Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bob Seger - Smokin' O.P.'s killer organ by Skip Knape!

LWP413

I grew up listening to my Dad's "Stranger in Town" and "The Distance" lp's a lot, as well as Seger's greatest hits and "Nine Tonight". Became a massive fan! Love Roy Bittan's piano on some of those classic tracks like Roll Me Away and The Fire Inside. And the other guys who play keys across his repertoire, great stuff.

Anyway, I'm going back into his early stuff now, and listened to Smokin O.P.'s for the first time this week. Damn, I can't stop listening. Skip Knape's organ playing is fantastic! Awesome solos.

Anybody have a) any thoughts, or b) any suggestions for albums with similar type of organ playing?

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PO0itx-NHw

Luke

www.crossroadband.co.za

www.lukepowellmusic.com

Yamaha DGX620, Yamaha PSR S710, Neo Instruments Mini Vent

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seger has some great tracks. Every try to copy the solo to "Against the Wind? Or the song "Night Moves" It's very stylized. "Roll me Away" is Roy and that song was in the movie "Mask"

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I listened to Noah a few years back and didn't really like it. But it's about time I tried again, I'm a little more open these days.

Yeah, fantastic keyboards throughout Seger's albums.

Luke

www.crossroadband.co.za

www.lukepowellmusic.com

I listened to Noah a few years back and didn't really like it. But it's about time I tried again, I'm a little more open these days.

Yeah, fantastic keyboards throughout Seger's albums.

Sorry, I was referring to Mongrel, not Noah. Im a couple cups of coffee short of my morning dose

You're talkin' about one of my all time favorite albums. When Smokin' O.P.'s came out I insisted that my band cover several songs from the album. We played Bo Diddley, If I Were a Carpenter, Turn on Your Love Light, and Love the One Your With.

If I Were a Carpenter has one of the truly great Hammond solos (and tones) ever put on vinyl. Skip has an amazing talent for improvising solos and never overplaying (like Greg Rollie, Gregg Allman, Rick Wright, etc). This solo is composed in such a way that the power of the solo is in the dynamics of the lines. So many things here... Which makes it truly iconic to me.

Another element to study is his drawbar manipulation throughout the song. Adding the whistle at specific moments... and my favorite, during the final verse at 3:00... building to the finale by tuning in the fundamentals in the high octaves (with the fast Leslie). So much in this song.

Several years ago my band was playing The Taste of Newport and Skip's band played right before us. I met him backstage and told him how much his playing influenced me. He was very gracious and modest. I had to ask, "How did you come up with that solo?" He answered: "I just played it in the studio. It just came out." Yup!

Oh yeah, and he is playing pedal bass as well.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEsvGEZcklo

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

You're talkin' about one of my all time favorite albums.

Oh man, I'm loving this album.

Is Skip still around? Any other albums he played on you could recommend?

Skip has an amazing talent for improvising solos and never overplaying... This solo is composed in such a way that the power of the solo is in the dynamics of the lines. So many things here... Which makes it truly iconic to me.

True that. Wonderfully skilled. Much to learn.

I love what he does on Let It Rock too. And Jesse James. And Bo Diddley.

In fact, I heard this just in time; have to put together some solos for a few new blues/rock tracks I'm doing, and this has been inspiring!

Luke

www.crossroadband.co.za

www.lukepowellmusic.com

That Seger Album is great! And I didn't even know it existed!

Oh yeah... One of the best kept secrets of the 70's. I was a huge Bob Seger System fan. After he disbanded the system he hooked up with fellow Detroit musicians Teagargen and VanWinkle and created this fine album. Blew me away when it was released.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Had to post these great Bob Seger System songs...

From Mongrel:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Now THAT's some Good ol' Detroit Rock!

Archived