Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I learned something new...

02R96

The other night I came home from work mildly irritated with some things, so to unwind I fired up the Tiny Terror and plugged in my Seymour Duncan equipped Telecaster and started to unwind by playing "angry" :mad:

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about work and I noticed I was hitting the strings harder than I usually do. Well I kind of made up my own basic blues run which ended with a couple of hard down strokes (I forget the chord I was playing). I was really hitting it hard; just thrashing the strings when it happened...

A whole new tone opened up that I never heard from that guitar. I was so amazed I kept playing that simple riff just to thrash the strings to hear the new sound I discovered. How do I describe it...

It had balls man; it just hit like a good gut punch, but it was still clean enough to hear the harmonics. The only pedals I was running through was my Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian Big Muff clone, a delay and reverb. The Seymour Duncan pickups are the Medium Output Hot Tele Set.

Yeah, I forgot about work after that LOL! Best therapy a guitar player could ever have! :rawk:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guitarist in my stepdad's band is an older black guy... it was a jazz, R&B, soul and blues band with horns, tuxedos, monogrammed music stands... we played an upbeat version of "Stormy Monday" where he gets a long solo and he digs in and rips it. A guy came up and said "Man... I play but I can't sound like that... tell me the secret." His answer was "go pick cotton for a week."

Gotta love those moments! :cool:

Experiment further with just where and how you strike the strings; try hard-hitting up-strokes, as well. There is a myriad of colors to be found just in your picking-hand "touch".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

No matter HOW you play it, hit the strings HARD, or just simply STRUM the strings, playing your guitar is ALWAYS "good therapy". :)

Whitefang

My wife will complain sometimes when she asks "what did you make playing last night?" if I only say $30-60... "Is that worth the trouble of playing in that band?" I tell her "Well, I would have to pay a therapist or psychiatrist how much? I figure getting paid anything is still putting me ahead."

No matter HOW you play it, hit the strings HARD, or just simply STRUM the strings, playing your guitar is ALWAYS "good therapy". :)

Whitefang

My wife will complain sometimes when she asks "what did you make playing last night?" if I only say $30-60... "Is that worth the trouble of playing in that band?" I tell her "Well, I would have to pay a therapist or psychiatrist how much? I figure getting paid anything is still putting me ahead."

TROOF. :cool::2thu:

The guitarist in my stepdad's band is an older black guy... it was a jazz, R&B, soul and blues band with horns, tuxedos, monogrammed music stands... we played an upbeat version of "Stormy Monday" where he gets a long solo and he digs in and rips it. A guy came up and said "Man... I play but I can't sound like that... tell me the secret." His answer was "go pick cotton for a week."

I don't think it had anything to do with how hard he hit the strings, I was a bricklayer by trade so I have paid my dues for the Stormy Monday Blues. I earned that song by doing hard work every day and hating every minute of it. However I changed some of the lyrics in the third verse to reflect my hatred of masonry, and eliminated the 4th. I play the tune every third practice day.

They call it stormy Monday

But Tuesday's just as bad

They call it stormy Monday

But Tuesday's just as bad

Lord, and Wednesday's worse

And Thursday's all so bad

The eagle flies on Friday

Saturday I go out to play

The eagle flies on Friday

Saturday I go out to play

Sunday I go to church, yeah

Gonna kneel down and pray

Lord have mercy

Lord have mercy on me

Lord have mercy

Lord have mercy on me

Though I'm tryin' and tryin' to find my baby

Won't somebody please send 'er home

Oh ho

Lord have mercy

Lord have mercy on me

Yeah, I'm proud, Lord have mercy

Lord have mercy on me

Though I'm tryin', tryin' to find my baby

Won't send 'er home, yeah, oh baby

???

The eagle "flies"? That's not how my DAD always put it. I guess yours is the "family friendly" version. :D

But it's like I've long said. The "blues" has nothing to do with being poor. You could be neck deep in money and STILL have "hard times". For some people, the ONLY asset they have is the ability to always see the "silver lining". ;) But, they do see it, and live blissfully.

Then there's those guys like my Dad used to describe...."You could give him a million dollar coin, and he'd still bitch because it wasn't SHINY." :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I like being able to escape the real world when I get the chance and just sit and play my guitar for an hour. I will just start playing and see what comes popping up out of my fingers and my subconscious thoughts...and then I zero in on the notes that peak my interest and find those new sounds which I probably should have learned decades ago LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

A long time ago I played with a very light touch.

My position was, a guitar was a guitar, and percussion was percussion.

One night our keyboard player and I got into a discussion and he said, that pickups need a certain amount of attack to fully react to the strings. I said and still say, that that makes intricate playing harder but he has a point. There are several variables at play of course but, being able to do that-without necessarily being pissed off :D is a good thing.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Quite often, if I'm playing while my wife is watching TV in the room and wants to pay attention to it, I'll use a soft touch. Right now, ENDURANCE is my goal, not VOLUME. So, my method of attack isn't important.

@Larry---

That's how I'm doing now. Just playing randomly and seeing what comes about. I've done that often over time. And it's how I've come up with some of the SONGS I've "written" over the years. ;)

Whitefang

...well there are other ways to adjust volume.

