Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

#909 Day - Over 30 New Products From Roland...

iluvchiclets

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rumors are swirling about re-issues of the TR-909, TR-808, and TB-303 as part of the Boutique line, which is kind of strange seeing the TR-8 has all the 808 and 909 sounds and the TB-3 has all the TB-303 sounds. Who knows? Will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve.

Rumors are swirling about re-issues of the TR-909, TR-808, and TB-303 as part of the Boutique line, which is kind of strange seeing the TR-8 has all the 808 and 909 sounds and the TB-3 has all the TB-303 sounds. Who knows? Will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve.

The three most overused instruments in modern music? That definitely sounds like the future. Redefined.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

The three most overused instruments in modern music? That definitely sounds like the future. Redefined.

Your thinking like a musician -- this is all business. Vintage is hot right now. If people are paying thousands of dollars for a 30 year old machine, then getting them to pay a few hundred for a re-issue is easy.

This is where we'll hear about their 8 voice VA priced at $999 - I'll opt for the DM12 if that's where it fits into their price tier.

The event is likely targeting their DJ+Performer EDM club/house/trance/industrial/dub step/glitch/wobble bass producers scene.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Rumors are swirling about re-issues of the TR-909, TR-808, and TB-303 as part of the Boutique line, which is kind of strange seeing the TR-8 has all the 808 and 909 sounds and the TB-3 has all the TB-303 sounds.

If the new TRs and TB use real analog circuitry, that would make a big difference. Roland has recently dipped their toes in the true analog realm again with their JD-XA and JD-Xi synths, so it's not totally out of the question.

Rumors are swirling about re-issues of the TR-909, TR-808, and TB-303 as part of the Boutique line, which is kind of strange seeing the TR-8 has all the 808 and 909 sounds and the TB-3 has all the TB-303 sounds.

If the new TRs and TB use real analog circuitry, that would make a big difference. Roland has recently dipped their toes in the true analog realm again with their JD-XA and JD-Xi synths, so it's not totally out of the question.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even though the TR-8 and TB-3 pretty much nail the original sounds, the purists won't be able to resist if they are indeed true analog. Should be an interesting day, to say the least! :)

I got money on there being a D-50 Boutique.

Oh goody. A four-voice D-50 the size of a tablet? No thanks.

http://cdn.pophangover.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/funnyanimalfunnydog-3a174870730283d50ddb33cc307750f9_h.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

This is where we'll hear about their 8 voice VA priced at $999

I know it may not be a popular opinion, but here's hoping that will come true. I may be in the minority, but I simply love the sound of the System 1 and Roland's ACB technology. The available plug-outs are stunning to my ears as well.

Ultimately it comes down to the sound (for me). It doesn't have to be real analog. I do like the nostalgic side of sounds admittedly, but analog doesn't necessarily mean great. Another example would be the Minilogue. It didn't really grab me in any way. I was all set to love it (and cherish it and buy it) but after renting one for the weekend I decided against it.

I though the Reface CS was more interesting sounding, and got me into weirder territory much quicker!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Too much cynicism chaps...

Regardless of the products announced, I have to credit Roland for organising an impressive online music event, with live streams from different cities around the world.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Too much cynicism chaps...

Regardless of the products announced, I have to credit Roland for organising an impressive online music event, with live streams from different cities around the world.

I just think a lot of people are still feeling the sting from the Boutique build-up and subsequent let down. Yes the online event is cool, I just hope it doesn't end up being a "Gabo is coming" type of thing.

I agree with iluvchiclets - a good VA would be great, if it had the ease of use interface of the Gaia but was better sounding.

Actually, I'm really hoping they will come out with a VR-10 combo organ, and basically provide the full promise that the VR-09 gets close to

I have it on usually reliable source that the TR style drum machine(s) to be introduced will follow Roland's roadmap started with the Aira line. ACB based analog style for the digital age at a good price. Same for the 8 voice plugout.

I have it on usually reliable source that the TR style drum machine(s) to be introduced will follow Roland's roadmap started with the Aira line. ACB based analog style for the digital age at a good price. Same for the 8 voice plugout.

Having a hard time understanding how this TR is going to differ from the current TR-8 which is ACB/Aria with 808, 909 plus 707/727 options. Plugouts don't play nicely on my Mac unfortunately.

Busch.

Having a hard time understanding how this TR is going to differ from the current TR-8 which is ACB/Aria with 808, 909 plus 707/727 options.

They also added the 606 in a recent update of the expansion pack. I'm not sure how they are going to make a new TR-X differ from the TR-8 either. Maybe they will add a pattern chain / song mode? That's one thing TR-8 users have been asking for.

The "source" said something to the effect of plugouts of the boutique synths running on a System-8. Also, in the other direction, the TR-808/909 Aira stuff being offered as boutique to go with that entry level stuff.

I can accept all this small stuff but the boutique goes too far for me. The controls are uncomfortably close and I can't move them with precision. I've be using NI Maschine a lot more lately. We'll see if Roland can offer anything I can't get with it.

Busch.

... I've be using NI Maschine a lot more lately. ...

The Maschine hardware and software look beautiful and tightly integrated. But since I don't make beat/clip based music, I have no idea what I might do with it.

Do you mind telling us what you're doing? This gear looks so cool, I'd love to find a few use cases ...

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

... I've be using NI Maschine a lot more lately. ...

The Maschine hardware and software look beautiful and tightly integrated. But since I don't make beat/clip based music, I have no idea what I might do with it.

Do you mind telling us what you're doing? This gear looks so cool, I'd love to find a few use cases ...

Well I do make clip or pattern based music. That's primarily where I'll start. I do use pre-made loops a lot, because I'm not the greatest at coming up with slamming drum beats, not by a long shot. But Maschine has tons and tons of great kits, stuff that's more noises and synthetic, so I can come up with something that sounds interesting, but it actually might be quite simple. I don't use it to make realistic drum tracks or patterns, I suppose you could. For that I would use EzDrummer or pre-made loops. You can use Maschine with or without the hardware, and for me sometimes software only is just fine. Maschine also allows sub-divisions down to 128th notes, which is far beyond the Roland stuff I believe. At least far beyond the original Roland grid. The 128th note div is great for glitchy stuff. I only have the Mikro hardware. I cruise CL looking for a great deal on better/newer hardware, but it's not a big priority. At the moment I'm not doing that much music creation as I'm trying to finish up my Kontakt instruments and website.

Busch.

Thanks, Busch. This probably isn't for me. I'll keep using EzDrummer and aiming for realistic. As for glitchy, I do that naturally. :)

I bet you'll eventually find a good CL deal on the hardware. Seems like the kind of gear where wanna-be producers get in way over their head.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Archived