Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ex's and Oh's synth sound

Our band has just worked this Elle King tune into our show and I've been working on programming that minimalist synth part that is tracked.Her live performances has her keyboardist using a Nord Stage. Because I own an Electro5 73D,I have access to the the large Nord sound library, but have been gravitating to my Jupiter 50 and am experimenting with square wave pads, vocal-type programs as well as lead sounds that I have turned into polyphonic patches, while layering an ethereal program using vibraphone sample on my Electro. I would greatly appreciate hearing from some fresh ears on what direction I look to in getting a more accurate sounding program. Thanks in advance guys!

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a live TV appearance (Today Show):

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwivioswp1Q

Hope the rest of that gig is fulfilling for the KB player (I don't know any of her other music).

To respond to your question, it seems that as much about that patch is the FX (delay reverb ) to give it that "sonar ping" feel as the fundamental patch selection. If it was me, I'd experiment with triangle to square wave, drop the filter cutoff to soften it up, get the envelope correct, then dial up the FX. Hope that helps a little.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

That video is the one that I've been listening to the most to create that sound. This is probably the only tune we do that I could literally get off stage and order a cocktail at the bar and be back on before the drummer counts off the next tune. Unfortunately for me, the next tune is Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson, which has pretty in your face Wurlitzer sound in that the band gives me head nods on. I also cover those two wimpy little guitar tracks during the verses. We do lots of keyboard intense tunes to make up for these songs.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Mark

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Ha ha, I understand, Mark. A few of the bands I play in have one or two numbers like that - I ended up brushing off my rhythm guitar chops just to stay involved LOL Just don't catch up on Facebook during that tune.

Interestingly, Youtube serves up Elle King's next video to me - also live (in Nashville) giving us "My Pu$$y Song". Allllrightttty then...so it appears Ms. King has at least one dominant topic she likes singing about.

I play it based somewhat on the studio cut. It it a split lower board is a cx3 organ and synth layer. It doesn't sound very organy. The upper board is a triangle based synth patch that sounds like a glockenspiel and a whistle had a baby.

We do another Elle King tune called Americas Sweetheart. I decided to Eff it and I bring a banjo for that tune. Though sometimes I play some synth pedal tones during the bridge on the Kronos. Elle is a clawhammer player which I can't do worth a darn. I play Scruggs style with picks. It sounds more blue-grassy but I like it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

To respond to your question, it seems that as much about that patch is the FX (delay reverb ) to give it that "sonar ping" feel as the fundamental patch selection.

I like your choice of words; I've also referred to this sound as a 'sonar ping'. That got me to thinking about how Rick Wright achieved the sonar ping in Pink Floyd's Echoes - by routing his piano into a Leslie. Depending on how close you need to nail the sound, this could be an easy cheater's way to get something acceptable.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

That part does not inspire me at any level, so I just play some thick Hammond chords during the chorus and try to rock it out a bit.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm with Moonglow. I actually play a Wurlie sound on it and double the guitar/bass riff.

That Floyd ping alway sounded like Hammond percussion with no drawbars pulled out to me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived