Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So the other day...

skipclone 1

I went to the Spain festival last Saturday, one of a series of outdoor festivals

which happen throughout the year in one of Tokyo`s major parks.

They are usually put on by the according embassy

I think The Spain fest is a reletivly new addition.

In any case the food was, okay-it was that or wait half an hour in line.

The wine was great.

But what really got my attention was, the entertainment.

These guys were GOOD-obviously they auditioned with the embassy.

The dancers were intense and the guitar-well as a bandmate once said, there`s more than one way to play fast. The guy`s right hand technique was blindingly fast-Pete Townsend with cybernetic enhancement.

During the few years I was taking formal lessons, my guitar teacher was also very much into this music. I think he had it in mind for us to do a recital together but, between playing out and my own songs I was too into electric.

Still, HUGE respect for Spanish guitar.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skip,

Love Flamenco guitar!

When I was 14, my first guitar teacher taught me the rudiments of Flamenco technique. He then took me through a book of solos. Even after all these years (that was in 1964) I still remember the name of the book. It was "Flamenco Without Tears".

About 7 years ago I taught a student who was interested in Flamenco. I did some research and found a very good book called "You Can Teach Yourself Flamenco Guitar". It comes with a CD and is an excellent instruction book. It teaches right hand technique and also contains very nice transcriptions of several solos. It is a great book for anyone interested in learning Flamenco. Highly recommended.

If you play cool, you are cool.

I love the Spanish/Mexican, what I call the Latin Vibe, of amplified acoustic nylon guitars with a touch of reverb. My only problem is when I plug in my nylon acoustics in the PA, everything I play comes out in that Latin Vibe! I have to jokingly refer to myself as Lorenzo instead of Larryz LOL!

I love the rhythmic strumming of Falmenco and the dancing that goes with it to include the costumes.

I'm going to get my nylon acoustic out of the closet again thanks to you guys and get back into it! I'm more involved with the melody lines than I am with the strumming though... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Fred C that sounds like a good reommendation-my feeling is that, the right hand technique in this style is about 70% just playing your butt off. I mean to develop the speed.

Larryz unfortunately my nylon string guitar is still in the U.S.-I don`t have a plan to bring it over here for now. Not unless I donate one of my steel string types-with the tiny living spaces here I could end up with a skull fracture if a case falls over.

I rarely if ever use a pick with nylon strings. My teacher got me into fingerpicking, from which I gravitated toward Samba-type rhythms. I used to love artists like Flora Purim , Astrud Gilberto, Tania Maria-I could listen to that music all day. The nexus of jazz fusion and samba blew me away. Lee Ritenour was a big part of making that happen.

I have a friend who studied classical guitar. He's a jazz player now, but keeps his hand(no pun intent) in classical, and for a time, veered into Flamenco. Said it was pretty challenging.

Some of you may(or may not) recall that around the early '80's, JOHN McLAUGHLIN started adding Spanish elements into his music("Belo Horizonte"). It's hard (or impossible) to say you love guitar music, but hate Spanish guitar.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I hear that.

But looking from the other direction, the names I mentioned apart from Lee Ritenour, are not about guitar. Tanya Maria is a pianist and singer. Astrud Gilberto of course, was the singer on Stan Getz` immortal version of `Girl From Ipanema`. It was really the sophistication of the elements-rhythm, melody and harmony-that caught my ear. A bit further down the road I discovered the immensity of A.C. Jobim, Joao Gilberto, Villa-Lobos-incredibleness.

But what first grabbed me was mostly piano based.

Here is a song that spun my head around-a version of the classic `Maracatu Atomico` ( think the translation is `Atomic Rooster`), featuring some tasty playing by Mr. Ritenour at the end:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMS-k1Znk2A

Actually, there is a band from Brazil that I heard and recorded years ago on NPR`s `Jazz from Holland` series. They were amazing. But I have never been able to find out anything about them. They were called something like `BaCAN`. I am probably spelling it wrong. But the emphasis is on the second syllable. Brazillian jazz fusion at its very best.

When I first started playing guitar I saw this Flamenco guy, Carlos Montoya play on TV. He was awesome to say the least. That guy could play no doubt about it.

DBM,

Check out a guy named Sabicas. Hell of a Flamenco player.

@ Skip, hopefully one day you'll have room for your nylons LOL! I use a pick and 3 fingers hybrid style on everything I play from acoustics, nylon acoustics, Dobro and electrics. I can use my finger pads and/or the pick at will. My nylons are not true classical guitars with the wide fretboards. They are made by Taylor and the fretboards are just a tad wider than a standard acoustic. Makes it nice for finger picking while keeping it narrow so us non-classically trained guys can enjoy the sound of a nylon guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSMS-mvqvmk <---I love nylon acoustic jazz guitar too...kind of like this guys stuff! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@ Skip, hopefully one day you'll have room for your nylons LOL! I use a pick and 3 fingers hybrid style on everything I play from acoustics, nylon acoustics, Dobro and electrics. I can use my finger pads and/or the pick at will. My nylons are not true classical guitars with the wide fretboards. They are made by Taylor and the fretboards are just a tad wider than a standard acoustic. Makes it nice for finger picking while keeping it narrow so us non-classically trained guys can enjoy the sound of a nylon guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSMS-mvqvmk <---I love nylon acoustic jazz guitar too...kind of like this guys stuff! :cool:

Larryz

Well that`s another problem-my sock drawer is really full too... :D

For some unknown reason I don't want a nylon string guitar. I guess I may be hung up on archtops.

I liked the solo that Bro. Larry posted. Although I liked the parts where he focused on melodic content rather than speed. Also,I prefer "latin" guitar played finger style. Just personal preference.

Well the cost of a good one makes the middle ground an unwise place.

You have to have GAS going on like, physical cramps.

I got around that equation by getting mine in The Philippines, there`s an area near Cebu with a bunch of small guitar factories. Handmade, very cheap. The only catch is, most are not really up to climate surprises. If you`re going to take one home you have to baby it.

I have pretty long fingers so I like the traditonal wide fretboard.

If you like Spanish based music that doesn't neccesarily have to be guitar heavy, you'll probably like the Buena Vista Social Club.

Their histories are as fascinating as their music.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

<---this guy might be a little more to your liking Brother Fred...he demonstrates better than I ever could the picking technique using a thumb pick and fingers much like the style I like using a regular pick. Some nice chord work going on too...a little Latin vibe at the beginning and at the end...and for Skip, he uses the wider fret board...I like the Nylon acoustic sound for jazzy stuff as well as the Latin, et al. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Archived