Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Outdated Eqpipment

bennyray

I have a Crown DC 300 power amp and 2 community spkr cabinets 15 inch w/horn that i never use and have not used in 15 yrs. I have powered speakers now. Never use them now and thought about selling them. I know they are not worth much now. Thoughts and opinions. I am trying to get rid of equipment that is of no use and not much value.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't comment on the value of your gear, but I happen to have a Peavey PV4C 500W stereo amp head with two Celestion C133 passive PA speakers. Bought them new in 1996 and they still sound great, so I'm not selling. But I rarely take them out to gigs anymore since I use a nifty little Behringer powered monitor on a pole, and the house PA does the rest - for my constantly gigging country band.

But the Peavey/Celestion combo will probably come in handy for my prog outfit, where the gigs are sparse, and the band membership cash-poorer (but the talent is surely there!). So, holding on to them.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

They may not be much value to you, but both are good brands and may bring in a decent dollar.

I own a large PA that sounds great. I have a lot of $$$ invested in it with reputable brands. There is better equipment today, but I got off the upgrade treadmill years ago and if it ain't broke I ain't replacing it. It goes with me after I leave the southern rock band but I definitely plan on using it in future groups.

Wow, that brings me back to 1976, when we had the same gear plus Peavey monitors. I think we used a little 4 channel Traynor mixer, because we only miked the vocals.

Traynor wasn't a bad mixer. At least you didn't use Kelsey mixers (showing my age here...).

I have been selling some 10 to 15 year old PA equipment. It would be less trouble to just give it away. Nice 8 channel Peavey PA Powered mixer - sold for $90. Crown Power Amp- Sold for $90. Beautiful EV mixer in Rack - can't sell for $85. People can buy Behringer type mixers and a couple of powered PA speakers for cheap.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

This makes me think of my 2nd mixer of all time, from back in the 80's, which I still own. Still the not-so-proud owner of one of these bad boys, in an ATA case, in the garage:

http://www.synthfind.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/arp-8-mixer-300x244.jpg

Yup, ARP made mixers back in the day. I'd get rid of it, but I don't have enough money to pay someone to take it off my hands.

At least you didn't use Kelsey mixers (showing my age here...).

That was my FIRST mixer, very close to this:

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/1/0711/18/vintage-kelsey-pro-club-1-mixer_1_f294e48fcdcf41222d3efab332a1bfa5.jpg

It was noisy and unreliable, and made everything you put in through it sound worse. Other than that, it was a fine mixer. Came built into its own road case, which I thought was convenient and pro.

No one ever told me I would have sounded better if I never opened that road case.

Haha. 1976 was when Community had fiberglass compression horns.

I had those with these god awful heavy drivers in sleds. Voice of the Theater style 15 horn loaded bass bins.

All with the Bi Amp brand crossover, eq, mixer, and 2 stereo Bi Amp amps.

All analog and actually too loud for most everything.

Those Community horns were way overkill.

Bi amping was the new "thing" back then.

I had a Tapco mixer and a generic small 15 with a piezo tweeter or two

In it. Powered by a peavey(ugh) amp. I think they were all heavy back then.

Now I have old JBL, crown, and peavey stuff that is taking up space and worth nothing.

John

Big, heavy, expensive and often crappy. It's nice to be reminded how lucky we are now with the quality, size and cost of new gear.

We/I hauled a Rhodes, big PA speakers, powered Sunn mixer, big guitar and bass amps.....argh. My back aches thinking about it....

Basement/workshop sound system? Backyard sound system for barbecues/parties? I'd probably just try to find some use for it, otherwise donate it to a school, church, or charity of your choice. Maybe toss it on CL for a couple weeks first to see if there are any bites, but you won't get much.

I managed to re-purpose my ancient PA into a decent system for small to mid sized gigs. I had a pair of 18" subs I built in the late 90s and a pair of Peavey SP5's. I modified the subs to take 4-pole speakons in/through, with 1/4" jacks on each splitting off the highs. I bought a Behringer iNuke 6000DSP and presonus 16ch rackmount digital mixer. Tossed the 8ch radial DI I already owned in the rack with it. Nice and compact - 6 space rack (I think) - a single 4-pole speaker cable to the first sub and chained to the second. Short 1/4" speaker cables from each sub to the top. Amo handles crossover, EQ and limiters. I set the whole thing up and tuned it all out using the software - you can draw custom EQ curves, set crossover where you want it, even do dynamic EQ, and set limiters based on actual power. Once I initially set it up, it's stored in the amp and the system actually sounds great. I even did an outdoor concert with a 5-PC for probably about 500-600 people, and while I had to drive it really hard, it sounded great. I think all said and done, between connectors, cable, amp, and mixer, I spend around $1700. Definitely cheaper than a new PA. Each guy was responsible for his own mic stand, mic, and active monitor (I used my k10). We had to borrow a set of drum miss from a friend.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Still have a TOA mixer and a JBL Urei power amp along with various other outdated stuff collecting dust in the garage. Just hearing about those voice of the theaters brings back bad flashbacks, lol!
Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5d, Yamaha S70xs, QSC K10s

Yup, ARP made mixers back in the day. I'd get rid of it, but I don't have enough money to pay someone to take it off my hands.

Jeez Tim - You probably could make a pretty penny if you found the right buyer: ie one of those hipster doofus guys. Look for the beard, suspenders, and funny looking bike --- then name your price.

Archived