Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adding an organ to my setup

nkfarwell

Hi all, lately I've come to the conclusion that I really need to add an organ to my setup, the TP40M action on my Nord just does not let me begin to really play the instrument. Here's what I'm looking for in the instrument:

-lightweight

-MIDI

-realistic action (I play an authentic C3 at my church so I'm a snob here)

-single-tiered

Initially, I was thinking I could get a standard MIDI controller with nice waterfall action and run it through my organ libs, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea? There's amp control on the vst, but it's really not quite like a real live amp. Granted, my amp is entry level, so I probably wouldn't benefit a lot from that aspect of it. My price range is negotiable, but I'd really like to spend less than $1,000. What do you think are some good options? I could grab an old XK, go with a lower-end Korg, etc. Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IDK, this topic isn't discussed often.

That was sarcasm, in case you missed it. All sorts of opinions here on what a second, organ-focused board might look like, even within your parameters. Lots of choices, few of them bad.

Best of luck!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Suprisingly limited selection of waterfall midi controllers. Id say about zero. The best your likely to easily come across is something with square front keys. You could look for an old xk1 but slaving to a sound engine might be tough. My recollection is it uses non standard midi messages and works best slaved to another Hamm9nd Suzuki board. Some will mention the VMK161 waterfall. The keys feel good but otherwise its a clunky piece of doodie. Midi controll is very slow.

FunMachine.

Let the fireworks begin ! ..... :roll:

For $1k or under, a gently used xk1c would work, a Numa 1 used or Numa 2 fit the budget , If it were me right at this moment, I would spend a little more and get a Mojo61.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

OK, just sayin', the Nord Electro doesn't suck -- either from a keyboard feel, sound generation or effects. I play them. I know there's better out there. But, all in all, I've never been able to pull the trigger on something onstenibly better. It might happen, though.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I happen to have an XK-1C for sale in the Garage Sale for $750, tooting my own horn.

Edit: I see Dave mentioned it above, thanks!

As an owner of the xk-1C, I'll just add that this is an excellent price.

And I'm not even getting a percentage!

Archived