Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another year, another beer ...

EddiePlaysBass

Some traditions are nice to keep - see here last year's thread. Hopefully participation is up this year :thu:

2016 in a nutshell:

- no weight loss

- no change of employer (got promoted instead)

- joined two bands

- partook in 1 bass camp and no jams

- bought a concert ukulele

- did not race nor ran as much as I wanted

Resolutions for 2017 ...

- continue getting life on track (not quite there yet)

- play more bass

- play more ukulele

- either get those two bands on track or dump em both

- try the weight loss thing again

Being in bands again and focusing on music is a big improvement over 2015, so in that sense 2016 was a good year. I realized how much it means to me to just work on making music, whether by myself or in a band.

There's some changes I really need to make on a personal(ity) level in 2017, and unfortunately these bands are part of the necessary changes. Either things will improve or they will look for a new bass player. I find that the stress that they cause sometimes bleeds into my personal life and I don't want that. Nor do I want stress over what is supposed to be a pastime/hobby.

As for the weight loss, 2015 showed me that it IS possible. I won't make excuses but the fact is that in 2016 I wanted to focus on other issues. And I did. Those are now mostly past me so I think I can make it for 2017.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2016- it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I did start playing bass again at my church. Over the last month, I've rediscovered the joy of my Schechter Model T 5 string. A smooth, fast, narrow neck; fat sounding when it needs to be, with just enough snap and bite when you want it.

I spent most of the year play gigs as lead guitar in the band Glorify. Lots of gigs out of state, requiring lots of travel time. We recorded a cd. I personally did not like working with the producer, and when I heard the final product, I was filled with utter loathing. Any suggestions I had were met with resistance. Tracks I know I recorded were not used. It pretty much sucks. But the singer is happy, so what else matters, right? In September, I left that band. While I miss the live playing, I don't miss the stress and excessive mileage.

I didn't buy any guitars, basses, or amps; just a few pedals (EH Memory Boy, Visual Sound H2O, Keeley Fuzz Head).

I'm still gainfully employed, though I really need to get a new job closer to home (again with the commute) that has a chance for some upward mobility. Once I do that, I hope to get back to playing out, preferably on bass but will play guitar in the right situation. I need to spend more time learning the ins and outs of the digital recorder I bought 2 years ago, so I can make better demos and finish writing some songs I've had in various formats over the last few years.

Being as I was gigging, I didn't get out to too many concerts this year, but I did manage to see District 97, Peter Gabriel & Sting, and 2 stops of Marillion's US tour just the other week. Enjoyed them all.

Other than that, I'm enjoying more time with my wife (just celebrated our 20th anniversary), and even with the kids when they'll put up with me.

2017: Here's to health, here's to wealth, may you never doubt yourself. (Triumph, Ordinary Man)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I don't do resolutions based on a date but.....

Let me steal from EddiePlaysBass

2016 in a nutshell:

- no weight loss

- no change of employer (got promoted instead)

- joined two bands I am playing more than 2015

- bought a concert ukulele Oh I got stuff!

- did not race nor ran as much as I wanted Don't know if I should have crossed that out. I may have wanted to do that once but didn't... nah, didn't even think of it.

Resolutions for 2017 ...

- continue getting life on track (not quite there yet)

- play more bass

- play more ukulele bass and a bit of guitar

- either get those two bands on track or dump em both Learn or write some new songs.

- try the weight loss thing again.

A bunch of new fairly cheap gear came to me this year (I'm worth it). I also got something (legally) of the Lowdown variety, that I always wanted and never would have got for myself. It really blew me away. Since there are no pictures to offer as proof, nothing exists. Maybe I'll post pics somewhere and report back. We need to kick stuff up around here and I'm just the man to do ....z..zzzzzzzzz.......

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Hmmmm...

-'Early Retirement' from my job of 35 years (not forced, but...'recommended'). Boo, hiss.

-Hired by contractor 1 week later to do exactly the same job at exactly the same desk for substantially more money. Yay me.

