Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend a Laptop , is there something i need know??

Ensenada Guide

Sorry if this is all news for most of you ,but since computer change a lot, i needed some updated info.

and for some reason you guys always hit the spot

thanx

No, I'm sorry EG and yes there was a lot of useful info from folks - glad it helped. Just didn't want to see this deteriorate into the...well...you know...:blah: .

As you were.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just didn't want to see this deteriorate into the...well...you know...:blah: .

Exactly!

So, which one will it be?

http://www.elizabethkooba.com/sites/gilligan/images/dawn1.jpg

*OR*

hqdefault.jpg

Ummmm.....HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :pop:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

thankyou very much for the responses it really gave me some updated info.

OS and hardware changes trhu the years , so i think this topic its not actually old news becuase of it.

I wanted to run 3 OS on it also ,with a foldable laptop so any moment i could read some sheet music on it and do some other cool stuff with it

So hackingtosh on a lenovo looked like a the closes i would get

but at the same time i dont see something with better display

for the eyes than a MBP.

I know something about computers but if hackingtosh would be that much trouble , i dont want to stop making music again and again becuase i have to do nerd stuff.

Yes it looks like what i want at the moment does not exist.

i will just have to wait to see the new macs and make a comparison

the reason for mac would be display,looks like the last a long time and have good resell value and MAINSTAGE!! and less virus

www.ensenadatourguide.com https://www.facebook.com/ldstourguide

Will give tours for Keyboards :)

Even though my primary music computer is a Mac in the studio, I have a nice custom ADK laptop showing up early next week.

Went non-Mac for the laptop for a few reasons - mainly a piece of non-music work related software I needed to be able to use on occasion and I can't afford two laptops just for that.

I feel like I'm getting a good deal price wise, quad core i7, 1.5T of storage with room for more, and it's up-gradable and field reparable ... and I'm paying a good deal less than a MBP with similar specs.

Plus, the nice folks at ADK also asked me what software I was running, got permission to access my licenses, and they've installed and tested everything. All I've got to do is plus in my keyboards and go when it shows up.

Once I've had some time with it, I'll report back how I'm getting along with it.

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

I'm a apple guy(macpro,iphone,ipad,mac mini 2012,old macbook....etc etc)

I wanted to buy some month ago a new laptop.

So i looked about the best macbook pro i can have.

Well it was 3400 euros with 16gig ram and no hardware evolution.(and without the 3 years apple care warranty at near 400!)

I though about that a lot,i though about all the serious people who makes good music with pc laptop.

And looked some powerful pc laptop caracteristics with double ssd,16gig ram,last skylake processor (more powerfull than the actual old macbook pro)..and we don't speak about graphics processor.

I find an asus (skylake 6700,16g,double hard drive with ssd) at 1600 euros.

Half the price for a more powerful and complete laptop than the best macbook.

Yes,i don't have mac os a like a lot(remember i'm not a pc guy,i have a mac pro octo and a mac mini quad too)

I've spent 3 days to install on this new pc laptop my config:

-komplete native and maschine studio,complete arturia,reason and ableton lie etc etc.

The joke with all my friends (apple semi pro or pro musicians like me before) was to wait for a caricatural "windows pc problem"

Delusion here:

I must admit i have NO problem with my config!

I've spent half the price for a pc laptop and no problem!

What i loose?

-Mac os,and aluminium case....and that's all!

What i won?

-The money i didn't spent for a company like apple who don't want to make a best macbook at a better price,with hardware components you can change by yourself!

-a more powerful laptop with 2 disk inside,with ram i can change myself (i will do that in 2017 to put 32 gig...yes 32 gig ram! at a good price)

Conclusion:

I don't want to say bad things about a good macbook,no souci.

But when you taste the pleasure to find a good and more powerful windows laptop who just pake the job succefully with no problems at half the price,you just understand how apple company don't care about their macbook pro so expensive with no upgradable evolution and incredible price for options(a real joke....)

I don't want to pay more now!

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

Conclusion:

I don't want to say bad things about a good macbook,no souci.

But when you taste the pleasure to find a good and more powerful windows laptop who just pake the job succefully with no problems at half the price,you just understand how apple company don't care about their macbook pro so expensive with no upgradable evolution and incredible price for options(a real joke....)

I don't want to pay more now!

Thx, great read !

I can agree only.

It´s annoying what Apple does w/ their customers but as long as they don´t care, their biz model works.

Apple products are lifestyle products and no doubt there were and still are some powerful ones in between.

But think about one of your to the mainboard soldered RAM sticks dies and you have to buy a complete new mobo for about (in germany) EUR 1.200,- !

Dunno if it´s really true, but someone (graphics designer, musician and boutique hi-fi shop owner using Apple only up to now) told me they now started soldering SSD/flash stuff too.

When they advertise flash storage write/read data thruput inside new Macbooks as fast as about 2Gb/sec., those cannot be SATA based anymore, must be M.2,- or other to the mobo soldered flash memory.

