Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland- are they likely to upgrade the FA08?

Rikismyname

I still use my Nord stage 2 and FA06 live and am very happy after many gigs with the pair.

Just started sorting everything out so I don't have to use the FA06 keybed as I keep messing up from being used to the weighted full size keys of my Nord and then a solo on the slimmer keys of the Roland sometimes is a challenge.... so anyway I've started setting it all up so I'm not buried y 2 tiers and having both boards on their own stands and barely touch the Roland but use lots of its sounds, so I'm basically using it as a module at the moment.

Now The for ease of setupi should get the FA08 then but I cannot play that keybed either.

I need an upgrade and have a Roland with a much better weighted action full of integra or FA sounds so I can sell my Nord and FA06.

But anytime I look Roland just seem to be bringing out more cheap synth type boards.

I'm seriously considering eating a Kurzweil again, maybe the Forte , Kong Kronos seems to be a lot more than I need and I'm not paying £100s to download more brass etc.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure they will come out with another workstation at some point.. but the real question (for you) is: Will you like whatever keyboard action they put on there?

If it's the Integra soundset you are after why not just get the module and use whatever keyboard you like to control it?

Be sure you're not losing anything. Many consider the Nord pianos, EPs and organs highly superior to Roland.

Have you checked out the RD-800? Considering that you only control Roland sounds from the NS2, it seems that you're not using the extensive 16-part layering and zoning features of the FA. From your description I'm fairly sure that you could do the whole gig with the RD-800. And it has a better keybed than the FA-08.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Be sure you're not losing anything. Many consider the Nord pianos, EPs and organs highly superior to Roland.

Maybe many do. But not all. For my part I like the FA06 EPs better than most of Nord's. In particular the EPs of the former SRX EP board sound great. Organs are on par more or less if played through a Vent. Regarding APs Nord is offering a greater variety of which some sound great in studio use. But on stage I still prefer Roland's APs. In my view the FA08 still is a steal for what it offers. Strangely enough many FA06/08 owners don't seem to know about the fact that they can download all the former SRX boards into their instruments.

And no, I don't have a FA08. Instead I am using a RD64 (same keybed like FA08. I like it a lot) and a FA06. I sold my NS Stage 2 a couple of years ago and I never looked back. The RD64/FA06 combo beats far more expensive stuff like NS Stage or Kronos in sound, versatility and cost. Other may have a different opinion of course. JMTC

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I have an FA08 and just got an Electro 5d, and I've reprogrammed all my pianos and EPs to have the FA08 trigger the Nord for these sounds because I like the Nords better. The FA pianos and EPs are really good though.

For the OP- if you don't like the action of the FA08 but want the sounds, look at the Integra rack. You could trigger that with your NS.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I agree with Dan... if you want the best Roland sounds and you only want to travel with a single board, connect an Integra to the board of your choice. You'll get a better sound set and your choice of actions, so many of which are better than the FA actions.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No I do make use of lots of layers and splits on the Roland, but controls via the external section on my Nord, I'll then have another split with a Nord piano or something

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Integra 7 looks ideal but I read you can only have 64 saved setups on it opposed to the 100 plus I use on the FA06

I think Nord pianos are better, but live with a band they will do for me.

Yeah I have 2 srx exp packs in there a brass one and a strings one.

I play some rock n roll piano to and I couldn't do that on the fa08 action, it felt very sluggish when I tried one.

I'd be happy with a Roland FA08 with upgraded keybed really or a rack FA

Integra 7 looks ideal but I read you can only have 64 saved setups on it opposed to the 100 plus I use on the FA06

While you can only have 64 Studio Sets loaded into the Integra at one time, I think you can easily swap out one set of 64 for another set of 64 from a USB stick. So unless you need more than 64 Studio Sets for a single set, you can probably work around that issue.

Also, remember, a single Studio Set itself contains 16 sounds, and you can often mix and match those 16 sounds numerous ways from your controller. For example, using the EXT funtion of your Nord, calling up different Nord patches can call up different combinations of sounds from within a single Studio Set.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How often do you get to play more than 40/50 tunes a night? And are the complexities of these tunes' patch needs as extensive as a Broadway pit?. Just as example, Billy Joel will usually do 25-28 songs a night at MSG and that includes a 5 or 6 song encore. So it's a good idea perhaps to define your needs before going over board on gear. YMMV

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived