Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend decent low priced used board

RandyFF

Would never get a Triton however, they EQ their boards towards an upper midrange/treble that I really don't like, and the Triton offends the worst of any of their boards I've heard.

Hmmm. EQ is an adjustable effect. :cool:

I've had a Triton for almost 16 years and the low end will peel the paint off the wall, especially with the MOSS board. These keyboards are meant to be programmed. If you don't like a sound, change it.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The williams line is HIGHLY suspect.

The S80 is a good pick - that's pre S90 - a lot less in the ROM - similar action WITH AFTERTOUCH if that gets you hot and bothered. No internal speakers like the PX-150. But built like a tank at 53.8lbs - or what we used to call Yamaha quality.

Yeah, pass. 40 pounds is the max upper limit weight wise. But yeah, aftertouch!!!!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I always get a kick out of people with ridiculously low budgets and ridiculously high standards. :snax:

Meaning you kick yourself when you realize that by being well informed and patient there's incredible bargains to be had on used gear? Or that they kick you for being a doubter?

Would never get a Triton however, they EQ their boards towards an upper midrange/treble that I really don't like, and the Triton offends the worst of any of their boards I've heard.

Hmmm. EQ is an adjustable effect. :cool:

I've had a Triton for almost 16 years and the low end will peel the paint off the wall, especially with the MOSS board. These keyboards are meant to be programmed. If you don't like a sound, change it.

True, EQ is adjustable. When I had my M3 I certainly adjusted the EQ, but there IS a sound that every manufacturer seems to default to, and I never liked that sound with the Korg. I'm more sensitive than most in the upper mids/treble, I'm always the first to say too much, like in a club where the dj is blowing our eardrums out. I know some people think you can't get enough of those frequencies and that it helps you cut through the mix, but not me.

The Moss board sounds cool, I never got it, would have been a good addition.

I do have an I device and have been playing around with it lately. I haven't gotten past the point where I'm playing more than one sound at a time, guess I'll need to learn about audiobus and the like.

If you're just looking to do splits and layers from multiple apps, iMidiPatchbay is probably the easiest app to manage that, especially for someone who owns a Nord Stage, as they basically copied that interface.

Yeah, some of the Casio PX series look compelling. They upgraded their sounds and their keybeds if I remember right, it'd be good to know at what point they became acceptable.

It's a matter of opinion. But if you didn't like the CDP-100, I wouldn't hold out much hope for finding any Casio you like (or any weighted action board that doesn't weigh a ton) in the price range you want.

Yeah, I've seen the MZ x500 for as low as $900, but it was used. This is a new board so I prefer having a warranty.

You don't have to get the demo model, the new model isn't that much more and still has the interest free financing.

The PX-150 seems a likely fit, lightweight, the latest action Casio offers (?), speakers, etc., its biggest drawback is the small number of voices.

And the speakers are pretty poor, and IIRC the rhodes sound is not as good as the CDP-100 you were unimpressed with. But your choices are limited.

The S80? Have you played it?

I think it's a nice sounding board. Heavy, though. And the interface is a bit of a pain.

Initially, your needs sounded pretty minimal, basically just a step-up from the WK-7500 in action and b&b sounds... but with all the stuff you're dismissing for action or sounds, I'll take back my earlier comment and say, yeah, it's going to be tough to stay in the price range you want. If you stretch a little, and give up on weighted actions (compromising away from piano playing), I'd look at Yamaha MX61 and Kurzweil SP4-7, which I think will meet most of your other requests apart from the built-in speakers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

With weight you have suck it up sometimes. We are playing keyboards people not a freakin violin. I don't like extra heavy gear either but this what you sign up for.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

XP-80, how does it feel? Sound?

I like the sounds from my XP-80, especially when I have a pile of SRJV cards I can throw in it to expand on it. I've always thought the XP/JV series have had a good variety of sounds. I'm not sure what you mean by "bread and butter" sounds or if there's something in particular you're looking for, but I'd think the expandability would be a plus. The expansion boards are typically floating out there used... it just depends what you're looking for and how picky you are. You could always tweak them too.

I like the keybed. They advertise it as semi-weighted. I've always felt that I have pretty good control over my volume without having to ride the volume slider. Again, I think this one is how picky you are about it... if you try out any XP/JV series synth from that era, I think they all have the same action.

I think the last one I saw on Craigslist was for around $300. Definitely not more than $500.

It's 64-note polyphony, and it's a little under 30 pounds. No onboard speakers. I think that covers five out of the six things you were looking for!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Was there a big upgrade of sounds and sound quality from the original to .1 and .2?

AFAIK, the ROM capacity remained the same through all those iterations of the QS line (16MB internal ROM, if I remember correctly). The ".1" and the ".2" series changed the sounds in the User Bank (the ".1" may even have new sounds in the ROM banks), and all but the ".2" line had dual card slots for up to 8MB expansion for each slot, and lots of auxiliary outputs including digital output. The ".2" (silver) series lopped off a lot of the aux outputs etc. and only 1 card slot for expansion. Also there is no "7.2" (there is no 76-key version of the ".2" series).

The great thing about these boards is that you can burn your own samples onto a Flash-ROM Card using "Soundbridge" software and a computer. You couldn't do it on the board's own interface, though. I made my own acoustic piano and Rhodes samples for my QS8.2 and I still use those custom sounds. Ray Manzarek of The Doors even had a tech create custom samples for him when he was gigging the QS8.2 some 12 or 13 years ago. It's a pretty nifty board with a good MIDI spec (up to 15 splits!), and all the multitimbrality you would ever need.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I have a Roland E-16 which is light weight, 61 keys, upper to lower split, drum kits, modulation button (not adjustable) and pitch shift buttons up and down (only goes up or down one step), recorder, built in speakers, not the most up to date sounds but you have pianos, organs, synths, wind instruments, violin sounds, and more.

Mine is from 1993, so I was not sure how much they were going for. Just saw they have them from anywhere from $99 (speakers no longer work on that one) to $150 and shipping looks reasonable.

If you might be interested, just search for "Roland E-16" and the two I mentioned will come up in search.

There are also some demo videos on You Tube if you want to hear what it sounds like.

Mine is 23 years old and while I do not gig with it, it has held up quite well and can handle the as of late rare times I would take her out of the house.

:)

check out the Yamaha NP series stuff. Seems to tick the boxes you're after if you can handle the action.
Viscount Legend, Leslie 142, Nord Stage 3 HA88, Rhodes MK1 1977, Moog Sub 37, Dave Smith Rev2, Juno 106, DX7

Yamaha NP have imho a better synth-weighted action than the krome/moxf/fa series - I quite like the action. The V60 and V80 have a range of sounds and auto-accompaniment.

No 5-pin MIDI though I believe (which might not be an issue for the OP).

Cheers, Mike

Something weird happened with this post, you'll have to scroll within the quote stuff to see my responses

I do have an I device and have been playing around with it lately. I haven't gotten past the point where I'm playing more than one sound at a time, guess I'll need to learn about audiobus and the like.

If you're just looking to do splits and layers from multiple apps, iMidiPatchbay is probably the easiest app to manage that, especially for someone who owns a Nord Stage, as they basically copied that interface.

Thanks, very helpful.

Yeah, some of the Casio PX series look compelling. They upgraded their sounds and their keybeds if I remember right, it'd be good to know at what point they became acceptable.

It's a matter of opinion. But if you didn't like the CDP-100, I wouldn't hold out much hope for finding any Casio you like (or any weighted action board that doesn't weigh a ton) in the price range you want.

My understanding is the latest gen Previa boards have an improved keybed, similar to a PX-5s, which would be a considerable improvement over the CDP-100. On EBay I saw a PX-350 last night for $450 (had an inconsequential crack). Part of my desire is to have a decent board so that I have something to play while selling my NS Classic and saving up to buy a NS 2.

The S80? Have you played it?

I think it's a nice sounding board. Heavy, though. And the interface is a bit of a pain.

Initially, your needs sounded pretty minimal, basically just a step-up from the WK-7500 in action and b&b sounds... but with all the stuff you're dismissing for action or sounds, I'll take back my earlier comment and say, yeah, it's going to be tough to stay in the price range you want. If you stretch a little, and give up on weighted actions (compromising away from piano playing), I'd look at Yamaha MX61 and Kurzweil SP4-7, which I think will meet most of your other requests apart from the built-in speakers.

I'll check them out.

With weight you have suck it up sometimes. We are playing keyboards people not a freakin violin. I don't like extra heavy gear either but this what you sign up for.

Yes and ah... No! That's my attitude as well, but my body is starting to strongly protest. These days 40 pounds, like my Stage, is the upward limit.

Yamaha NP have imho a better synth-weighted action than the krome/moxf/fa series - I quite like the action. The V60 and V80 have a range of sounds and auto-accompaniment.

Cheers, Mike

I'll check it out next time I'm at GC. MIDI is important for using IOS apps though.

my body is starting to strongly protest. These days 40 pounds, like my Stage, is the upward limit.

Same with me. Even moving the older 61-key boards around can be a chore.

My understanding is the latest gen Previa boards have an improved keybed, similar to a PX-5s, which would be a considerable improvement over the CDP-100. On EBay I saw a PX-350 last night for $450 (had an inconsequential crack).

I didn't think you'd find a PX-350 in your price range, but yeah, it's worth considering. It does have their newest weighted action, has a lot more sounds and better sounding speakers than the PX150, and has a line input so you could play your i-device through it, which is nice because I don't think the sounds in the PX-350 are so great. (In fact, I think the EP on the CDP-100 was better.)

I'll check it out next time I'm at GC. MIDI is important for using IOS apps though.

Those models have no MIDI port, so you can't directly connect them to another keyboard, but they do have USB, which is generally all you need to be able to do MIDI with an i-device. But double-check because IIRC, some Yamaha boards required special drivers to do MIDI over USB, which is fine on a computer, but you can't install custom drivers on an i-device.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Those models have no MIDI port, so you can't directly connect them to another keyboard, but they do have USB, which is generally all you need to be able to do MIDI with an i-device. But double-check because IIRC, some Yamaha boards required special drivers to do MIDI over USB, which is fine on a computer, but you can't install custom drivers on an i-device.

The Yamaha iUX1 should work with these. I think it talks "custom-Yamaha USB MIDI".

Cheers, Mike.

The Yamaha iUX1 should work with these. I think it talks "custom-Yamaha USB MIDI". Although if you're using an iDevice, do you need internal sounds?

Cheers, Mike.

Although if you're using an iDevice, do you need internal sounds?

Nice to have for backup, or simple turn-it-on-and-play, or wanting to play something like a piano sound with no concern about latency. And in some cases, boards may have some particularly good internal sounds or particularly good interface/ergonomics for working with those sounds.

But also, for quick/simple setups where you don't need much volume, it's nice to be able to connect the i-device to the board and play it through the board's speakers. There are no soundless controllers with built-in speakers.

My understanding is the latest gen Previa boards have an improved keybed, similar to a PX-5s, which would be a considerable improvement over the CDP-100. On EBay I saw a PX-350 last night for $450 (had an inconsequential crack).

Scott wrote:

I didn't think you'd find a PX-350 in your price range, but yeah, it's worth considering. It does have their newest weighted action, has a lot more sounds and better sounding speakers than the PX150, and has a line input so you could play your i-device through it, which is nice because I don't think the sounds in the PX-350 are so great. (In fact, I think the EP on the CDP-100 was better.)

---------------------

Hmmm.... EP and Piano are of equal importance to me. I tend to play more Wurlitzer than Rhodes, on the Stage their surprisingly small Wurlitzer you can really dig into for a bite / growl. I remember the CDP-100 EP. It was somewhat serviceable, but dull and one dimensional compared to what I get on the Stage. On the WK 7600 there's exactly one EP, 006, that sounds any good, it's the only one that seems to have even more than 1 layer, and you have to dig so hard for that growl you end up bottoming out the keys.

I'll have to check out the PX350 at GC with headphones. Yes, the speakers on the PX 350 are underwhelming, but onboard speakers are not that terribly important to me unless they really do have power, like the Korg SP 270 or the Yamaha CP 300, and presumably, the new Casio MZ-X500. To be able to show up at a small jam and have nothing but a keyboard, stand and a few pedals to setup, and actually sound good and be heard, is pretty sweet. Though I'm not complaining these days since I got a K10, I think it's a fantastic sounding keyboard speaker / monitor.

I'm very tempted by the new Casio PX-560 as well. But if I have a NS, I'd be overlapping in functionality, and the Stage is the only board I have truly loved (other than a JX-10 back in the 80's). If I'm going to spend real money (over $1k), I'd want something the Stage doesn't have, which is all the pads and sequencing and speakers, etc., that the FA series (no speakers) or MZ-X500 has. I saw a used FA08 for $1,000 just recently, so that's a possibility as well.

I've been saving so I could sell my NS Classic and jump up to a NS2, if for no other reason than I'm worried about its longer term reliability. I can certainly live with my Classics limitations compared to the NS2, but I've had a few things go wrong with my Stage (mostly switches, but it has resolved itself by itself) and haven't heard much if anything on the longer term reliability of this board.

However, having a perfectly serviceable used board like my NS Classic has its advantages as well, I do take it out to the park and jam away (glorious setting to play music!!!), and I'd be much more reluctant to take a $3k NS2 to the park, which at the moment is one of my main musical outlets. When I went car camping this summer and had the chance to play singalongs with family, I couldn't bring myself to bring the Classic. And I was right, there was just too much dirt and unpredictability. And my confidence to play was pretty much zilch using the WK 7600. Have grown to hate that board!

As you can see I go back and forth and back and forth on keyboard buying decisions! So input from everyone is very much appreciated!

I go back and forth and back and forth on keyboard buying decisions!

Of course that never happens to anyone else here on the forum. :laugh:

Surely you jest sir!

After spending upwards of $4k on the XS7 when it first came out and selling it for $1,400 a few years later, I realized what I don't know can be more important than what I think I know. I hadn't had a serious board for over 15 years, and suddenly with some inheritance money I thought the XS7 would be the workstation that would inspire me. Nope. The sounds never grabbed me, and the amount of time learning how to use it, find the best sounds and have them organized, etc., was just ridiculous. With thousands of sounds and much of the UI designed for and by engineers, I wasted a lot of time with that board. It was only after a friend suggested the Nords and I found a deal for a slightly dinged up NS Classic was I up and running with something that I could relate to.

Which is why if I'm going to get a "workstation", it needs to be user friendly (both the MZ-X500 and FA series are known for this). It's also why I do a lot of research these days and try not to make assumptions, and look for boards that at least have the basics: good keybed and inspiring sounds.

I hadn't had a serious board for over 15 years, and suddenly with some inheritance money I thought the XS7 would be the workstation that would inspire me. Nope. The sounds never grabbed me, and the amount of time learning how to use it, find the best sounds and have them organized, etc., was just ridiculous. With thousands of sounds and much of the UI designed for and by engineers, I wasted a lot of time with that board.

I had a similar experience. I bought a Motif XS6 with really high hopes. It was fun at first, but the sounds were too "polite" for my taste and the user interface was convoluted compared to my Triton. I hung in there and created some good sounds, but the XS just wasn't coming through in a live mix. One of my friends is looking for a keyboard, so I'm hoping to sell him the Motif. It's in great shape and I have the manual as well.

You know, I still can't get over people who don't get the manual when they buy a used keyboard. I guess the previous owner chucked it. :(

I thought the XS7 would be the workstation that would inspire me. Nope. The sounds never grabbed me

So ignore my suggestion about looking at an MX61.

I hadn't had a serious board for over 15 years, and suddenly with some inheritance money I thought the XS7 would be the workstation that would inspire me. Nope. The sounds never grabbed me, and the amount of time learning how to use it, find the best sounds and have them organized, etc., was just ridiculous. With thousands of sounds and much of the UI designed for and by engineers, I wasted a lot of time with that board.

I had a similar experience. I bought a Motif XS6 with really high hopes. It was fun at first, but the sounds were too "polite" for my taste and the user interface was convoluted compared to my Triton. I hung in there and created some good sounds, but the XS just wasn't coming through in a live mix. One of my friends is looking for a keyboard, so I'm hoping to sell him the Motif. It's in great shape and I have the manual as well.

You know, I still can't get over people who don't get the manual when they buy a used keyboard. I guess the previous owner chucked it. :(

Thank you! I've felt in a total minority regarding my reaction to the XS7 sounds. SOOO many people think they're the bees knees, but I wasn't inspired by many of them at all. Whereas with the Stage, so few sounds and I liked nearly all of them. There's a few things I'd like to be able to tweak more, like velocity scaling to even out a sound over the whole range, but for the most part the Stage sound simply works for me. And esp. Since I got the K10, I'm back in love with the pianos as my main instrument over the EPs.

Though that begs the question, if I'd had a better sound system like the K10, would I have liked the XS7 sounds more? I played a Montage in a GC recently that had their HS5 monitors w/sub, and the sound was exquisite. Never knew until recently how important the speakers were in the equation!

I've felt in a total minority regarding my reaction to the XS7 sounds. SOOO many people think they're the bees knees, but I wasn't inspired by many of them at all. Whereas with the Stage, so few sounds and I liked nearly all of them.

Nord Stage Classic basically does 3 things: tonewheel organ modeling, VA synth, and pianos. XS7 doesn't really do the first two, and is not as good as the Nord for the third. The XS7, though, gives you all the rompler sounds (strings, brass, winds, guitars, etc.) which the Nord doesn't give you at all. So the overlap in the sonic strengths of the two boards is almost non-existant. It basically depends which categories of sounds you're really looking for.

Does your Nord have the 76/88 weighted action or the 73 SW?

I always get a kick out of people with ridiculously low budgets and ridiculously high standards. :snax:

Meaning you kick yourself when you realize that by being well informed and patient there's incredible bargains to be had on used gear? Or that they kick you for being a doubter?

LOL... keep on doing what you're doing, Don Quixote! :2thu::wave::rawk:

if I'd had a better sound system like the K10, would I have liked the XS7 sounds more? I played a Montage in a GC recently that had their HS5 monitors w/sub, and the sound was exquisite. Never knew until recently how important the speakers were in the equation!

Well, yeah... the sound system makes a big difference, especially with a sub. But no matter what I did with the Motif, it would never cut through a mix like my Triton. I was always told to "turn the keyboard down, the signal is too hot" with the Triton.

:laugh:

I've felt in a total minority regarding my reaction to the XS7 sounds. SOOO many people think they're the bees knees, but I wasn't inspired by many of them at all. Whereas with the Stage, so few sounds and I liked nearly all of them.

Nord Stage Classic basically does 3 things: tonewheel organ modeling, VA synth, and pianos. XS7 doesn't really do the first two, and is not as good as the Nord for the third. The XS7, though, gives you all the rompler sounds (strings, brass, winds, guitars, etc.) which the Nord doesn't give you at all. So the overlap in the sonic strengths of the two boards is almost non-existant. It basically depends which categories of sounds you're really looking for.

Does your Nord have the 76/88 weighted action or the 73 SW?

I've got the 88 note. Some people have complained about it, but I like the action. Tried the NS2 EX 88 and like it even more.

You make a good point. I mostly play bread and butter sounds: AP/ EP / Organ with some VA synth thrown in. I don't really miss the rompler sounds much, but there have been occaisions when I needed them. The Stage Classic doesn't support MIDI thru USB, have to get a special IOS to MIDI cable, and as you probably know, there's no audio in on the Stage, so it's a bit of a pain.

I mostly play bread and butter sounds: AP/ EP / Organ with some VA synth thrown in. I don't really miss the rompler sounds much, but there have been occaisions when I needed them.

Okay, then I'm back to the Kurzweil SP4-7 (and remember you can download sounds besides the stock ones into it).

Archived