I think the point that 02R96 and our keyboard player (who does play other instruments, so he is not intruding by talking guitar stuff)was making is that, certain levels of attack affect tone, not just volume. There are some sounds that just ain't gonna happen with a light touch. On the other hand there are some riffs that, if someone is going caveman on the strings..well good luck haha.

A long time ago I played with a very light touch.

My position was, a guitar was a guitar, and percussion was percussion.

One night our keyboard player and I got into a discussion and he said, that pickups need a certain amount of attack to fully react to the strings. I said and still say, that that makes intricate playing harder but he has a point. There are several variables at play of course but, being able to do that-without necessarily being pissed off :D is a good thing.

I've found that using a wide variety of dynamics is key. I have my guitars, amps, pedals, etc. set up so that I can play with a very light touch (and note that I never use a pick at all), and/or my guitar's volume-control rolled-back, and I can also play harder and turn it up. It's literally ALL GOOD. :cool:

@ Skip, For the most part, I don't care for percussion banging on an acoustic box unless it's someone like Tommy Emmanuel LOL! However, I do get into some percussion with my picking attack when I need a little Cajun, Country, Blue Grass and/or some jazzy bluesy rhythm guitar injected into my strumming techniques. I can also bring out the bass or the treble and increase or lower the mids. I use strumming, pick attack, palm muting, etc., techniques and dynamics and adjust the volume levels without turning knobs...I lesson the pick attack on the bass strings and go to just fingers for more soft jazzy chords...percussion and dynamics play an important part in the way I play and sometimes I will use my palm hitting the strings to keep a rhythm thing going...but sparingly.

@ Fang, +1 on random playing for coming up with new ideas based upon what is coming out naturally. I try to include some random playing as a warm up before I do any serious practicing as well...

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Recently I like setting the pick aside altogether for some rhythms. I've been a fan of Brazilian guitarists for years, that is the basis of my approach. Classical, ragtime-maybe next incarnation :D but for a warmer full chordal sound, nothing beats the ol' digits.

That said, I still don't venture to the other end of the scale so to speak, that often. I have one instrumental, that I often play as an opening tune, which has a little flamenco like flourish in the beginning. That has to be played with some force to sound right. Otherwise I'm not much of a headstock banger.

@Skip:

+1. My 2nd Jazz teacher said, "When you play single note lines use a flat pick. Whem you play chords, play with your fingers." this is a wise approach for playing Chord Melody because you can select specific notes out of the chord and play some tasty "partials".

I only play one solo with a pick. That's Duke Ellington's I Got It Bad. I end the tune with a three octave Maj7 arpeggio and need the speed of the pick to execute the arp properly.

If you play cool, you are cool.

???

The eagle "flies"? That's not how my DAD always put it. I guess yours is the "family friendly" version. :D

But it's like I've long said. The "blues" has nothing to do with being poor. You could be neck deep in money and STILL have "hard times". For some people, the ONLY asset they have is the ability to always see the "silver lining". ;) But, they do see it, and live blissfully.

Then there's those guys like my Dad used to describe...."You could give him a million dollar coin, and he'd still bitch because it wasn't SHINY." :D

Whitefang

The most miserable people I've ever known were very wealthy. The only teens I knew in high school who committed suicide were the spoiled kids of millionaires. The only drug addicts and drunks I've known who really let it get so bad that they lost everything, including their lives, were wealthy people. I've always figured it was because everybody else has hope that things can get better if only they have a windfall by some chance... and people with as much as anybody can hope to have don't have that hope.

What factors make for human happiness has been debated for thousands of years.

I will say that playing music has brought me a lot of enjoyment over the years, and yes, it makes me feel better to bang on the guitar after a hard day. Better than banging on my WIFE, because she's MEANER than me, LOL.

I'm a picker, not a fighter.

:D:D

Had an Emily Litella moment here....

You'd rather bang your guitar than your WIFE? If you can fill that SOUND HOLE then I guess that's SAYING something, but as for the STRINGS..huh? Oh, he said bang ON? Well, that's DIFFERENT...NEVER MIND! :D

@P90: Remember the lesson at the end of "Miracle on 34th Street".

Whitefang

@Skip:

+1. My 2nd Jazz teacher said, "When you play single note lines use a flat pick. Whem you play chords, play with your fingers." this is a wise approach for playing Chord Melody because you can select specific notes out of the chord and play some tasty "partials".

I only play one solo with a pick. That's Duke Ellington's I Got It Bad. I end the tune with a three octave Maj7 arpeggio and need the speed of the pick to execute the arp properly.

Fred-

Yup indeed, it`s not only the warmth but the precision of fingers that I like.

Full chords are not always the way to go, especially in a band situation.

If you`re supporting another player it`s nice to outline the structure rather than filling all the spaces.

@Skip:

Fred-

Yup indeed, it`s not only the warmth but the precision of fingers that I like.

Full chords are not always the way to go, especially in a band situation.

If you`re supporting another player it`s nice to outline the structure rather than filling all the spaces.

@Skip. Agreed! Gotta' love those 4 note voicings. Sometimes, just a triad voicing gets it done.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Archived