So, can be, the one telling me was right.

Windows notebooks ...

Many brands out there and most might be unusable for Audio-/MIDI work OUT OF THE BOX.

But it depends on the user-accessibility to the BIOS (there exist different ones depending on mobo brand) to make a lot of these working great for music.

When using Win7 Pro, just disable all the power saving features and turbo boost (just because it throttles) as well.

Depending on the software you use, you might also disable hyperthreading.

Be sure your audio interface gets it´s exclusive IRQ, that´s all for the most.

Avoid buying a Windows laptop w/ some Windows Home Edition installed,- use the PRO versions.

For music, Win7 Pro SP1 is still the best,- some got ASIO issues w/ Win 8.1-Win 10.

They are all the smae anyway and improvements are mostly related to graphics.

Some years ago, IBM/Lenovo business books were king of the hill w/ Intel Core2Duo processors, but w/ much faster Intel i5 and i7 processors they ran into cooling issues during longtime operation w/ high loads.

But that changed when using the docking station which left more air under the bottom.

Today, ASUS is the recommendation !

Last week I asked my friend who build my audio machines when he worked in a computer shop and he recommended ASUS notebooks to me.

He´s a computer hardware expert, serviced and customized laptops and desktops,- he´s gamer too.

Or when you have the budget and really want to spend the money,- custom designed audio laptops from ADK Pro Audio or DAX (Berlin/germany) are the way to go.

Often it only depends on which interface connections you need.

I myself, I´d need a PCIexpress-Card54 slot for my S|C XITE-1 which is much harder to find in today´s fast laptops.

When using a USB audio interface, it will be much easier finding a quality Windows laptop for music.

Once found, get a RME interface and never look back.

B.t.w., going w/ a refurbished IBM/Lenovo T- or W- model, fast Core2Duo (2.5 - 3GHz) inside and running WinXP SP3 (32Bit) w/ 4Gb of RAM is also enough when not using Gb large samplelibraries which need to be streamed from SSDs.

Such laptop is not slower than a 2012 Macbook Pro w/ 2.5GHz Intel Core2Duo and 3meg of L2 cache you pay 800 - 900 bucks for.

You get such Windows laptop for about 200 - 400,- EUR and buy 2 to have a spare.

A.C.

I am uncertain if the new MacBook Pro will include the latest Kaby Lake processors. I believe they won't. (Some other manufacturers' laptops are using them now.) Instead they'll use the previous generation, Skylake, chips.

The newest Dell XPS 13 costs $1,100. Its equipped with a 7th-gen Kaby Lake Core i5-7200U, 8GB of LPDDR/1866 in dual-channel mode; a 1920x1080, non-touch, IPS panel; and a 256GB Lite-On NVME M.2 SSD.

From Wikipedia... Kaby Lake features the same CPU core and performance per MHz as Skylake, so refer to the Skylake Wikipedia article for more information.

Features specific to Kaby Lake include:

Increased clock speeds across all CPUs models (up to 300 MHz)

Faster clock speed changes

Improved 14 nm manufacturing process

Improved graphics core

200 series chipset (Union Point) on socket 1151

Up to 16 PCI Express 3.0 lanes from the CPU, 24 PCI Express 3.0 lanes from PCH

Support for Intel Optane Technology

From PC World...

In the end, Kaby Lake is a decent step forward. Is it as exciting as reading about a 10nm-based CPU? No. But it does deliver a margin of improvement thats actually in line with the evolutionary steps that what weve seen from the last few generations of chips. Haswell to Broadwell gave us maybe 10 percent. Going from Broadwell to Skylake yielded similar results.

Does it mean dump your Skylake laptop and rush out to buy a Kaby Lake laptop? No, not at all. However, when youre looking at a 20 to 25 percent difference between Kaby Lake and Broadwell, then you start to wonder. As you get to Haswell, where it probably opens up to 30 to 35 percent, or Ivy Bridge and even Sandy Bridge, then yes, an upgrade would be a game-changer.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

As much as I enjoy my Apple products, I have to admit that Apple took a wrong turn with the new Mac Pro. The new towers are actually less powerful and less expandable than the old towers. I bought one of the last "cheese grater" Mac Pro with 12 cores of CPU power, and that power is no longer an option in the new line.

Earlier this year I bought my MacBook Pro. I kind of lament that there is no upgrade path (can't expand memory), but with SSD and everything soldered in it does have the benefit of being a very rugged machine that can withstand some serious bumps. Apple had started that profit model with the iPod - you had to be sure you were buying a product with more than enough memory you were going to need.

There's always thorns in every rose bush, and I have no intention of going back to Windows. I have run into software vendors who only have a beta OSX version of their product - when they reply that OSX development is not a high priority I reply back that a large number on OSX converts such as myself are refusing to go back to Windows.

Apple had started that profit model with the iPod - you had to be sure you were buying a product with more than enough memory you were going to need.

Yup. It sux. :taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived