Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: RIP Florence Henderson

whitefang

Actress Florence Henderson, "Carol Brady" of the venerable TV show "The Brady Bunch" died Thanksgiving day at age 82 from heart failure.

Say what you want about the show, she at least was pleasant to see on it. One TV critic at the time claimed she had..."The most beautiful eyes on television." I don't disagree.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A whole generation of us latchkey kids who would get home from school at 3:30 and our working parents wouldnt hit the front door until 6 were basically raised by afternoon television. I feel like a family friend has died when one of these 70s tv icons passes.

FunMachine.

That`s a hard one. `The Brady Bunch` was a silly show I wanted to watch every time it was on. In retrospect I think the casting was really good-in fact aside from Eve Plumb`s music ventures, that was a career best for all the actors.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The unheralded value of The Brady Bunch:

In early 1980s Austin Tx I heard a tape of a nascent rap crew that did a track starting...

"This is a story

abt 2 rappers..."

...the rest escapes memory but I think the point's made...

Brady's was a lame show, even worse than the Monkees

BUT they left a trail of bodies & Bradies in they're [yeah, "they're" ! :bang: ] wake that haunts us til this day.

Then , while he's denying it now, there's a long history of Barry Williams claiming ... :facepalm:

All in all, though, Partridge Fambly In A Pear Tree was better ..........

d=halfnote

Either d's joking or he really IS confusing Florence Henderson with Florence Ballard!

In retrospect ERIC, you could say we considered "The Brady Bunch" as sort of the "Gilligan's Island" of TV family sitcoms.

Whitefang

In retrospect ERIC,

ld say we considered "The Brady Bunch" as sort of the "Gilligan's Island" of TV family sitcoms.

Whitefang

No coincidence that both were sherwood schwartz productions. If you didnt like one you arent going to like the other. BTW the episode about johnny bravo and the the jacket was the most insightful inside look at the music business that ive ever seen in any sitcom. Maybe any tv show period.

FunMachine.

Also in retrospect, it WAS the only show at the time, that dealt with blended families in a more positive way. Sure, a lot of the stories and their actions in them seemed drenched in schmaltz, but they left out all the angst laden "acting out" that other presentations at the time(like "After School" specials) gave those kind of stories.

Whitefang

Well as for The Monkees, there were some kool music segments

and actual hit songs-I liked some of the music on `The Banana Splits`, but you would never hear it on a radio.

Then there`s the Monkeemobile:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-PONTIAC-GTO-MONKEEMOBILE-61181

Like this...

The unheralded value of The Brady Bunch:

In early 1980s Austin Tx I heard a tape of a nascent rap crew that did a track starting...

"This is a story

abt 2 rappers..."

...the rest escapes memory but I think the point's made...

Brady's was a lame show, even worse than the Monkees

BUT they left a trail of bodies & Bradies in they're [yeah, "they're" ! :bang: ] wake that haunts us til this day.

Then , while he's denying it now, there's a long history of Barry Williams claiming ... :facepalm:

All in all, though, Partridge Fambly In A Pear Tree was better ..........

Like that other Schwartz program, "The Brady Bunch" also had one of those horny guy debates. You know,.....

"Jan or Marcia?"....like they did with "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

Whitefang

Either d's joking or he really IS confusing Florence Henderson with Florence Ballard!

I don't think anyone could make that mistake...but maybe...

What I was doon was contrasting a musical Flo w/ a non-musical Flo.

Also in retrospect, it WAS the only show at the time, that dealt with blended families in a more positive way.

Never saw Diff Strokes, eh ?

d=halfnote

Archived