Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virtual drummer software (quick)

Redknife

What are some good software solutions for home use, Mac, virtual drummer backing, quick start. Since my iPad is in the system for virtual instruments and H9 control, it could be an iPad app I suppose.

I have Logic and Garage Band which have instituted the Drummer track function. This works fine but is limited in scope to a few styles. Reggae? Latin? nope (best I know).

I am aware of Band in a Box, but I really am just interested in a drum track. It seems that Band in a Box has more than I will use. I'm also concerned that it will actually take some time to get the desired simple background beat going.

Ideally, it would be pick style, pick tempo, and go. I know a lot of slower ways to get a backing track going but the goal here is quick and easy.

Does Toontrack EZ Drummer fit the description? Anything else?

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have EZ Drummer 2 and quite like it. They offer MIDI packs in a variety of styles, as well as add ons that include MIDI patterns as well as new drum samples specific for the style. It's not as dead simple to pick a style and go as you're looking for, but it's pretty close. The add on packs go on sale a couple of times a year as well, which is nice.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

You said "quick" in your original post.

An app for your iPad or an iPhone if you own one would be quickest (and cheapest).

In the past I've used and liked DrumCore and Band In A Box.

Years ago I had a Steinberg VST called Groove Agent. It was quick. There was an onscreen slider control that you could move to make the parts more or less busy. Dead easy.

I'd get a cheap app though - scroll down for a style and click and go for practising.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Cool. Great advice, videos and ideas. Those are the kinds of things I was looking for but somehow wasn't adept at finding on my own. I'm going to check these products out over the next few days. Thanks

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Archived