Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New VST host: Gig Performer

johnchop

But you said it's coming anyway, right?

Yep. Work has already started on that feature.

Yes, possible. Like I said in a previous post, that A-70 is old and while the keyboard/pedal/pitchbend/modulation work fine, the other controls seem erratic. For the remainder of the gig, I engaged panel lock, and it didn't happen again.

OK -- so for now I'm not going to worry about it being a possible GP issue. It may be that you should use a MIDI filter to block everything other than pedal/pitchbend/modulation for that particular chain.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow --- what a great discovery --- nobody noticed that so far (including us).

I was able to reproduce it so we'll fix it for the next release, due out in a few days.

In general, please report problems and bugs through our contact page (gigperformer.com/support).

The suggestion to pick up split point by pressing a key is already on our "we'll get to that as soon as we can" list!

That's great. It does affect all splits above E3 whereby every split is off by a semitone. Also on the split points, the visual representation doesn't take into account any transpose. So the visual representation shows the correct split point with the area below the point indicated in dark grey. However if you have a -12 transpose, then it shows the notes played in the bottom octave of the split point as being in the dark grey area. Hard to explain but it appears that the split point graphic is showing the original notes and not the transposed notes.

So many drummers, so little time.

If you're just going out the headphone jack then you should be able to use the Mac's volume control!

Sure, but I'd rather not. Also, I wouldn't know how to remotely control the system volume.

Something like this could also be useful... turns your headphone out into a balanced XLR out with an easily accessible volume control

https://www.dsan.com/Audio/Audio.asp

Great find, Scott, thanks! :thu:

I was thinking of getting one of those Radial Stagebugs, but this would do the trick.

Also on the split points, the visual representation doesn't take into account any transpose. So the visual representation shows the correct split point with the area below the point indicated in dark grey. However if you have a -12 transpose, then it shows the notes played in the bottom octave of the split point as being in the dark grey area. Hard to explain but it appears that the split point graphic is showing the original notes and not the transposed notes.

Yeah, I wondered about that as well. But I don't worry about it because the range is where it is supposed to be.

Another thing is that the MIDI IN bypass indication is not consistent. For example, if you select 'bypass' from the drop-down menu (right-click), the 'bypass" in the window (double-click) is not highlighted. Again, it does not affect functionality, so no big, but could be tidied up.

And since we're talking, it would be cool if you could duplicate blocks across rackspaces. But I get that's probably hard to implement, especially with VI's.

I'll say this, though, for Gig Performer: I'm excited because it makes programming effortless and FUN!

I used to like Rolands because they were the easiest to program for me, but it was still a chore. Programming the Krome is a pain because it takes sooo much menu and window swapping.

But GP just makes it easy. It is still early days, but -a few niggles notwithstanding- the more I use it, the more I like it.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Another little quirk. Intermittently after resizing, dragging or using full screen mode the mouse button behaviour becomes erratic. To select edit I have to use the right click. Resize again and it goes back to a normal left click operation. It does appear to be linked to resizing the main window using the bottom right hand corner drag (this is on a Mac).

As posted above, just a bit of tidying up.

Hey guys. Really appreciating the feedback and suggestions but I'd like to ask if you could submit bug reports through our contact site (http://gigperformer.com/support) so that we can more easily track issues. We need to know things like which OS is being used, what hardware etc, depending on the issue.

@zephonic You can already duplicate an entire rackspace and all the plugins (as well as front panel widgets) will show up. Sometimes it is easier to do this and then delete things you don't want. However, the ability to actually copy/paste plugins (and groups of plugins) will show up in a future update (can't say exactly when!)

Hey guys. Really appreciating the feedback and suggestions but I'd like to ask if you could submit bug reports through our contact site (http://gigperformer.com/support) so that we can more easily track issues. We need to know things like which OS is being used, what hardware etc, depending on the issue.

@zephonic You can already duplicate an entire rackspace and all the plugins (as well as front panel widgets) will show up. Sometimes it is easier to do this and then delete things you don't want. However, the ability to actually copy/paste plugins (and groups of plugins) will show up in a future update (can't say exactly when!)

Apologies - I'll submit a bug report through the website. Thanks for the updates on the progress, it gives me a lot of confidence that the program will continue to evolve.

Thanks for the updates on the progress, it gives me a lot of confidence that the program will continue to evolve.

We have years of ideas to implement into Gig Performer. We ain't stopping now!

New update was just released today - among some new stuff, that keyboard split and BYPASS issues are both fixed.

Something like this could also be useful... turns your headphone out into a balanced XLR out with an easily accessible volume control

https://www.dsan.com/Audio/Audio.asp

Great find, Scott, thanks! :thu:

I was thinking of getting one of those Radial Stagebugs, but this would do the trick.

That looks really cool, especially the LSP2 model which is stereo.

Yes, great find, Scott!

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

A master volume mechanism is being implemented for exactly this purpose. The reason we didn't implement this already is because we figured people could easily do this from their audio interface, either directly or by using a MIDI command (which is how I do mine). So it's coming :-)

Thinking about this some more, I figure having a mono sum button in the master volume section could be handy.

So I can just set up everything in stereo, but quickly give sound guys a mono feed if that is needed, without having to reach for an external solution.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I can tell you that ever since I stumbled upon Gig Performer it has become the most important software in my Windows machine. GP glues together all my VST instruments and plug-ins and makes it very easy and flexible to use them all. What a well-written app!

Long time mainstage user here, and i have been trying out gigperformer for a week now...

I think it should be everyone that is on windows default choice as a live VST host...

In general you want to have two sepperate hosts, like ableton or Cubase for the backings... and Gig performer (or mainstage) for the keyboards parts... when you want to replace a hardware workstation like Kronos..

Hey guys, I'm going to be at NAMM for a couple of days and if any of you are there, would love to stop and chat. I do have a t-shirt with Gig Performer on it but not sure when I'll be wearing it (it's a bit corny!) Anyway, PM me if you're there and maybe we can connect.

Also, I have to say I have really appreciated all the feedback (including the criticisms) from you guys. I've said it before but GP is really a labor of love for us.

I did however want to address one item that I've seen mentioned a few times. Some users (and hopefully some soon to be users) have rightly criticized us for not having the ability to control multiple parameters from a single knob. As it happens, we had some important reasons for not having that feature from the very beginning, mostly around our vision for how it ought to be done. For myself, I've never liked the approach where multiple parameters are "dropped" on to a single knob, I always found it too hard to quickly "understand" what was happening when looking at a GUI with multiple different colored patches surrounding a knob. I never loved the "lists of associations" approach either. I want to be able to just look at my front panel and easily understand what is being controlled and from where.

Anyhow, we have now implemented our approach and it will be in the next release. I wrote a blog article describing our approach and I'd love any feedback. Please see http://www.gigperformer.com/introduction-to-widget-groups if you're interested.

Take care,

D

Somone mentioned the split points being off by a semi tone. I was fiddling around with creating some splits last night and I noticed something like this but didn't have time to explore. Anyone have a bit more experience with this?
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

My rig, until very recently, has been very simple. Usually one hardware synth/keyboard. The most complex its been was when I was using an Alesis NanoPiano midi'd up to a Fatar controller. So my MIDI game is way off. I'd like to use my Electro 2 and my Nord Stage as controllers for Gigperformer. Each keyboard will be controlling independent VST's within a Rackspace. Here's the MIDI 101 question. How do I set the MIDI channels so that I don't have 2 keyboards both controlling the same sounds?

Assuming your keyboards are connected on separate ports, just create two MIDI In blocks, one for each port.

On the other hand, if both of your keyboards are on the same MIDI port (i.e, you're using MIDI through), first make sure each keyboard is on a separate MIDI channel then again, use two MIDI In blocks but this time, turn off all the channels except the one for the specific keyboard.

You really don't have to worry about channels if all you want is separate the two keyboards.

Rather than inserting a "MIDI In (OMNI)" block in GP - you would right click and insert one for each keyboard/controller you have.

Whatever you connect to that block will only respond to that keyboard.

Take a look at this simple connection view for two devices - an MK-461 keyboard and a Mashine Micro controller. Although they both send MIDI on the same channel - when I play the MK-461 - I will hear FM8 and when I play on the Mashine controller - I will hear the Battery plugin

http://www.gigperformer.com/downloads/misc/GP-two-midi-devices.png

How do I set the MIDI channels so that I don't have 2 keyboards both controlling the same sounds?

Like most keyboards, these Nords allow you to select their MIDI transmit channels. So you set your Nord Electro 2 to transmit on a different channel than your Nord Stage. The Electro is simple, one setting, and you're done. The Stage is a little more complicated because it presents you with more options... in fact, its EXT function means that you can even create different user programs that will transmit on different MIDI channels. But relax, what you want to do is not complicated. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How do I set the MIDI channels so that I don't have 2 keyboards both controlling the same sounds?

Like most keyboards, these Nords allow you to select their MIDI transmit channels. So you set your Nord Electro 2 to transmit on a different channel than your Nord Stage. The Electro is simple, one setting, and you're done. The Stage is a little more complicated because it presents you with more options... in fact, its EXT function means that you can even create different user programs that will transmit on different MIDI channels. But relax, what you want to do is not complicated. ;-)

Thanks!

Thanks!

While it is most likely very easy to change channels on your keyboards - I tried to make the point that you don't have to - unless there is a really good reason to do it.

Rather than have one omni midi in receiver block that listens to all devices and all channels - it is far easier and more convenient to simply create one midi in block per device.

You can visually see which plugin is connected to which keyboard and you do not have to change the midi channels.

It also allows you to separately control the transpose or keyboard splitting and so one for each device.

While it is most likely very easy to change channels on your keyboards - I tried to make the point that you don't have to - unless there is a really good reason to do it.

Rather than have one omni midi in receiver block that listens to all devices and all channels - it is far easier and more convenient to simply create one midi in block per device.

You can visually see which plugin is connected to which keyboard and you do not have to change the midi channels.

It also allows you to separately control the transpose or keyboard splitting and so one for each device.

I'm gonna try this later today. Forgive my continued naivete;if i'm using a MIDI interface with both keyboards midi'd up to it, will each MIDI block recognize the incoming signals as it's own device?

Your MIDI interface will most likely have multiple ports. Usually named "A", "B" etc... GP will give you ability to have one MIDI in block per port.

Further - you can go into your Audio MIDI Setup on your Mac and actually name your keyboards any way you want. So if you always connect "Keyboard 1" to your MIDI device Port A for example - you can create a MIDI device in Audio MIDI setup and then connect Port A from your midi device to it.

If you now open GP - you will notice that instead of "Port A" you will see "Keyboard 1" or whatever name you typed in for your device.

It is unlikely that you are somehow connecting both keyboards to the same port, but if you do - you would have to change the channel on one keyboard, then still create two MIDI in blocks in GP, but in channel mappings - you would allow only channel 1 in block 1 for example and channel 2 in block 2 or even map the channel 2 to channel 1 in block 2. Then you can still use the two block separately as if you had two ports or two different USB midi devices.

This should all be fairly straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Your MIDI interface will most likely have multiple ports. Usually named "A", "B" etc... GP will give you ability to have one MIDI in block per port.

Further - you can go into your Audio MIDI Setup on your Mac and actually name your keyboards any way you want. So if you always connect "Keyboard 1" to your MIDI device Port A for example - you can create a MIDI device in Audio MIDI setup and then connect Port A from your midi device to it.

If you now open GP - you will notice that instead of "Port A" you will see "Keyboard 1" or whatever name you typed in for your device.

It is unlikely that you are somehow connecting both keyboards to the same port, but if you do - you would have to change the channel on one keyboard, then still create two MIDI in blocks in GP, but in channel mappings - you would allow only channel 1 in block 1 for example and channel 2 in block 2 or even map the channel 2 to channel 1 in block 2. Then you can still use the two block separately as if you had two ports or two different USB midi devices.

This should all be fairly straight forward.

Hope this helps.

This helped, it was a quick and painless setup. Thanks again!

I have finally overtaxed my CPU using GIgperformer. Again, my specs are 2011 MBPro with 2.2 quad i7, 16 gig Ram and a SSD. Here's what it finally took for me to start getting pops and crackles; I have a rackspace (patch in Mainstage) with VB3 and L'otary(a known cpu hog). I have Pianoteq pianet running though Amplitude. This is split on one keyboard with VB3. I have yet another instance of Pianoteq for acoustic piano running through a PSP EQ plugin. This is going to a second keyboard. They're all going through a reverb plug in. All of this, with a 64 buffer setting! Rather than increasing my buffer to 128, I'm going to forgo L'Otary for this rackspace and just run VB3 with it's own rotary effect, which is actually quite good. I noticed that L'Otary was what was pushing it over the edge.

What was confusing me (and I've noticed the same thing in Mainstage) is that the pops and crackles were starting at aroung 75% CPU. I've always assumed that they wouldnt occur before something like 90% In fact, I never really got much past 75%

One quick question. How does the licensing work? e.g. how many machines can I run GP on with one licence? Typically I would expect to work on my desktop then transfer to my laptop for performance.

Also would I have to buy a separate licence if my main machine was Mac and the laptop a Windows based machine?

Might not have been looking in the right place on your site but I couldn't find any specifics on licensing.

Each GP license can be active on two computers at the same time. So you can have it activated on your desktop and your laptop at the same time.

You can also always deactivate your license on one of your computers and activate on another using the main menu.

Windows and OSX licenses are separate.

I just wanted to share my positive experience with GP and the exceptional support I received. I was having an issue with Acoustic Samples B5 in UVI Workstation regarding the assignment of controllers on my PX5 keyboard. In brief, the controllers would work, but cease to work when I assigned an associated widget to the GP rack space. I sent an email to support and got unexpectedly quick response to an issue that may not have even been GP, including very quick follow up responses. It all ended with a Remote Desktop session last evening. It turns out to be a B5 AU implementation issue. Thanks to David at GP for the exceptional support and really fine software.

Archived