Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greatest guitar player TODAY

Big Dave

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who is your 'greatest' right now??

No telling who is the greatest, and if there were one, it would only last until someone surpassed that one. You know there are plenty of great players you will never hear of, playing in small clubs and at home or among friends. I know I have seen some astounding players locally in different places many times.

The concept of best ever, or greatest, is a fallacy that can never be answered. Just my $.02

Now the question worded as follows "who is your favorite, IN YOUR OPINION" can be answered, but it is only that, a one person OPINION

And opinions are not necessarily facts. They are ONLY opinions

I think the point of a question like this is more for entertainment and FUN, there is no quantitative way to tell who is greatest. I mean its not math its art.

Lok

As to the female guitarists there are plenty of good ones, None of them strike me as the greatest, but I like listening to them as much as others. If you have to say female or male then you have already given into stereo types.

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

The most recorded guitarist in history.

[video:youtube]

I thought the most recorded guitarist was Tommy Tedesco.

Not according to Music City propaganda. Things have slowed down the last few years but that town laid down a high volume of work for such a longtime.

That said the Tedescos were great musicians.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The question is who is your greatest guitar player, not who is the greatest guitar player.

Therefore, being a rhythm guitarist, my "greatest guitar player" is:

James Hetfield

+Peace><> ... and Merry Christmas! :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I mentioned we go through this sort of thing in another forum about movies and such. They even have an "off-topic" page where there's sometimes discussions about music. Some people get in there and proclaim some SONG or another to be a "great" song. Well, often I don't think that the particular song was all that "great". I have people in my family who always declare some brand of something or other is the "best" and other sweeping generalities. One niece of mine once declared, "EVERYTHING tastes better wrapped in a TORTILLA!" at a birthday party once. I couldn't resist. When they passed out the cake and ice cream, I handed HER serving to her wrapped in a tortilla! :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

@ Fang, I would have loved to have been there to see the look on your niece's face LOL!

@ Bic, +1 on playing rhythm guitar. I play some lead and love to improvise but my true calling is still rhythm using the guitar for backing up my vocals and when playing with others that play lead better than I can. We deserve our own rhythm thread LOL!

and a Merry Christmas to all! :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

The question is who is your greatest guitar player, not who is the greatest guitar player.

Tough Question, it's hard to decide, greatest sideman, greatest rhythm player, greatest lead, greatest body of work over a career, etc?

I'm planning on seeing David Bromberg later this week, so I'll choose him.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

@ Bic, +1 on playing rhythm guitar. I play some lead and love to improvise but my true calling is still rhythm using the guitar for backing up my vocals and when playing with others that play lead better than I can. We deserve our own rhythm thread LOL!

and a Merry Christmas to all! :2thu:

And a belated Merry Christmas to you too! :thu:

Yeah... I simply suck at lead, so I concentrate on what I know. :D Although I do not do much alternate picking (other than gallops), I do incorporate a lot of 3-fingered hybrid picking with my song writing which is heavily influenced by classic metal.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

For rhythm guitar I like the country pickers best. Using the pick and 3 fingers on the strumming hand. I saw Vince Gill do that one time long ago, and I took it up in a few tunes. And it is my most impressive bit of rhythm playing. It took some time to get it down but it is neat as can be.

Archived