-Youngest daughter and husband expecting their first in March '17, so 2nd grandbaby for us. yay us!

-Still playing with the 'tones. Had our 30 year anniversary as house-band at a tavern in northern NJ. No cover, HUGE crowd, line to get in, etc. Yay us!

-Doing a fair number of side-gigs as one-offs. Those are always fun and a bit nerve-racking, as is always the case when stepping out of one's comfort zone. No major screw-ups yet, so yay me!

-Discovered a bunch of old gear that I had put away years ago (pedals and the like) and am getting into rediscovering their uses. Hey, they're already paid for, so yay me!

-Still happily married after 37 years. Yay me!!

-Still want to drop some poundage but I ain't making myself crazy over it. As Popeye sez, "I yam what I yam".

-Have once again made it thru an entire year without ever meeting Lug. Yay me!

2017? Rinse, repeat.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

Play. Just play.

Successful in my quest to drink more champagne.

Progressed well with the solo thing; am very pleased with it. But it's time for me to step it up a notch and front a band. As front, I'd be the lead voice. But should I play bass or guitar in the effort? Advantages and disadvantages to either. So I need to find another cat who can double.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

@ Paul, why not do either full-time? Unless your proficiency on one instrument far outweighs the other, of course.

I am considering getting a harp and learning some blues licks on it, just for giggles. But between bass, electric upright bass and ukulele I am already spread thinly. Still, a non-string instrument would be interesting :)

@ Paul, why not do either full-time? Unless your proficiency on one instrument far outweighs the other, of course.

Advantages and disadvantages to all three scenarios. If I play bass, I'll rip it up but at the expense of the voice....and the voice is what sells the band. If I play guitar, voice performance is better and I like how I comp on rhythm guitar, but my soloing on guitar is not at all good enough (and I may not be satisfied with another cat playing bass.) If we swap it up, then I've got to find a player who can double on bass who kicks my ass on solos. That's easier said than done, and a pain in the ass when on stage. I want to keep it small; trio plus my spouse on vocals and harmonies...so having a quartet plus one is too much overhead.

Giving it more thought, the best probable direction is with me playing bass and just get better at singing while playing bass. With proper homework, I'll know which tunes will work and which ones won't. So...back to work.

Resolution? What's that?

Still retired, blues band still dead, and 2016 went by quick. Sitting in with a duo last winter paid off, got Sundays with them as a trio for the May-Oct season. And it was on upright and ABG (with acoustic guitarist and violinist), which, while not a resolution, was an intent. Purely improvisation, I had great fun, refreshed my URB chops, and got great feedback.

Also turned 66, a circumstance which I still cannot wrap my head around. I feel 40's, but much better, with twenty more years of experience and perspective, and a helluvalot more relaxed. But the outside package has aged, and I have limited familiarity with the last 20+ years of popular music.

2017- hoping but have doubts about the viability of the new rock/blues that has been casually playing and developing, but I really need to play me some punchy and funky electric. Also hoping the acoustic trio happens again next season, and have to force myself to reach out to find other acoustic opportunities in the area. Since we do travel, it's hard to find an ongoing band that will suffer my inconvenient absences.

Best wishes to all for wonderful 2017 musical circumstances.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

- no weight loss

- no change of employer

- joined another band; I'm up to four or five.

- bought a concert ukulele a friend gave me a mandolin

- did not race nor ran as much as I wantedSwam in three swim meets and won a few ribbons.

Resolutions for 2017 ...

- continue getting life on track doing fine

- play more bass the same amount

- play more ukulele guitar and clarinet

- see if the band I joined lasts

- try the weight loss thing again stay the same weight

- sell more equipment than I buy

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and those of you in other countries had whatever your favorite holiday may be.

Another year (almost) gone...

Lost 45 pounds, down to a decent fighting weight. Clothes fit better, and I am closer to my goal of looking as good as I feel.

I am definitely feeling my back condition, and again wishing for an easy option for self medication.

