Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend a Laptop , is there something i need know??

Ensenada Guide

Yes macbook pros are the best from what i seen

But doing hackingtosh looks like a better deal for that with the right one

Dell inspiron 15 7000 2 in 1 .. looks like the best value ..

any experience

will use it for kontank heavy orchestra samples

and pro tools

maybe spending about 1200 dlls maybe more if i really really like it

www.ensenadatourguide.com https://www.facebook.com/ldstourguide

Will give tours for Keyboards :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would simply recommend investing the money in a nice MacBook Pro. You'll have a beautiful machine that will serve you well for many years. And you'll be able to spend more time making music and less time futzing around with your computer.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

But doing hackingtosh looks like a better deal for that with the right one

If you are considering a Hackintosh do some very thorough research. It can be as good as a MBP but you need to be confident you are a cutting edge geek to achieve that.

My advice, and that of others here, for folk wanting a lower cost entry into a MBP is to get a refurb high spec 2012 machine.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

My son built me a Hackintosh desktop. I will say this as a former Director of Technology, and a close observer of my son's build:

If you already have the experience and technical chops to build a functioning Hackintosh, you confidently know that already and probably don't need the encouragement or support of forum members.

If you're not sure you have the experience and technical chops, it's the kind of project where you probably don't want to wade into those waters alone. Refer to the three responses above (keybdwizrd, The Real MC and Markay).

after looking at what people have done with Hakingtosh and what they get for their money .. its hard to move to a Realmac..

everebody keeps saying that at half the price the got double the performance .. .

yes best would be a mac. . But i have to justify spending 3k+ for a NEW MBP

www.ensenadatourguide.com https://www.facebook.com/ldstourguide

Will give tours for Keyboards :)

I've given up on windows. I got a refurbished Mid 2010 and it smokes my Windows 10 Desktop and Laptop with 16 GB of DDR3

Case in point Studio One 3 took 3 min to boot on windows. My MBP boots it in 10 seconds.

Here are my specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

But i have to justify spending 3k+ for a NEW MBP

You can get a well-equipped MBP 15" for $1999? And probably save even more if you get a current model immediately after the new ones are released, most likely later this month? :idk

Also recommend the MBP. I have no issues with Windows really other than the fact that I love Logic Pro and it only works with Mac.

I prefer a laptop just because it can be mobile, but an Imac would be a solid choice also. We have two for family use (I don't want my teenager off "doing homework" in his room lol) and they are great machines.

My advice, and that of others here, for folk wanting a lower cost entry into a MBP is to get a refurb high spec 2012 machine.

The Apple refurb store has this http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macBook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5

Not exactly high spec but I imagine you could upgrade the HD and RAM.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

New MacBook Pro to be introduced later this month... :drool:

Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, GarageBand, and all the rest...

:2thu:

I like my Windows 10 desktop for gaming...

But my MacBook Pro is really sweet for music & hardware/software integration.

An October launch could be kinda cool. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I also like my MBP but don't try to be cheap. New models use soldered in memory that cannot be upgraded by the average techie user. Max out the memory and HD, even if you cut back on CPU or buy used. At least with my Windows notebooks I can add memory and put in a new 2TB SSD. I cannot do that with my MBP.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I also like my MBP but don't try to be cheap. New models use soldered in memory that cannot be upgraded by the average techie user.

Apple stores won't update them either.

It's the new profit model. If you want to add memory or HD space, you have to buy a new MBP. At least you can still expand HD space using the USB 3.0 port.

I knew this going in, and planned for the max I was going to need.

That's the reason the mid 2012 MBP are so popular. Upgradeable with Ram and HD/SSD.

Just ordered one today, 13" I5 8MB 240 GB SSD.

Refurbish with 1 year warranty, $980

( They are a bit more expensive here ).

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I am not sure it is an easy job to get Mac OS running on a Wintel laptop, unless you are willing to jump down and hack on Darwin a bit and surf message boards for KEXTs.

Building a desktop hackintosh is a relatively easy proposition, provided you stay in the bounds of TonyMacX86 recommendations. If you're experienced in assembling a computer, the hardware assembly is dead simple.

The complicated part of a successful hackintosh build is dealing with subtle issues that may arise during the software install. Desiring to dual-boot (or triple-boot if you want a linux distro in the mix) complicates the process considerably.

Also, since a hackintosh is not a Mac, upgrading the OS, while keeping all your settings, is not an easy affair.

If you're not experienced in this type of build, it can consume many frustrating hours trying to get a working system up.

I'd estimate that a custom hackintosh build of good price/performance hardware and a good 2k monitor would be of similar cost to a new iMac. Your hackintosh may beat the iMac in performance, but it certainly won't look as nice.

Of course there is satisfaction in doing your own build and putting in sweat labor. But again, if you're not experienced, it can be a frustrating experience.

I've built a few of them, but the charm has kind of worn off. At the end of the day, I still end up using Sonar on Windows as opposed to Logic on MacOs.

I'm a programmer by day and I really have tried to be platform agnostic. I don't get into the religious wars about OS and I am equally comfortable on a slackware linux box as I am on a Windows box. However, I usually find myself booted into Windows for the most part. Actually considering a Surface Pro as my next big computer purchase.

The MBP is a great piece of hardware. I still have 2009 MBP that I use on an almost daily basis. If you want a super reliable machine that will last forever and allow you to focus on being a user rather than a tinker, then an MPB is a great choice and well worth the price overhead.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Never had ANY issues with windows laptops. Been using them with music for years The stories you hear from Apple people are mostly exaggerated. And there are some stories about apples too ;)

Anyway I would recommend any laptop that folds flat (like a tablet) with touchscreen capability for live use. The "clamshell" look is a bit naff from a visual p.o.v. on stage imo, and is also more prone to being knocked.

There is no doubt Macs are decent machines but they are WAY overpriced for what you get.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

One issue with windows laptops is DPC latency...as far as I know Macs and similarly-built Windows laptops (Clevo, Sager etc) do not suffer from this. Just make sure the model you want isn't prone to it, as it can hit just certain models/years for a given brand. It's been discussed here before, I'm certainly no expert on it. The end result is latency that you can't really do much about.

To be sure I have no idea if this is still an issue with newer laptops, I last did music on windows with XP.

Never had ANY issues with windows laptops. Been using them with music for years The stories you hear from Apple people are mostly exaggerated.

I've been using Windows since WFW311 - that's 1993 for you young 'uns. My frustrations about Windows are HARDLY exaggerated.

There is no doubt Macs are decent machines but they are WAY overpriced for what you get.

Sorry but they are not overpriced. They are well worth the money. Windows may be cheaper, but the frustrations were NOT worth the savings.

I have to agree with Miden. Even through I have and use 2 MBP's (late 2012 and mid 2014), I recently opted for a rack mount Windows machine. I did so because of my frustration with the lack of upgrades available for the MBP. It has reached a point where the limited SSD choices are not enough and I wanted more than 16 meg memory. I'll tell you a big difference. Windows gives you problems right up front. You tweak, you manage, you turn the computer into a good music machine. Mac lulls you in with a machine that works well up front, then throws an upgrade at you that may or may not break half of your software. If you like surprises, get a Mac. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Sorry but they are not overpriced. They are well worth the money. Windows may be cheaper, but the frustrations were NOT worth the savings.
Just because they're worth the money and are less frustrating to use than Windows doesn't make them any less overpriced. ;) I sometimes get asked how much it would cost for someone to upgrade to what I have (for reading music, etc.), and have to sit them down before they faint because of how they're priced new. Yep, they're way too expensivebut thank goodness for the second hand/refurbished market. I have an iPad Pro 12.9" 128GB which would have cost me over $1500 CAD easily had I not gone to eBay, where I ended up getting it for almost half what you'd pay in a retail store.

I'll chime in as I'm still mostly on the Windows side but have been using a Mac at work for since 2010. My primary music desktop is a Windows computer but I've started also using the Mac for some music things as well.

There are wonderful things about the Mac. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and it is a beautiful and fast computer. Obviously the display is one of the best of the world. Things like Core audio just work. If you also have an iPhone or iPad there is a great thing about having all your devices in the Apple ecosystem.

For work my Macbook also has bootcamp so I can run Windows on it. I expect many of the Mac users here left the Windows world before Windows 10 was released. It is really a great experience overall. I much prefer the file system and the way things are organized on a Windows computer vs a Mac. In the photography world there have been many tests showing that the Windows side of a Macbook Pro runs apps like Photoshop and Lightroom much more efficiently than the Mac side. Unfortunately we can't say the same about our audio and music program as those are almost always reliant on third party ASIO drivers.

Bottom line, as long as you're buying decent hardware, I think the experience on Windows 10 rivals the Mac. You're just going to have to spend more time researching that purchase, including the audio interface that you pair with it.

Then there is the issue of price. MainStage is $29, programs like Cantible Performer are $199 and Cantible doesn't have any built-in instruments. I think most people are going to be using additional instruments besides the built-in ones but there is a lot great value with whats included such as Alchemy and more. That helps justify the higher Mac price.

If Steinberg, MOTU or some other company could come up with an inexpensive cross platform competitor to MainStage, things on the Windows side in particular would become very interesting.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Windows Laptops aren't necessarily cheaper. People tend to think they are because there are a plethera of poorly made cheap POS's available. To do it right though, ain't cheap. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my 2nd custom built Laptop (my 4th custom built DAW). It'll scream, it'll be rock solid & it'll have room to grow, but it ain't gonna be cheap.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Archived