Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing Disabled

DocPate

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont know just how this tuning works BF...????

The middle 4 strings are for playing major triads with a root note , all notes in a straight line ( same fret). Minors without a low root are on strings 123 all in a straight line . But the best way to use the tuning is strum chords up and down the neck using open strings and listening for the open ringing notes. That's where the disabled part comes in. You got partial open chords all up and down the fretboard if you look for them and can play all kinds of original sounding chord progressions with easy to finger shapes. Many can be played with 2 fingers. Great also for a couple of early Aerosmith songs. And if you take a solo with the 5 note blues scale all the riffs from standard tuning still work but might sound a bit funny in a couple spots but not out of key.

FunMachine.

• 2 weeks later...

If choosing between a lap steel and an acoustic dobro (which is the question on the proboards forum), I would go with an acoustic/electric dobro. I like the resonator sound. Mine is a square neck dobro made by Gretsch. It will play just like a lap steel so I really don't need both of them. I chose a cheaper model just to make sure I will be able to continue playing it with my hurt left hand and will continue to stay interested. Kind of like the advice you would give to a new guitar player: Don't go buying the expensive ones until you're sure you will stick with it...that's my back up plan to playing disabled if I have to give up the guitar some day... :cry:

Take care, Larryz

If choosing between a lap steel and an acoustic dobro (which is the question on the proboards forum), I would go with an acoustic/electric dobro. I like the resonator sound. Mine is a square neck dobro made by Gretsch. It will play just like a lap steel so I really don't need both of them. I chose a cheaper model just to make sure I will be able to continue playing it with my hurt left hand and will continue to stay interested. Kind of like the advice you would give to a new guitar player: Don't go buying the expensive ones until you're sure you will stick with it...that's my back up plan to playing disabled if I have to give up the guitar some day... :cry:

Sounds like great advice Larry. I hate to see another "picker" with hand issues, because I know it sucks not being able to do what always seemed so easy - let alone those very difficult pieces. I did find a local guitar shop that has some lap steels and resonators in stock and they will let me take a couple back into a room and try them out. Only thing is, I have to either take my own amp, or live with what they have in the practice room...which in my experience isn't the best. For the Reso, it doesn't make any difference, but I'd hate to turn down a good sounding electric lap steel and find out it was the amp all along.

I am nearing the end or near end of my playing days as things stand now. I don't know if I can get my c-spine problem fixed or whether it is the cause of my trapezoid muscle pain. I also have carpel tunnel in both hands, and a trapped ulnar nerve in my left elbow. Both of which require surgery. So far they do not hurt too bad and I exercise them, to keep them limber as well. Anyways I don't foresee a decade or more of playing, maybe some few years. I will take it day by day.....When the time comes to walk away from it, I will walk away without looking back and wishing. Until then I pick and grin every day that the wifey is out working or shopping.....

@ Doc, Thanks! I have been taking some Tart Cherry supplements for over a week now and they seem to be helping. I have less pain and hope they will continue working and will know more in another week or so. This situation comes to visit me once a year and then it subsides somewhat. So far (knock on wood) I'm still playing but as you indicated it is not as easy as it once was. I hope every guitar player can play as long as possible!

I think taking the amp you will be playing that lap steel or resonator through, is a great way to compare the two and pick the one you like best. They usually have some little cheap-o amp that you are not familiar with in the guitar store practice rooms... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived