Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band stagnation...leads to...

Dave Bryce

Is there a jam/open mic scene where you are? Last year my main band was going through a very quiet phase, and I started going to a friendly open mic near me. Since then, I've joined, been sacked from, and rejoined a band, turned down an offer to join another band, turned down two subbing opportunities.

It took a little while to get a reputation, but the regulars know me now as "that keyboard guy who knows all the jazz chords". (I don't, just the altered chord and the Basie Splank).

The nice thing about the jam scene is that it keeps your chops up and your options open while not actually, actually quitting the band. I'll bet almost all of us are Outkasters deep down:

musicians play that is what we do.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike I say that because we all go through times where we feel like packing it in. We may sell off gear to buy it back. We may say to ourselves" Screw it I am never gigging again" or things of that nature. Truth is if you are someone that can think of no other pleasure in music than playing live it will always stay with you...it's just how it is.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David....sounds like you're ready to start (and LEAD) a new band.

There is no cliche I need to drag up about bands=marriages, etc., we know the drill. But in my experience, lots of guys in bands feel like this, but very few will man up and do the things necessary to make it happen. You are a Tasmanian Devil....you're shaking shit up anyway just by existing, so with your natural contagious energy, not to mention your considerable sales expertise, I don't see ANY reason that you couldn't build a band with some of those very talented frustrated players who just keep their gigs cuz it's easier (for all the reasons you mentioned), and as such, you can dictate your own schedule, etc.

I can't imagine my life without it, I know there will come a time that I can't gig anymore if I live long enough. But I have found a renewed energy, and an excitement for gigging again, and it is not the $$$! But I don't play anything I don't want to play, and I'm playing with people who love what they do.

I wish you were right, brother T.

The biggest problem with the solution you propose is that no one I know wants to be booking gigs these days. I know I don't have the time - have you seen my sig? :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

IMO, a band eventually runs its course. The musos have to find another aspect to enjoy whether it's live performance with a new band, music production or recording, etc.

Already having several irons in the fire, my suggestion would be to hang loose as mentioned and let the chips fall. The itch will let you know when to scratch it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Bands are like marriages... very few last longer than a few years.

Look at The Beatles... they had 8 years, then poof! If they could not keep it together with all the amazing talent and freedoms they had, then what can you expect?

Dana and I just saw a screening of "Eight Days a Week" at the Grammy Museum. (Highly recommended, by the way.). Anyway, it was obvious that the band had had it by 1968...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived