Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NY Doors Keyboardists

Shamanczarek

Robby seemed a bit skeptical at first about my Casio WK-3800. I showed him what it could do and he was very impressed with how well it can replicate the Doors keyboard sounds. He said they will have to get one.

Very cool. Can you elaborate on the sounds you use it for? Just curious....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a wk3800. I got it for its drawbar organ sounds which i was impressed by until i read this forum and became ashamed i didnt have an xk3c. And also that no videos of rock legends or even wanabbes like me showed people using them. I thought the EPs, pads and even the mellowtronish things were very usable. It was slightly unreliable if i recall. Sometimes stored patches got lost or corrupted. Im glad to hear a wk carried the day and impressed a rock star. Im sure it has more to do with the player though.

FunMachine.

Just got back from the Suffolk Theater show. Got there for soundcheck at about 3:30 and there was a group of guys standing in the parking lot. When I got out of the car they approached me and wanted me to sign a stack of Doors and Butts band albums, photos of the Krieger band, and two electric guitars. Not sure who they thought I was but I went along with it and signed everything. Then they asked me if I could find Phil Chen and send him out. I went in and told him some guys wanted him sign some things. He says "For $5000". He then went out and signed their items.

So I got my keyboards set up and unfortunately the Vox organ had a major malfunction which made it unusable. I was bummed but the Casio saved the day and I don't think anybody even noticed.

Overall, the show was a great success. We had a full house and the band was in fine form. Somehow a Doors tribute vocalist bandmate of mine got himself backstage without my help and talked to Robby quite a bit. To my surprise Robby called him up to sing Roadhouse Blues and he put on a spectacular performance. It sure made the night for him and Waylon who put on an excellent performance himself was very gracious and didn't seem to mind.

More about that Casio. It is a cheap keyboard that most players would not give serious consideration but it is uncanny how such an inexpensive instrument can replicate the signature Doors keyboard sounds. For instance, the Honky Tonk Piano sounds amazing on Moonlight Drive and also works well for People are Strange, and Love Her Madly. The Rhodes sound is absolutely perfect for Riders on the Storm and LA Woman. With some tweaking I was able to program a really good Vox organ simulation as well as a very credible Gibson G101 sound. The Casio allows you to program a Release time on the organ sounds so you can get the long sustain for Waiting for the Sun or the short sustain as used on Touch Me and live renditions of Roadhouse Blues and Who Do You Love. It also does a great Wild Child overdriven Hammond. I demonstrated all these sounds to Robby at the rehearsal and they met with his approval. I've had the Casio for almost ten years and it has never failed. It sure saved the gig for me tonight.

On to the Highline Ballroom Sunday 9/25 in New York City.

Here is a photo from last night 9/24/16:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210590245614689&set=a.1456132885652.62149.1303245871&type=3&theater

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Well, it's back to reality today. I was alone at the Highline Ballroom after Robby and everybody had left packing up my gear after the show last night. I feel like I have known Robby and the band for years even though it has been less than a week. When I first met Robby on Wednesday I was so in awe of being there with him that I didn't quite know how to approach him but after a couple of days we were talking and hanging out like old friends. He was great about letting my friends come back stage and hanging with him. The rest of the band and crew are all kindred spirits devoted to Robby and the music of The Doors. I felt right at home with everybody.

I arrived at the Highline Ballroom in NYC at about 3:30 for soundcheck. The crew was there but Robby and the band didn't arrive until about 8:30 since there was an opening act on this show. I brought my 1966 Italian Continental as my US-made organ had failed the night before. Also had my Casio which goes with me to nearly every gig I play. Owen the drum tech, Forrest the guitar tech and I ran through several Doors songs that Robby doesn't do in his show. These guys are great players and can sub for the regular band members if needed. Forrest does come on stage to play second guitar with Robby on LA Woman, Lover Her Madly, and Maggie M'Gill. After soundcheck everyone went to the Chelsea Market across the street to get something to eat. Went back over to the Highline and there was long line of people waiting to get in so I hung out and talked to several fans. The Apocalypse Blues Band was the opening act. They are from Florida and the Bass player is also in Blackfoot with Rickey Medlocke. Robby and the band made their entrance during the opening band's set to cheers from the crowd. We opened the night with When the Music's Over and though we had a set list Robby called different songs throughout the show. Once again Robby called my bandmate Mike Padron up to sing. This time he did Soul Kitchen. Mike really channeled the Jim Morrison vibe sounding a lot like him and doing all his moves. It was another very successful show for Robby and the band. Waylon Krieger has posted many photos from the show on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=waylon%20krieger

Will I ever get to play with Robby again? I don't know but it was an amazing week that I'll never forget. Thank you everyone for your good wishes.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Archived