Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reverb pedal - Boss RV-5 vs Hardwire RV-7

CEB

This pedal will be for pedal steel. I currently play a MSA Classic D10 8+5 through a 1965 Twin I had rebuilt last year. The Twin's verb is good but I want more lush verb options. I was just going to get a used Boss RV-5 but I just read the Hardwire RV-7 uses Lexicon verbs and I always like Lexicon's rack digital reverbs.

Is anyone familiar with both these pedals or have any advice or opinions?

Thanks

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to improve on a Fender tube amp with spring reverb IMHO. But, I did use a Boss Reverb pedal and/or an MXR Delay in front of a Twin and/or HR DeVille to kick in and out more reverb vibe for some surf tunes...I think the tweed Boss reverb pedals that copy the Fender reverb tube amp sound, can make a nice difference on SS amps...:cool:
Take care, Larryz

We used to sell both the Boss and Digitech lines, but the Digitech Hardwire series was never as popular as Boss?

At any rate, both Digitech and Lexicon are Harman companies, so yes, there is some crossover between product lines. Some of Digitech's MFX also had Lexicon 'Verbs built-in. I'd do an A/B comparison, if possible. FWIW, the Digitech has a slightly larger footprint, if that's an issue on your pedalboard.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Rod at the Tele forum has both and says the Hardwire sounds more natural and is pretty sure I would prefer it. The pedals will sit to my right on top my road trunk. I'm pretty much a minimalist. I will use a delay for dotted 1/8 tricks and possible slap back. I thought some plate verb might be nice. All my modulation comes from the bar.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived