Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

World Record Guitar $ale Made.

p90jr

'58 Gibson Explorer Breaks a "Most Expensive Guitar" Record

London-based guitar shop and Reverb seller Denmark Street Guitars has announced the sale of an original 1958 Gibson Explorer for the sum of $1,100,000.

This amount is believed to be the highest priced transaction ever for a single, non-artist-affiliated guitar.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never cared for a Gibson Explorer and until now, I wouldn't ever think about buying one. Since there are 18 more of these babies out there, it might be worth the time to look up a serial number if I happen to see an old one for sale some day... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

The myth continues and it goes to a poser rather than a player. One of my friends on Facebook called it a "squiretone" but of course never played one so is just blowing air.

Inherited funds most likely. I've had Clients and friends who were very rich and pretty frugal. Would drive an Olds rather than a Caddy type of thing.

After they croak the kids blow it away showing off with toys.

Perhaps it will appreciate in value more than the stock market...or maybe not.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

I wonder how much for the storage space it's going to sit in?

In all honesty, I can't say what I might do if I had that kind of money. (Q:"Why in hell did you buy an active volcano?" A:"It was for sale.") Still, I could live for the rest of my natural (or unnatural) live on $1 million+, and buy one of the perfectly good Korina reissues to play.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I doubt it will ever be played, again.

And that's the saddest part.

Truth.

Q: "Why in hell did you buy an active volcano?" A: "It was for sale."

:D:thu:

Still, I could live for the rest of my natural (or unnatural) live on $1 million+, and buy one of the perfectly good Korina reissues to play.

Or have a rrrreeeaalllly bitchin' custom-made axe made to your exacting specifications for a relative pittance... :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

From a financial point of view the guy might have enough $$$ so that it's not a big deal in his portfolio and provides diversification. Amazing to have that much money but some do.

When the item is sold tax rates would be on 50% of the profit earned rather than on 100% of the gain. Might be a good way to launder money because putting it in the bank can be traced.

A Capital Gain on an Asset is at 1/2 the usual tax rate. Finding another buyer might be a problem at those prices.

My question is: if you didn't know that the violin was a Stradivarius, and just PLAYED it, or listened to it being played, would you be willing to spend a million bucks on it??

Blindfold tests are good things, LOL.

Also, would a mediocre violinist suddenly begin to play like Heifetz if he had a Strad? Or if he had a Strad that belonged to Heifetz? Is there some MAGIC involved, or something?

Also, would a mediocre violinist suddenly begin to play like Heifetz if he had a Strad? Or if he had a Strad that belonged to Heifetz? Is there some MAGIC involved, or something?

Have you ever seen the movie The Red Violin?

If you play cool, you are cool.

@Bartholomew,

You MUST see The Red Violin!!! A brilliant film. Highly recommended.

I saw it long ago, and watched it again with my Grrrlfriend, Elizabeth, quite recently... :cool:

Rather than spend that much on a guitar I would likely never play, I would buy as many guitars and amps as I could and give the to kids that can't afford them.

GOOD CALL. :cool:

And let us not forget Rick and Pawnshop guys on tv. I could tell from looking at pickups alone they were totally out to lunch on a couple of guitars supposedly vintage original. One was a strat, the owner came in personally was a retired studio player who did the James Bond theme in London plus other really well-known tracks.

Original according to their "expert" except I saw a double-rail at the bridge...duh. Looked like the strings were an inch off the fretboard..a real "player".

Guess the public doesn't know the diff so that makes it OK for tv reality. Betcha somebody overpaid for that one also.

And let us not forget Rick and Pawnshop guys on tv. I could tell from looking at pickups alone they were totally out to lunch on a couple of guitars supposedly vintage original. One was a strat, the owner came in personally was a retired studio player who did the James Bond theme in London plus other really well-known tracks.

Original according to their "expert" except I saw a double-rail at the bridge...duh. Looked like the strings were an inch off the fretboard..a real "player".

Guess the public doesn't know the diff so that makes it OK for tv reality. Betcha somebody overpaid for that one also.

Nothing having to do with that show is in any way real. The producers seek out people to bring the objects, the Pawn Shop (not a real one) doesn't actually buy any of it and the experts aren't real.

Someone who lives in Vegas was laughing on a forum at seeing a guy he knows who works at a Guitar Shop there bring in the guitar that lives behind glass behind the counter with a story about it belonging to his dad who passed away or something, then they called an expert: the owner of the guitar store who owns the guitar, to appraise it.

Yes, let the buyer beware, LOL - just because a person is called an "expert" doesn't necessarily mean they are more knowledgeable than the rest of us. Often, they are LESS so, LOL, but there are a lot of gullible people out there. I KNOW, because I've been a victim on occasion.....

Archived