Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frankie Valli still doing shows-Is he LIVE or is it Memorex?

MikeT156

McCartney seemed to be doing a little of Option 1 at the beginning of the show I saw, but then settled in to his own.

You should add an Option 5, which is heavy use of pitch correction and other hidden assistance.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 or nothing. Sorry, just the way I feel. If you can't sing the parts (or play them) maybe it's time to not play live. It sucks that faking parts is as prevalent as it is, even down to the small-time level. I play in a cover band with no tracks, and if someone told me that we need tracks to keep up with the Joneses I'd quit playing live. Easy for me to say, I have a day job, but it really bites that audiences are losing their appreciation for actual musicians.

If you're Stevie Wonder, the answer is:

5. Perform the entirety of Songs in the Key of Life 40 years later without conceding as much as a half step the entire performance, or giving away the high notes, or using technological crutches.

I was amazed.

So what would you prefer?

1. Artist lip-syncs to a recorded track (Valli, Parton and others)

Friend of mine sat in on guitar with Dolly for a few weeks a while back. She chose what she'd sing or sync on a daily basis. Most of the time she sang. The guitar player was also given the option of mimicking his parts if he felt he hadn't had enough time to shed. He opted to play.

Friend of mine sat in on guitar with Dolly for a few weeks a while back. She chose what she'd sing or sync on a daily basis. Most of the time she sang. The guitar player was also given the option of mimicking his parts if he felt he hadn't had enough time to shed. He opted to play.

Often there's a pedal that lets you click in to play live, or click out to mime to track.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I would prefer live, but its enterainment and as Timwat observed audiences want a good time, to relive their memories and will not be bothered or notice what happens behind the scenes to deliver it.

I saw McCartney 10 or so years ago and he was definitely live and the vocals were not quite right in many places. Didn't bother me but I wouldn't go again.

Saw Bryan Ferry 15 years ago and Avalon was atrocious. Instead of leaving it to the backing singers he would try, miss and then drop out. That combined with his offhand stage demeanor meant that was the very last time a dollar out of my wallet that went his way.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

If you're Stevie Wonder, the answer is:

5. Perform the entirety of Songs in the Key of Life 40 years later without conceding as much as a half step the entire performance, or giving away the high notes, or using technological crutches.

I was amazed.

Didn't Stevie get one of the backing guys to do the Superstition scream?

I'm not complaining - provided there's no attempt to mislead, it's fine with me.

Saw Bryan Ferry 15 years ago and Avalon was atrocious.

Ferry's singing has always been atrocious live, no? I can't think of a time when I've heard him and thought "good singer". And I can't even give him a Bob Dylan pass. (Dylan can/could sing quite well, just chooses not to).

Cheers, Mike.

Archived