Playing bass as much as possible, utilizing as much right hand variance as possible. Really trying to get a handle on double thumbing.

Also trying to get better at recording/mixing/mastering, as well as actually playing the guitar.

Also, I'd like to get a haircut.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Recorded an album and started palying out live for the first time in forever, lost over 50 pounds, paid off last car payment, got a new German Shepherd, got a Kala Ubass, youngest son and oldest daughter graduating from UofH this semester, 2 Kids getting married to significant others we actually love.

2017 goals....try to be even 1/2 as good as 2016. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Wow. 45 lbs. 50 lbs. As someone in the health care field, I say that's totally awesome. You'll live longer, and I bet you feel better also. Wow. Good on'ya. Stunningly great. Not an easy thing to accomplish.

Wow. 45 lbs. 50 lbs. As someone in the health care field, I say that's totally awesome. You'll live longer, and I bet you feel better also. Wow. Good on'ya. Stunningly great. Not an easy thing to accomplish.

My secret weapon is Turkey meatballs....tastes so bad you just can't over eat! :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

The husband of a good friend of mine unexpectedly died last week. He was a huge metal fan, and his friends are going to host a party (with live music) in his honour. I wanted to put together a one-off project to do 5 songs, but it turns out I am already occupied on the date they have set.

Ironically, the singer I reached out to was totally into the idea of doing a punk/metal covers act and so we are going to get together in 2017 to discuss making this happen. The idea is lots of homework, very few rehearsals and enough but not too many gigs.

Fingers crossed! This is going on my resolutions list :)

• 5 months later...

I'm making progress on the New Years Resolution. I played a couple gigs on bass this weekend, singing lead on about half the tunes for a band that needed coverage for a couple gigs they booked. Rocked it. So that's fun. The guitar player who also subbed has great chops and fun to be with, and expressed interest in starting something up. Down side is that he winters in Costa Rica, which puts the whole thing on hold for 3-4 months a year.

But....things have progressed so I can sing and play bass. So....Sting should watch his back.

I managed to gain 5 kilo's :( But I can run longer than ever (10K uninterrupted), am stronger than ever before and work out on average 3x per week. I am trying to focus less on this particular scale ...

On the music-front, both bands I mentioned in my OP have disbanded, and I am now in a blues band again. It's all very much in the embryonic stage right now so we will see where it goes. Another band does not seem to get off the ground so it will probably end before it starts.

I am playing more bass, though. Talked my teacher into hosting a band camp around "music theory in practice" and he loved the idea - especially since he got a good amount of people to subscribe. More money for him! And knowing him there will be follow-up bass camps for this theme. But he's a great teacher and the setting works for me, so I am happy to have talked him into this :)

Gee, sorry I missed this since every 1 gotta be waitin' for BTW / WTF from me....

The 1st thing I wonder is How ya ever get "Life on track" ?

It's a laudable goal but, trust me & others), hold onto yer hat)

I'm a skip things here to ask, what y'wanna do/be as a muso ?

No fear here but send me a PM if y'want

d=halfnote

• 1 month later...

Bit late to this Party but hey!!

I have changed Jobs again - the only steady thing I do is play Bass!! I still haven't taken the Electric Upright out of its case, that's almost 3 years and as I type this I realise there is a shame in this.

The one of gig I played well we did it again at the start of this year, it was great.

I am still spinning cycling 3 times a week - great habit. My Family are all doing great, getting big which means I'm getting older.

Currently working on getting our Studio space geared up for recording. Gear wise I just bought a GK Plex which works great for an all in one gigging solution, we are using In Ears in most situations so there is no need for an amp.

Should have some new music out soon! Here is a video from the DRC Allstars show, great craic!!

• 3 weeks later...

I love The Answer! Saw them open for AC/DC a good few years back.

Played my electric upright for the first time since November last year, so I kind of know what you mean, Seamy ... Spent 30 minutes playing major and minor arpeggio exercises and I was exhausted :grin:

Archived