currently intended to take advantage of musicians who play a set list. If you don't play that way, then the feature may be less useful. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Stop wavering :-)

Seriously though, I've been where it sounds like you are. Not so long ago, I was schlepping 9 keyboards to gigs (Korg Oasys, Minimoog, Nord C2D, Prophet 6, Yamaha AN1X and four keyboard controllers AND I was still using software plugins. But touring has gotten to the point where it's not cost effective to ship stuff and so we just rent a backline if we're traveling far.

So I'm personally moving forward on the presumption that other than knowing that there will be three 61 note controllers and one weighted 88 note controller available that can be connected via USB, I'm not even assuming the existence of knobs or sliders on the controllers, and depending completely on Lemur running on an iPad for that.

It all seems to be working pretty well that way though so although I miss the playability of such things as "hands-on" control of the cutoff frequency on the Minimoog or waterfall keyboard for organ work, in practice it is a good compromise.

although I miss the playability of such things as "hands-on" control of the cutoff frequency

You could add something like a Korg Nanokontrol to your rig, tiny and weighs almost nothing. Someone also recently posted about this device that looks pretty cool...

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/midi-fighter-twister

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have all sorts of interesting control surfaces but they are not the same as actually twisting the knobs and flipping the switches on a real Minimoog (for example)

Having said that, that midi-fighter-twister looks very cool, might have to get one.

The other interesting controller around these days are ROLI blocks. I'm hoping to adapt one of those for Gig Performer usage soon.

I have all sorts of interesting control surfaces but they are not the same as actually twisting the knobs and flipping the switches on a real Minimoog (for example)

True that! If someone is sufficiently committed, though, you can do some cool things, check this out (starting at about 50 seconds in)...

[video:youtube]

ETA: Ooh, I forgot about this guy, who makes these kinds of controllers in small batches.... http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=1514

SFC_shot.jpg

I know, nothing's quite the same as the real thing, but still... ;-)

I've taken the plunge and ordered a MacBook Pro and a MOTU Ultralight to use on gigs. I seriously looked at a Kronos but already have a lot of money wrapped up in VIs which offer a tremendous amount of flexibility. Gig Performer will be my host program. Little glitches have been fixed in a matter of days which gives me a fair amount of confidence in the program and the developers commitment. The ability to quickly change input devices is a breeze as the screen layout is very clean. As I use a couple of iPads on stage I'll give the Lemur interface a bash, but one step at a time.

The luddite in me will still continue to use my Kurzweil and Yamaha boards but looking at the sounds I'm using in GP I can see at least one of the boards being phased out in favour of a lighter controller or more probably my PX-5S as it has great master controller functionality and good sounds in a package that's an easy carry.

GP is fast developing from a good program to a great program and I can't wait to see what comes next.

So many drummers, so little time.

For what it's worth, I have just stopped using my Kronos. I love that keyboard but now I'm just using controllers (three 61-note controllers and one 88-note controller).

I spent several weeks sampling sounds that I had created on the Kronos and threw them into Kontakt to use live. So my Kronos will live on in the virtual world. I think it's one of the best workstations ever developed.

I agree that it's a superb workstation and I've been a big fan of Korg gear going all the way back to my 700S 'Mini Korg'.

It's just that with software I feel that I can now build my own Kronos, based on my specific requirements. For instance I don't need an MS20 but I do need an M1, a killer Clavinet and good horn sections. For other gigs it's a lot of 80's synth, Emulator samples and Fairlight.

The flexibility with software is tremendous and I've been stress testing the GP rig for a couple of weeks now with very few glitches, most of them operator error.

• 5 months later...

I have been usig it for a while now, and it works great on my 2015 13" MBP (i5 2.9GHz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD).

Ocassionally, there is a slight delay when switching between Rackspaces, but it's like less than a half second, and once it has loaded it just keeps on going. Again, this rarely happens, and only when switching between Rackspaces with large sample libraries.

I experienced a few anomalies with the earliest builds, but those were quickly fixed and the last couple of months it has been solid and stable. Also, the devs/owners respond personally on their forum, and reported bugs get dealt with swiftly in point updates.

I was most impressed when I mentioned the need for MIDI Velocity Limiting (Constrain), and found it implemented in an update about a week later :-)

GP is flexible and powerful, yet super-easy to use. However, it doesn't play audio loops or MIDI files, so if you need that kind of functionality, you'll need another app to accomplish that.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

@Gig Performer- I have been checking the forum out actually, you seem to have a great product here, and this announcement about audio loops/mp3 playback has just killed off one potential worry I had!

Also, your fast response to user issues is commendable and encouraging.

@zephonic- thanks for your update!

Been using GP in two different bands for the past 5 months and now don't use any hardware sounds on stage. GP has been rock solid and I now forget that I'm using software only. MacBook Pro, MOTU Ultralite and MOTU Microlite Midi Interface.

Did a gig on Saturday and one guy who used to run a Hammond repair business commented on how good my Hammond sound was. He was shocked that everything is in the box. The only concession to hardware is that B5 is fed via GP into a mini vent then back into GP.

Great piece of software and the introduction of MP3 and loop playback will be the cherry on top.

Unless you're in predictive loading mode and loading a rackspace beyond the current range, there should not be any delay. Is there any particular plugin where you're seeing (hearing?) this happen?

Ocassionally, there is a slight delay when switching between Rackspaces, but it's like less than a half second, and once it has loaded it just keeps on going. Again, this rarely happens, and only when switching between Rackspaces with large sample libraries.

A built-in plugin to support audio loops (as well as the ability to play entire MP3 files for background tracks) is in beta --- coming soon :-)

:2thu:

Hope it'll be possible to sync audio loops to the master tempo!

I will chime in as well...

I used it during the free trial, and even back then it was great.

The only reason I did not pull the trigger, so to speak, is I wasn't sold on using my Macbook yet, as documented in my Mainstage threads.

As I am now getting more comfortable with using my laptop rig on gigs, I am wanting to get some more intensive 3rd party VST/AU, such as Kontakt.

When I was using GP trial, it ran a couple Kontakt instruments I had wonderfully. It consumed half to less than half of the CPU when using Kontakt in Mainstage.

This is important given my basic 13" Macbook Pro.

Now that Apple has fixed the CPU/Retina issues, it is time for me to revisit GP and the great world of non Apple VSTs out there.

Baby steps for me ;)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Unless you're in predictive loading mode and loading a rackspace beyond the current range, there should not be any delay. Is there any particular plugin where you're seeing (hearing?) this happen?

Not sure. And like I say it rarely happens, and even when it does, it comes in almost immediately.

I typically use Omnisphere, Kontakt, AIR Expand!2, and the MDA talkbox and TAL vocoder.

Come to think of it, it may have something to do with using two different audio devices simultaneously; a USB mic (audio input) and Jupiter 50 (audio output). My buffer is set at 64 samples.

Come to think of it, it may have something to do with using two different audio devices simultaneously; a USB mic (audio input) and Jupiter 50 (audio output). My buffer is set at 64 samples.

64?? Wow.... I love you ;)

I'm doing well to get 256 for a streamlined performance.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Yup, GP at 64-sample buffer, with two different audio devices.

giphy.gif

I have a few rack spaces that forced me to bump up to a 128 buffer. But dig it; VB3, Melda Vintage Rotary, Pianoteq, Replika(delay), and Melda Mreverb. All of that at the same time....I can live with the 128 buffer.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Yeah, I am a little surprised at how easily GP plays back at 64 samples. I think the computer is a factor, though. I specifically bought this MBP last November for live music use, and have not installed anything I do not absolutely need. I have restricted email to just one account I hardly ever use, turned off Photos Sync etc. So it's a pretty clean and lean machine, and still pretty new, too.

Also, I keep external MIDI controls very simple, only program changes and tap tempo.

Frankly, with the USB mic engaged, the 64 sample buffer doesn't feel all that snappy, so I suspect there is some buffering going on elsewhere. When it's just the keyboard, it is pretty good.

Still, Roland's USB Audio implementation is not quite as good as -say- MOTU's, and even the MBP's internal audio feels more efficient at times. Or maybe USB is the bottleneck here? :idk

I have a few rack spaces that forced me to bump up to a 128 buffer. But dig it; VB3, Melda Vintage Rotary, Pianoteq, Replika(delay), and Melda Mreverb. All of that at the same time....I can live with the 128 buffer.

If you use VB-3, you are using something to bridge it, right? Maybe that also affects LLP.

Archived